Stock help required pls!

Oly

I recently bought this mcmillan stock from another forum member, but the action bolts seem to be a touch too wide for my action. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006812247/h-s-precision-pro-series-rifle-stock-savage-short-action-with-44-screw-spacing-detachable-magazine-center-feed-only-tactical-varmint-barrel-channel-synthetic-black

The Acton came off a Savage Model 12 LRP and I'm fitting it to a Model 12 BVSS. With the rear action bolt fitted the front action bolt hole is about 3mm (half the bolt bolt width) too far forward for my actions mounting points. Is there anything that can be done? 

sketch-1549558345409.png

sketch-1549558380069.png

Does the bottom metal fit the action ?

Thrre don’t appear to be any pillars or bedding in your stock 

I’m not that familiar with savage rifles other than working on a couple

if the bottoms metal fits the stock and holes not aligned and action fits the inlet then simple solution would be to open up the holes to the correct centres - fit pillars and bed the action 

Yes everything else fits perfectly. I had thought about opening up the offending hole, but there's probably not enough room/material in that one alone but it could work if shared between the two. 

Without looking at the stock bottom metal and action in the flesh it’s hard to advise what to do but if the bottom metal fits I would consider opening up the hole that is out of alignment with that 

Which from the inages looks to be the forward hole (action barrel interface end 

Some aftermarket stocks have quite thin walled inlets (Tikka 595 inletted for example) so it’s not an undue worry 

15 hours ago, Ronin said:

Does the bottom metal fit the action ?

Thrre don’t appear to be any pillars or bedding in your stock 

I’m not that familiar with savage rifles other than working on a couple

if the bottoms metal fits the stock and holes not aligned and action fits the inlet then simple solution would be to open up the holes to the correct centres - fit pillars and bed the action 

The H-S precision stock is CAD /CAM machined, Aluminium bedding block chassis. The shell is woven kevlar & woven fibreglass + carbon fibre. No need for bedding compound. A Savage rifle with the correct action screw spacing / centre feed will drop straight into it, as per other chassis systems (MDT for example). 

The problem is that the action screw spacing on this item is 4.40 inches and I think Oly's rifle has the 4.27 inch action screw spacing. The difference of 0.13 inch equates to 3.28 mm.

I've found that Savage mod 12 single-shot actions can have different hole centres to the other mod 12 variations.

It's well nigh impossible to get a ready inletted stock with the correct centres for the single shot version, as Savage apparently changed them at some time during production.

Pete

2 hours ago, Re-Pete said:

I've found that Savage mod 12 single-shot actions can have different hole centres to the other mod 12 variations.

It's well nigh impossible to get a ready inletted stock with the correct centres for the single shot version, as Savage apparently changed them at some time during production.

Pete

The original BVSS stock has a 4 shot internal box magazine, and the replacement stock a 4 shot detachable magazine.

Archived