Hello,

I don’t believe the range is available for club use. As you may know, operation of the range requires the SW Coast Path diversion to be used (diverts walkers inland around the site perimeter), the closure of Fleet Water (which otherwise entertains fishing) and the closure of a section of Chesil Beach as well as the monitoring of the maritime element of the range danger area. All in all I believe the MoD consider it too impactive to support club use.

Happy to be advised otherwise if there is a club shooting there.

Adrian

Used to be used by clubs, but the safety requirements have been upped a bit since I used it. Sentries have to be ferried over to the beach and also posted at both ends of the footpath, so that's at least 2 people that can't shoot at all, and 2 more that might have to take time out to stop walkers. Although there are firing points back to 800 yards, I've never seen them used beyond 300 yards.

• 3 years later...

I asked the gate sentries - a few years ago now - if it would be possible for me to use my semi-auto CO2 pistols (Mauser Broomhandle and Walther P-38) down there, and was told the land was actually administered by someone up in County Hall, Dorchester.  In addition, I now have a beautiful BSA .22 Stutzen Luftgewehr, which I would also like to be able to shoot somewhere, before I die (am now 80 !!)