To Neck turn .308 or not, is it worth the work

Bob D

30 minutes ago, Bob D said:

To Neck turn .308 or not, is it worth the work your views please

distances 300. 600. 900.1000yds

cheers Bob

I know some chambers are reamed deliberately tight so neck turning in that situation is essential.  However for "normal" chambering I still think it can be beneficial.  I have a Redding gauge to check neck thickness, I find that even Lapua brass has variation between cases and around the neck. I take the minimum off (about max 2thou) to make all cases equal in neck tension.  In my opinion it's only worth it if you do all of the other case prepping steps:  primer pocket, flash hole, neck length, neck tension, batching for volume (I just weigh the cases after prepping and put them into 25 off batches).  Having gone to all that trouble it's a given that primer, powder and bullets are given equal love and attention.

1 hour ago, Bob D said:

To Neck turn .308 or not, is it worth the work your views please

distances 300. 600. 900.1000yds

cheers Bob

No - no point with a srd chamber neck. Increasing the clearance will be counter productive. Use quality brass and don't over use it.

2 minutes ago, The Gun Pimp said:

No - no point with a srd chamber neck. Increasing the clearance will be counter productive. Use quality brass and don't over use it.

Agreed in general but I have seen some, admittedly small, improvement in SD by equalising neck dimensions by turning.  It's really difficult to separate out causes and effects with so many variables in play.  Lapua necks are thicker than some other brass so, while I can agree thinner necks stretch more in a given chamber, I don't go daft and only take enough to equalise differences.  I've not had any cracking but I do anneal regularly.

Hi Bob

You can try uniforming the neck, expand them and just skim off the high spots very carefully not to overdo it, I did it too all my 6.5x47 brass and It shoots single figure Es's on all I've loaded and tested.you could try different bushing to see what gives you the best Es's, my saum is about 2 thousanths max, my 284 is 3 thousanths as it's mag fed as is my 6.5x47, I keep the extra tension to stop them self adjusting in the mag on recoil.

I think 1 thousanths neck tension is a big ask and I've found out myself using a bushing die you can get bullets that you can spin out with your fingers. 

If you go for 1 thousanths then resize with a standard die then get a expander from spud that gives them 1 thousanths.Justin uses that technique 👍.

I find it harder getting single figure Es's in my tight necked 7mms, I can get 4 that are around 6fps then I get one that goes 5 or 6fps faster or slower but that only translates to 0.250 inch elevations at 1000yds, to be honest I think some are economical with the truth on there ES figures.

The temperature could make your ESs vary too.

If case prep is good then it's down to your primer or powder weighing.

Atb No I deer 😉

They may well resize more uniform Mark and sit in the chamber more symmetrical, it certainly wouldn't hurt to uniform the necks, Bob we shoot with some great shooters who have alot of experience in this stuff.

Mark gets great results so his info is very reliable.

23 hours ago, Brillo said:

Bob, if you’re running a mandrel through the neck after sizing, neck turning will have no benefit whatsoever.

Cheers Mark & Neil for all your help its what makes our club so great and friendly helpful people.

Thank you 

Bob

Archived