.22-250 with Sierra 69 HPBT testing again

Guest northernchris

Guest northernchris

Took the Steyr out last nite again to crono the 69 gr Sierra's.Well sh-t the bed i was doing 3520 fps with 41 gr of N160 with NO pressure signs at all!!!!! :o:P plus no sign of tumbling @ 300 yrds (the Steyr is only a 1-12)

Chris

Sounds an excellent target load or plinking load. I found sadly the Sierras don't expand to well, if you want a foxing round try the Berger 70gn VLD now they do expand :P

Cheers

Dave

Guest northernchris

Dave is the Berger VLD a longer profile than the Sierra??If so i would be supprised if the 1-12 would work???

Its not to bad I can load it to mag length in my AR15. Don't forget your driving them pretty hard out of a .22-250 so velocity aids stabalisation.

Dave Affleck from varmint safari fame shoots 75 A max out of his 1in12 .22-250 AI.

Cheers

Dave

Now then Chris, we got some new bullets in the other day, marketed by remington, flat based, and 62 grains [if i remember right, it was an odd weight] but packaged up as a match bullet, but with a hole in the end, like a berger MEF :P They are gonna be a goody for folk without expanding on their ticket, but they look the dogs for an awkward calibre like the 22-250 , though your twist is better than the average 1 in 14" most are stuck with. I,m gonna give them a whirl in my speedy, which is 1 in 8" They look to me , to be bergers under remmy,s name.

£14 a hundred plus post, whatever that is. I had a better look tonight, and they are indeed flat based, and 62 grains, but they also have a cannelure, now never having used bullets with a cannelure, i dont know if it would make any difference.They fit into a "grey" area though, weight wise , dont they, and merit a go on that fact alone i would say.

Baldie

just ignore the canulure and seat them as normal, they look odd with the canulure sticking above the case neck but it makes no difference to accuracy whatsoever. The cannulure is there to assist in bullet structure and to allow seating (crimping) in semi autos / automatic rifles where the bullet might get pushed into the case by recoil.

Archived