Velocity plateaus in load testing: Why?

maximus otter

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Popsbengo said:

dang those variables !  Do you weigh, measure and select your primers? Not an ideal way to batch but I can't think of a better one.  One extra puff of energy and there goes that ES.

....or uniform primer pockets, or uniform flash holes, or uniform primer seating depth or check powder fill ratio for the load, or check powder burn rate for the barrel for that load...dang those variables again!

8 hours ago, Popsbengo said:

dang those variables !  Do you weigh, measure and select your primers? Not an ideal way to batch but I can't think of a better one.  One extra puff of energy and there goes that ES.

That's one step beyond for me I'm affraid 😆😅

3 hours ago, No i deer said:

That's one step beyond for me I'm affraid 😆😅

😂

Indeed....might be worth trying different ones though?  Uniforming flash holes with the Lyman (other flavours available) if just to remove the odd burr may help ignition consistency, and uniforming pockets is pretty easy to do, and only needs doing once so I do those things.  

Re primers and velocity:   Reading  Berger Reloading Vol.1  page 109:  "..primer variation can affect pressure by as much as 5% which equates to 2.5% velocity variation" For example  0.1gn var. on 40gn is only 0.25% - one order of magnitude smaller!!  

Bryan Litz also talks about ladder testing but only at long distance and only for pressure related barrel harmonic nodes,  not looking for the so called "velocity plateau"

Chasing unicorns 🦄

3 hours ago, VarmLR said:

😂

Indeed....might be worth trying different ones though?  Uniforming flash holes with the Lyman (other flavours available) if just to remove the odd burr may help ignition consistency, and uniforming pockets is pretty easy to do, and only needs doing once so I do those things.  

Lapua brass.

Primer pockets have been uniformed,I use the uniformer to clean the pockets,that brass used in the chrony test was 8 times fired and it's been annealed quite a few times,that was the second firing on the brass from last annealing.

19 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Lapua brass.

Primer pockets have been uniformed,I use the uniformer to clean the pockets,that brass used in the chrony test was 8 times fired and it's been annealed quite a few times,that was the second firing on the brass from last annealing.

You just need a sprinkling of magic fairy dust 👌😀

3 minutes ago, Bob57 said:

You just need a sprinkling of magic fairy dust 👌😀

But only if it's outrageously expensive and "Merican 😂

Vince has probaly forgotten more about shooting and reloading than most of us know so what more can I say....... 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♂️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♂️😁

It's seems to make for easier cleaning.

It's the throat erosion is the key factor, does it slow it down.....?

I would like to too see it work and be proved it's not snake oil...!

11 hours ago, Montey said:

No conclusion then just gone silly 

It's so difficult to say anything meaningful - other than repeating hearsay.  Some may be convinced that it does extend barrel-life - but under what usage?  It may not show up as much in slow fire conditions as with rapid fire.

Yes, it would be worth doing a proper test but it wouldn't be cheap.

We'd need two new identical barrels from the same manufacturer and about 5,000 rounds of ammo...........something like the 243Win would be good for a quick result.

I'd be happy to chamber the barrels.........

The cost of ammo will far exceed the cost of a barrel over its useable life, so the cost of your £700 barrel will pale in comparison to the £5000 worth of ammo you’ll splurge down it (£1 per round over 5000 rds) over its lifespan, but you can prolong the life of said barrel by chasing the throat.....which oddly enough is not something I have ever heard mentioned or read on this forum in all the years I’ve been on here

So, based on the numbers I mentioned above, each shot down your barrel is costing 14 pence in barrel life, and the life of that barrel is working out at £5700, but if your Boron stuff prolongs the life of your barrel by 100rds as quoted earlier, you have just saved yourself £14

How much is that Boron stuff???.......tell me it’s really worth it

how have we ended up with a discussion on boron on this thread?  OP was about the alleged velocity plateau testing

7 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

how have we ended up with a discussion on boron on this thread?  OP was about the alleged velocity plateau testing

Don't know, don't care, but it's all cobblers anyway

Between all this molten salt nonsense, Boron, velocity plateaus, OCD daftness and all the other silly stuff, how do you sleep at night? 🤣

1 hour ago, bradders said:

Don't know, don't care, but it's all cobblers anyway

Between all this molten salt nonsense, Boron, velocity plateaus, OCD daftness and all the other silly stuff, how do you sleep at night? 🤣

I sleep just fine - but thanks for asking. 😴  How are you sleeping?

It's very kind of you to share your considered assessment of a multitude of subjects; ever thought of publishing a manual?   😜

15 minutes ago, Popsbengo said:

I sleep just fine - but thanks for asking. 😴  How are you sleeping?

It's very kind of you to share your considered assessment of a multitude of subjects; ever thought of publishing a manual?   😜

Yes I have and maybe I will, I’m sure you’ll find it gripping

Not sleeping that great, but that’s just the way it is 😞

16 minutes ago, bradders said:

Yes I have and maybe I will, I’m sure you’ll find it gripping

Not sleeping that great, but that’s just the way it is 😞

I'll be your first customer ! 🤥🤫  Keep up the good banter, hope you feel better soon😊