The Fix from Q

4 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

They are indeed now using Green Mountain barrels following alleged issues with Tooley and Bartlein. 

I am not going to comment on the reasons for the change. 

Why not?

Spill the beans

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, it looks lovely. The only thing I noticed from some of the YouTube vids were people were doing a lot of head lifting when cycling the bolt. One bloke didn’t which suggest bad technique from the rest but a fast bolt should be one of its best features, how do you find it in prone and sitting for bolt operation?

Cavet I never really got the best out of my Blaser  lrs2 or RPA  for that matter as initial bolt lift - especially with the 45 degree bolt lift on the RPA was hard. Smooth beats short in this respect.

A chassis that takes Pmags is definitely interesting

I'm not so sure about the use of cast aluminium receivers moving forward, several AR manufacturers over the years have used cast lowers and they haven’t been great, in SGC here in Blighty used to use cast lowers, and I know of at least 3 of them breaking at the buffer tube juncture

Castings strength is in compression, not shear, and if one was to be dropped on the stock with it extended, it might end in expensive tears

Also the use of 6 series instead of 7 for the receiver surprised me, 6061 is fine for handguards, but everyone uses 7075T6 for receivers

I'm sure they’ve done their research  though 

Good luck with it, I think it’s great

Looks good. Cant wait to see it.

you have to think that the relationship between Q (a bit james bond😂) and Tooley was destined to fail/end. Why would they need him after the initial press release, a CNC machine is a lot cheaper to feed...

arent those green mountain barrells ar15 off the shelf tat? Strange choice $$$$$$$

• 3 weeks later...

Load development went well sub half MOA. Couldn’t be happier. 

Off hand, kneeling and resting on trees fallow fall over very well. 

I have changed the grip to an Ergo. The Magpul felt rather cheap at first. But surprisingly I’m considering going back due to the simplicity. 

Sorry Bradders I do like a bipod and have just taken delivery today of the new Tier One evolution bipod. The centre of gravity is low and makes the rifle feel stable. will be good for the longer shots. 

15E86672-0656-4A64-87D7-6BDBFBE48706.jpeg

Scotch, any chance of some quick video clips of you shooting  it from standing, kneeling, sitting and prone please. It would be an excellent demo of any advantage the action has over a standard bolt. There may be something online but it needs a very accomplished shooter such as yourself to see any potential benefits on video.

Re bipods.....try a few, I went from a very rigid bipod to the AI factory bipod on the AIAXMC as I found it gave much less vibration after the shot. What is best for you and your system can obviously be different than what works for me.

2 hours ago, ds1 said:

Scotch, any chance of some quick video clips of you shooting  it from standing, kneeling, sitting and prone please. It would be an excellent demo of any advantage the action has over a standard bolt. There may be something online but it needs a very accomplished shooter such as yourself to see any potential benefits on video.

Re bipods.....try a few, I went from a very rigid bipod to the AI factory bipod on the AIAXMC as I found it gave much less vibration after the shot. What is best for you and your system can obviously be different than what works for me.

Mmm I’m not very photogenic Pal. 

Will pm to discuss. 

6 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

Mmm I’m not very photogenic Pal. 

Will pm to discuss. 

Take some pics of yourself dropping kernels of powder into your neck turned and batched cases with a pair of tweezers, that should give the anal reloaders (not shooters) a bit of a chubby, then you can take a pic of you filing the bullet tips and pointing them up....that should drive them into a frenzy of self fladulation

Or you could just not worry about others and go and shoot the thing for your own enjoyment

A radical idea I know, but have at it

• 4 weeks later...

Rifle looks good , a bit like a better Blaser R84 , the 3 lug bolt version before the R93  .

Good to see you like the ODL can & brake ,  Bert 's designs have come a long way , from short & fat Reflex designs ( sized like a Coke can )  to the current offerings . Spoke to Bert a few days ago , and I think you will see more of his designs in the UK soon ,  looks like the company has won 2 major contracts & also maybe partnering with a big player soon .

Funny , how no one is interested in a new companies stuff , until they win contracts or supply a major player , and I understand that , but more people should be able to see a good design on its own merits , and not just because it won a big contract .

I have the same can as yours , but in TI , spoke to Bert RE , TI or SS  Inconel , and he says its just weight & hi temp difference , and as the cost is the same for them , the SS is really optioned for high use semi's , and he feels the TI is the choice for bolt guns , and he is right to a point . What he does not allow for is the SS due to a bit heavy in weight could suit & dampen a precision rifle more that a crazy lite TI can .

Also , a new QD brake & can is due to be released soon for 338LM .

Cheers  Chris

Chris I don’t think it has anything to do with contracts. Oceania U.K. just don’t seem interested in selling the odd can to a civilian. Also if saw the state of the finish mine turned up like civilians would be put right off. It looks like it had been left in a tool box in the back of a pickup for 10 years. 

Any chance you could give Bert a nudge for me to check his emails. 

Self fladulation??........never seen it spelt like that before..............😂😂😂

Pete

Yeah ,

No worries I will be ringing him again in a week or so , will do it then , I now what you mean re the finish , but its a matter of the finesse of the 3D printer , ie grainy looking structure , so it seems that the bottle neck in the UK is the importer , rather than the price ?

I am lucky to have seen inside a sectioned ODL can , and its like nothing I have ever seen in a can before , its like the illustrator of Dr Seues books & a NASA JPL geek designed it , unfortunitly I was not allowed to take a photo of it .

So the new brakes are machined now , where the older ones where 3D printed , the heat shield is metal and spaced about 1mm off the can body , due to the LH thread on the AI brakes it was me that asked Bert to put a direction arrow on it , as LH threads are a bit un common, and I said you only need 1 arrow , if the shooter cannot figure out the opposite direction is opposite he has no business using a rifle at all .

Its real good to see Bert & ODL finally get rewards for their long hard work , they deserve it big  time .

Of the 2 contracts , 1 has shipped already , the other soonish , also look out for the new 338LM QD can/brake its been made for some one in Europe , cant say how yet , but just keep an eye out for it

Later  Chris

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

One thing the Yanks liked was the grainy finish , a bit of grip , and they believed paint would stick to it better ?

I don’t mind the grainy finish when it is intact. It’s where it has clearly been banging around on other metal and gone shiny. That’s how it arrived. It doesn’t bother me but like I say it’s not great for retail customers. 

Archived