Molten Salt Annealing Rig

Popsbengo

1 hour ago, Lukas_K said:

As a quick, comparative update; I moved from salt bath to induction earlier this year.

I used salt bath for good 2 years for several calibers from 6Br up to 338improved, in total close to 6000 reloads/shots fired. Had convincing results with salt-bath, both from target results and ES/SD measured at different times of season with more and more loadings on the cases. If my salt-bath annealed cases failed, it was by loosening primer pockets, never a neck split. I salt-bath-annealed brass for ackley fireforming as well and lost none in the processing of 200+ 338LM cases.

The recordkeeping gives a base of comparison for the induction results now and all I can say is - they are the same. While the only process changed in the reloading cycle was the switch from salt batch to induction (at the same point of the reloading cycle), both the target results of proven loads and measured velocities remain the same. For me, that additionally confirms that the salt works just fine. 

The advantage of the induction is mostly time saving, as there is no prep/cleanup, you can switch between calibers/case sizes immediately and the time per case is cut approximately in half as well.

Thanks for validating. 👍

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve just read this thread through for the first time and I am hugely impressed by the ingenuity on display. I don’t want to teach granny to suck eggs, but as someone with an explosives engineering background, I just wanted to make a few points about safety.

You read ‘salts’, but I read ‘molten oxidising agents’. It’s really very important that everything is kept meticulously clean. You should really try to avoid any form of carbon, oils or wax on the cases or apparatus. Absolutely nothing made from Aluminium near the mix and for God’s sake, keep any ammonia based cleaning solvents well away! 

There! I feel much better now. I hope that this is helpful.

1 hour ago, Shuggy said:

I’ve just read this thread through for the first time and I am hugely impressed by the ingenuity on display. I don’t want to teach granny to suck eggs, but as someone with an explosives engineering background, I just wanted to make a few points about safety.

You read ‘salts’, but I read ‘molten oxidising agents’. It’s really very important that everything is kept meticulously clean. You should really try to avoid any form of carbon, oils or wax on the cases or apparatus. Absolutely nothing made from Aluminium near the mix and for God’s sake, keep any ammonia based cleaning solvents well away! 

There! I feel much better now. I hope that this is helpful.

Yes, helpful.  I'm well aware of the hazards and have tried to advise accordingly, it's good to re-enforce the message.

I only process cleaned brass.