First Custom Build

TJC

Nice rifle, all top class components you often see tip the top of the 'What the pros use' PRS chart.

Always liked the look and features of the MPA chassis. I also like the company ethos too, offering legacy users the option to send in their older chassis and upgrade to the new configuration. Very nice.

If I wasn't a 2-stage guy, the TT diamond would definitely be my choice. By all reports, it's a very reliable unit.

Love the Defiance actions - great choice. I have their XL Mutant Tube Gun action. Had it DLC'd here in the UK and it's simply lush! Did you ever consider the Impact Precision actions with their QD switch barrel clamp and prechambered barrels?

And is that an Area419 3-Port Hellfire self timing brake? I have a couple of the 4-Port Swidewinder brakes and they are brilliant. The quality of the Area419 stuff is simply outstanding.

How about the barrel? A lot of people were using the Proof stainless steel (non carbon wrapped) barrels in 2018.

Very nice build. You competing in the PRS scene? 

9 minutes ago, GT3_richy said:

How did you go about importing chap?

Easy to import.

Just arrange exporter US side, get rifle/calibre on your FAC, pay $250 and fill out US Federal export license (5min job), wait a few months for license, wait for gun to be shipped, collect gun UK side by showing FAC to HMRC. 

Easy peasy, trigger squeezy.

1 hour ago, Catch-22 said:

Nice rifle, all top class components you often see tip the top of the 'What the pros use' PRS chart.

Always liked the look and features of the MPA chassis. I also like the company ethos too, offering legacy users the option to send in their older chassis and upgrade to the new configuration. Very nice.

If I wasn't a 2-stage guy, the TT diamond would definitely be my choice. By all reports, it's a very reliable unit.

Love the Defiance actions - great choice. I have their XL Mutant Tube Gun action. Had it DLC'd here in the UK and it's simply lush! Did you ever consider the Impact Precision actions with their QD switch barrel clamp and prechambered barrels?

And is that an Area419 3-Port Hellfire self timing brake? I have a couple of the 4-Port Swidewinder brakes and they are brilliant. The quality of the Area419 stuff is simply outstanding.

How about the barrel? A lot of people were using the Proof stainless steel (non carbon wrapped) barrels in 2018.

Very nice build. You competing in the PRS scene? 

Wait time on the MPA was pretty long. They redesigned the folding mechanism so I waited for the revamped version and it took longer than expected.

TriggerTech will soon release a two-stage Diamond. I’ve only ever used a two-stage trigger so this is a new experience for me. It seems a decent trigger. I’ve got it set at 1lb and dropped the rifle a couple of times from 8-10” and it didn’t go off. Test will be when it gets seriously dirty. Not sure I’m brave enough to run it down in the 4-10oz range but I love the flat trigger.

I did look at the Impact but I’ve got a switch barrel rifle already and it’s more a pain than a pleasure. Keeping it simple this time and the prechambered barrels I’ve tried haven’t blown me away. I’d rather pay a bit more for custom tbh.

Yes it’s an Area 419 Self Timing brake. 

Proof is popular but a lot were won on prize tables. Curious how popular they would be if the top shooters had to buy them ? I went Bartlein heavy varmint, 26” 1:7

I wouldn’t say I compete but I go to the US a few times a year to shoot PRS / regional matches with friends. Heading over in April and May so should make a few matches. 

Sounds fab. Didn't know TT were realising a 2-stage. I've got a Huber Concepts 2-stage ball bearing which is really very nice. May need to try the 2-stage TT when it comes out.

Interesting point about the proof barrels. I too have a handful of Bartlein's on my .338NM/6.5x47 switch barrel and simply can't fault them.

Id be surprised if the Impact Precision barrels weren't top draw, considering their background and manufacturing skills. Savage, criterion or shilen Barrels they are not, the Impact barrels are reportedly very fine indeed.

Well good luck with the PRS shooting!

8 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Sounds fab. Didn't know TT were realising a 2-stage. I've got a Huber Concepts 2-stage ball bearing which is really very nice. May need to try the 2-stage TT when it comes out.

Interesting point about the proof barrels. I too have a handful of Bartlein's on my .338NM/6.5x47 switch barrel and simply can't fault them.

Id be surprised if the Impact Precision barrels weren't top draw, considering their background and manufacturing skills. Savage, criterion or shilen Barrels they are not, the Impact barrels are reportedly very fine indeed.

Well good luck with the PRS shooting!

I’ve heard good things about Impact actions but I’ve not been behind one. There are so many good actions these days, lots of amazing choices that the difference between them can be quite small and quite personal. I’m sure I’d be happy with any of them. 

9 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Easy to import.

Just arrange exporter US side, get rifle/calibre on your FAC, pay $250 and fill out US Federal export license (5min job), wait a few months for license, wait for gun to be shipped, collect gun UK side by showing FAC to HMRC. 

Easy peasy, trigger squeezy.

Good man. Thanks for pointing out how to do it. Next time we have one of the "UK industry price gouging" type threads we can point them here and they can get on with it.

Presumably you had to pay VAT and some import fees as well?

Superb looking PRS rig - hope to see it in the flesh soon 

14 hours ago, Chanonry said:

Good man. Thanks for pointing out how to do it. Next time we have one of the "UK industry price gouging" type threads we can point them here and they can get on with it.

Yep, VAT & Duty like any other item shipped in from abroad.

I would say the only slight complication is release of items UK side. 

If you're an individual bringing in items only for yourself (so not a commercial operation) then as long as your FAC lists all FIREARMS specific items (as classified under UK law) then you can simply collect the parts from HMRC at Heathrow or Gatwick. They will check that what you've brought in matches what's listed on your FAC and sign over the items to you. 

If however you choose to use a 'import' company, the items essentially go onto their open certificate and once obtained, sign over to you or in most cases to a designated RFD who will sign the items over to you. 

The 1st route is simple enough but does involve you driving to collect them. It does also however rest entirely on you having the said items clearly and unequivocally specified on your FAC, otherwise HMRC will make it a nightmare for you.

the 2nd route is easier in one respect in that you let them deal with HMRC, collections and all that jazz. But it will take longer, costs and involves more coordination and other 3rd parties (RFD).

Exporting the goods from the US is actually very, very easy. Find a solid exporter who knows what they're doing, be very clear about what items you want (products details, product codes and most crucially URLs to the exact product) and also be super dooper upfront about when the items arrive UK side that you'll be collecting them or using an 'importer'. Provide all details as necessary. 

For me, I made it very clear to both the exporter AND the the GOVs Department for International Trade (Import Licensing Branch) all my intended plans, what I was going to do UK side, provided a copy of my FAC with items specified and ensured the US Federal export license, the exporters notes and my FAC listed all items in exactly the same way (same spelling, specifications etc) to ensure there could be no misunderstanding or misinterpretation of the goods being brought in.

I must say, the people at Department for International Trade (Import Licensing Department) were EXTREMELY helpful. They clarified everything to me, what I needed to do to import and clear HMRC. I was genuinely surprised at how helpful they were! In short, as a private individual you need no UK import license (they don't even have one to issue for individuals) which completely debunked all the bull$hit the idiots at BASC spewed out. When I originally approached the senior firearms chap at BASC for help, he told me I was wasting my time, it couldn't be done, don't bother, not possible etc. One email later to Department for International Trade gave me an emphatic YES I could and all the necessary steps to do so. I later spoke to the same person at BASC and squared him away. He simply drivelled something out the side of his mouth and promptly tried to get me off the phone asap. Clearly wasn't interested to know that his knowledge and information was a total load of crap.

To finish, I would say it was very easy to bring in what you want. It isn't cheap and due to a lot of stuff being ITAR restricted (which is fine as long as it's on your export license) just put a shed load of other items on your export that you cannot get over here to make it worth while in the long run. For example, I brought a crate load of Bartlein barrel blanks that were either on offer or profiled to my own custom dimensions. Overall, after fees, taxes etc I would say it's probably not a huge amount cheaper than just getting everything through the smith over here. BUT I would say it gives you full control over every specific component you want. I didn't want to compromise in any area and knew exactly what I wanted, down to the custom barrel contours, muzzle breaks you simply can't get here, Huber Concepts trigger - again not available here etc. I didn't want to have to wait for a smith to order something for me or be told they can't get it, so to go for something else. This was my one time, lifetime rifle, so I enjoyed every aspect of thinking through all the detail and getting it right to exactly how I wanted it.

Good luck (sorry to hijack the thread a bit!)

1 hour ago, Chanonry said:

Yes you pay VAT like you do here and import / agent fees can be negotiated quite low if you shop around. Keep in mind some of these larger US smiths buy a lot of volume / can get good prices. 

1 hour ago, lee w 118 said:

Very informative catch 22 👍

One question with regard to the First Route if I may. If you import a rifle and collect it as you say, how do you fall foul of the Proof rules ? 

Archived