Where is everybody?

Bradders comment about Plinky Plonkers heaving on short Siberia had me wondering why this is........................what's the appeal of shooting such a short distance with hardware that's capable of so much more? Lack of confidence? Surely they're not all load testing.

One of our early projects was to see how far and how well we could make a 223 go................1000yds with 80 grain SMK at MV of 3100fps made around 2 MOA once on a flat calm day, but as we know, ain't no such thing as a totally flat calm day on Stickledown.

Pete

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Fighting amongst ourselves???"    Blimey, I just asked a simple question in order to try and understand why a world class range was empty on a perfect shooting morning.

Apologies if I've offended anyone..............

Pete

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

Why don't we all start fighting amongst ourselves? After all it isn't as if anybody else is out to get us! Let people do what they enjoy. I mean if you are a stalker the plan is to get reasonably close anyway. As long as people are safe, have fun I say.

David.

Well said David.

All this holier than thou bullshit gets tiresome.

Each to their own ! Growing up in Ireland I thought I had experienced sectarianism..........then I became a shooter in the UK and realised I had seen nothing yet !

90% of my shooting is competitive, be it CSR or the NRA run matches a few times per year. The rest is vermin and deer stalking.  I dont particularly enjoy "plinking" but would not dream of looking down on those who enjoy it. Or claiming that my way of enjoying my hobby is superior / is "Gods way"  :-/

Crack on and enjoy your shooting - be it unsupported or off a bipod, 100 yards or 1000 yards, F-class or CSR, airsoft or airgun, camo or leather etc etc etc

And if you have nothing good to say about your fellow shooters choice of shooting, how about saying nothing at all !!

Pete, no offence taken here. If/when I have more time I intend to spend more time shooting but probably not at Bisley simply because I can shoot locally or when I choose to travel its for a different type of shooting than that offered at Bisley. Your interest in experimenting is similar to mine and I find it very enjoyable, not pushed a 223 to longer ranges though.

Breacher sums it all up very well.

1 hour ago, gazzarM1 said:

Nothin wrong with the North Mark.....we now have a 2mile range within a 2.5 hour drive from us on top of the other places locally Diggle etc..

shush, let them think we haven't anything up North. As regards Bradders saying we have a chip, well I'm well balanced - a chip on both shoulders 🤣

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

Why don't we all start fighting amongst ourselves? After all it isn't as if anybody else is out to get us! Let people do what they enjoy. I mean if you are a stalker the plan is to get reasonably close anyway. As long as people are safe, have fun I say.

David.

until I saw this post I really thought I had stumbled on a bit of banter between mates, if I'm wrong then  this is a post I have to agree 100%.  so many shooting folk willing to throw other disciplines "under the bus",  maybe brexit got everyone fired up for a bit of "dick swinging":lol:

1 hour ago, Breacher said:

Well said David.

Each to their own ! Growing up in Ireland I thought I had experienced sectarianism..........then I became a shooter in the UK and realised I had seen nothing yet !

90% of my shooting is competitive, be it CSR or the NRA run matches a few times per year. The rest is vermin and deer stalking.  I dont particularly enjoy "plinking" but would not dream of looking down on those who enjoy it. Or claiming that my way of enjoying my hobby is superior / is "Gods way"  :-/

Crack on and enjoy your shooting - be it unsupported or off a bipod, 100 yards or 1000 yards, F-class or CSR, airsoft or airgun, camo or leather etc etc etc

And if you have nothing good to say about your fellow shooters choice of shooting, how about saying nothing at all !!

+1  

Jeez H christ, how touchy can you lot get???   I never dreamt that my post would give rise to so much hypertension.................I thought shooters were made of sterner stuff.

Pete

1 hour ago, Breacher said:

Well said David.

+1

19 minutes ago, Re-Pete said:

Jeez H christ, how touchy can you lot get???   I never dreamt that my post would give rise to so much hypertension.................I thought shooters were made of sterner stuff.

Pete

Not your post in particular - there is a drip drip drip of sectarianism in our sport !

No hypertension here. Rather the opposite - I am off to Shot Show in Las Vegas tomorrow.

I shall spend a day on the range and 5 days walking the booths. No doubt, I will come across vendors with things that dont float my boat. And I will just walk by. I wont feel the need to blunder in and tell them they are doing it wrong ! 

It would be refreshing to see certain negative individuals do the same, online.

He’s having a go at me because I’m not permitted to say things in jest and he genuinely doesn’t like me, but not to worry my illness will get the better of me sooner rather than later and then he can rest easy that I’m not around

3 minutes ago, bradders said:

He’s having a go at me because I’m not permitted to say things in jest and he genuinely doesn’t like me, but not to worry my illness will get the better of me sooner rather than later and then he can rest easy that I’m not around

Email and message posts: Banter gets taken out of context so easily. Perhaps better to not try and be funny as there's always someone getting peed off in the end. In the context of communication it's what's received that matters, not what's intended. IMO let everyone enjoy their sport how they wish, without ranking our personal preferences higher than others.

1 hour ago, bradders said:

It certainly does on here, I’ve never known a forum quite like it 🙄

Hi All.    I recently had an experience like this on Arsebook.    A guy from up here puts old photos on and they are very interesting of locations, people etc in the North East.    A few days ago he put a photo of school children taken in the early 1900s.    They looked improverished and not exactly very healthy.    My brand of humour simply couldn't resist and I commented 'Rickets R us'.      It only took a few hours when some lady treehugger/PC type commented L.Prior...not funny.    I did reply directly to the person to say calm down and do not take things so seriously.      I went on to say that I have a school photo of my class taken in 1958 and that a few of the boys looked as though they actually had Rickets.    So it is very easy to take things the wrong way and then the sh** hits the fan and before you know it the Teddy bears are being flung and the backbiting begins.     No doubt it will happen again on here and other websites.   6BR Accurate Shooter website has its fair share of this and the Yanks do have a serious go at each other until someone gets banned.    It is very boring so come on chaps,  we are British and made of sterner stuff.     Let's not hurt each other,  unless you like that kind of crap lol.       Be happy and enjoy your type of shooting.      PS.    I LOVE BENCHREST AND F CLASS.   COMMENTS AWAITED WITH INTEREST!!!!  TTFN.

Edited by That bald headed Geordie
Addition of sentence

Well I am sorry if I caused offence by being thin skinned but often the only way people know you are jesting is to use emojis. There is no tone or smile on the web. Also Bradders to be fair you had just been rude about someone because he hadn't said thankyou. Maybe he should have, maybe he just forgot but you certainly didn't give out the feeling that you joked a lot and then the post about people shooting at short ranges sounded fairly abrasive to me.

David.

Mark,

Think it is the consistency of your banter that perhaps is the the thing that  hits the occasional nerve. It appears that if its not CSW then it is not shooting?

In the past the issue with the NRA that if it was not at Bisley and canvas clad coffin dodgers shooting TR (calm down this is a caricature !!) then it was of no importance, this was fixed a while back with 'the regions' now being taken into account 

Bisley does appear to be underused but some of us luckily have local ranges and clubs that sort a whole slew of very different competitions throughout the year, both indoor short to outdoor long that's in addition to going to Bisley (mid and long range) plus the odd over-nighter down to Orion. 

So long as someone is enjoying themselves safely I don't give two toots on a rag mans horn what they shoot or how. But concur I wish a few more shooters should 'compete' even at their local club , a lot of effort goes into arranging comps.

Terry

ps sorting out a 300MN to go and do some long range but accurate 'plinky-plonking' because I want to :)

Kalahari,

Don't sweat it, Mark (aka 'Bradders') has all the subtlety of a throw brick on the keyboard but good in real life and builds rather good AR based rifles.

T

2 hours ago, Kalahari said:

Well I am sorry if I caused offence by being thin skinned but often the only way people know you are jesting is to use emojis. There is no tone or smile on the web. Also Bradders to be fair you had just been rude about someone because he hadn't said thankyou. Maybe he should have, maybe he just forgot but you certainly didn't give out the feeling that you joked a lot and then the post about people shooting at short ranges sounded fairly abrasive to me.

David.

Is it rudder to not say thank you than point it out? Is rudder even a word? What about ruder

Bloke asks a question, another bloke helps him out, first bloke looks at the answer and then just goes away without even a Ta or Cheers, yet a few days later revisits the same thread

My mum taught me to say thank you, and I'm nothing special....well actually I am 🤣

That was on an entirely unrelated thread to this one though, so has no relevance, Kalahari Secombe

Take it from me, life is too short to be as serious as you lot, and Terry, CSR is the best thing ever

We constantly strive to promote it and get new blood in, other disciplines don't do likewise

For all you think of me, I seem to do very well at getting people to come along and take part, shame the other guy has never even introduced one single person to it

How do you get into Benchrest? (psst, top secret, wink) how do you get into F Class? (whisper whisper, there's a forum somewhere) how do you get into PSR? (psst, you have to know the right people, and then meet up at a secret place....and don't tell anyone where it is, we'll take your pic but might pixilate it) How do you get into CSR, well you come along, we'll even lend you a rifle and ammo, and if you don't come along and have a great day with loads of other like-minded people at the World Famous® shooting complex where world champions are made, then there's something wrong with you

I will continue to harangue, cajole and encourage people to come along in my own way, but know this....more people have taken part AFTER buying a rifle from me than before, so I really must be a terrible person 😉

Re-Pete, next time you go into Bisley, make sure you shut the gate behind you, we don't need oiks on our hallowed turf 🙂

You'll miss me when I'm gone

My ma and pa brought me up to say please and thank you too, I can't stand people that are rude and have no manners, but unfortunately there's not many like you bradders that speak their mind and tell the offenders, so keep it up, I like your sense of humour!!when this thread started kicking off It made me smile, as i thought you were having a laugh!! Anyway you won't get me going to bisley, did it 30 odd years ago and the drive was a pig then😀.

Hopefully you'll be doing the drive for many more years to come.

'scuse me, new bloke poking his nose in.

93% of communication is non-verbal. Yup you read that correctly, only 7% is verbal with 38% coming from voice tone and 55% body language. Emails, texts and internet forums are therefore a minefield sown with opportunities for misunderstanding, miscommunication, misconstrual and perceived offence.

Just my two penn'orth.

1 hour ago, Paul Cat said:

'scuse me, new bloke poking his nose in.

93% of communication is non-verbal. Yup you read that correctly, only 7% is verbal with 38% coming from voice tone and 55% body language. Emails, texts and internet forums are therefore a minefield sown with opportunities for misunderstanding, miscommunication, misconstrual and perceived offence.

Just my two penn'orth.

Well thanks for that. I always wondered if it was 93%, I had thought it to be 92% but I stand corrected.

Look, this is just a load of hog-wash. Albert Mehrabian has been debunked many times.  Please don't insult my intelligence with hackneyed management speak from 'Supervisors 101' module for middle managers