Paint for steel gongs

My son has just bought a plasma cutter,and I was thinking of buying some hardox 400/ 500?? To make some targets. Anyone know what's best for up to 22-250 and the best place to buy it from??

+1 white - cheap easy dry quick . Darker colours don't show as well  

I dont paint mine that i leave around the farm, less easy for the thieves to spot. I can still see and hit them and fresh strikes show up pretty well. I dont pay £2000 plus for scopes and expect to have to paint something to see it.

White line marker spray is the cheapest option and also 750ml cans help longevity.  Drys in seconds and doesn't go on thick (i.e. bullet fragments won't chip it in other places on the plate).  Also paint the stand/chains/belt/strap etc. that hold the gong with a different colour and you can then easily I.D. different gongs in the same target area. 

1 hour ago, Tiff said:

White line marker spray is the cheapest option and also 750ml cans help longevity.  Drys in seconds and doesn't go on thick (i.e. bullet fragments won't chip it in other places on the plate).  Also paint the stand/chains/belt/strap etc. that hold the gong with a different colour and you can then easily I.D. different gongs in the same target area. 

Never thought of that ,I'll have to try it,cheaper than hammerite.👍

Plus one for the liner paint works very well

ive just had a mate weld to gongs together as I've put holes through them that way I've over lapped the holes haven't had try them yet

Thanks for the replies lads.   I got a tin of cheap white paint in the auto shop today.

It covered well and dried quickly so  I will try it out at the weekend.

I will also get some line marker spray and  primer spray to try as well. 

Archived