Why .223 Wylde ?

Moorlander

It suits heavier bullets better, due to the longer leade, especially the 77SMK and TMK's. Chamber pressure for .223 Rem is 55,000 Psi [SAAMI}   chamber pressure for 5.56 is 62, 366 psi 

If people wish to overload a 223 chamber with its short throat, by putting a 5.56 cartridge through it, that's up to them. Knowingly overloading a gun by over 7000 psi is not something to be recommended is it ?

The wylde chamber is essentially a .223 chamber, but with a longer leade to accommodate 62 grain upwards bullets, without jamming them into the lands.

6 hours ago, baldie said:

It suits heavier bullets better, due to the longer leade, especially the 77SMK and TMK's. Chamber pressure for .223 Rem is 55,000 Psi [SAAMI}   chamber pressure for 5.56 is 62, 366 psi 

If people wish to overload a 223 chamber with its short throat, by putting a 5.56 cartridge through it, that's up to them. Knowingly overloading a gun by over 7000 psi is not something to be recommended is it ?

The wylde chamber is essentially a .223 chamber, but with a longer leade to accommodate 62 grain upwards bullets, without jamming them into the lands.

I'm no expert and don't pretend to be but it's my understanding from what I've been told that the US military and SAAMI don't measure pressure in the same way so comparing SAAMI specs for .223 and US military specs for 5.56 isn't a fair comparison.

Also, don't .223 rifles get proofed to a pressure way higher than you could produce by using 5.56 ammo?

Also, aren't most modern .223 rifles made to accept bullets up to 90 grains (dependent on twist rate of barrel)?

Also don't most hand loaders increase powder charges until and often slightly beyond signs of over pressure which must exceed the specs? Surely standard milsurp is nowhere near these hot "the primer is only slightly flat, it's fine" hand loads?

I'm happy to be proved wrong but I do ask that it's done with evidence not belief.

5 hours ago, MrCetirizine said:

I'm no expert and don't pretend to be but it's my understanding from what I've been told that the US military and SAAMI don't measure pressure in the same way so comparing SAAMI specs for .223 and US military specs for 5.56 isn't a fair comparison.

Also, don't .223 rifles get proofed to a pressure way higher than you could produce by using 5.56 ammo?

Also, aren't most modern .223 rifles made to accept bullets up to 90 grains (dependent on twist rate of barrel)?

Also don't most hand loaders increase powder charges until and often slightly beyond signs of over pressure which must exceed the specs? Surely standard milsurp is nowhere near these hot "the primer is only slightly flat, it's fine" hand loads?

I'm happy to be proved wrong but I do ask that it's done with evidence not belief.

It is true there's a totally different way of testing the pressures, and no way of cross comparison.

All rifles in the UK, be they .223 or 5.56 get proofed to CiP pressures

5.56 is a CiP cartridge and if you submit a .223 then guess what proof ammo is going in it?

Now.....I have posted this before and I will post it again because it doesn't seem to sink in, so here goes

In 1994, Bill Wylde was going to Canada to shoot a 5.56 Palma match. He decided to have a reamer ground to hopefully gain a bit more accuracy as they would be shooting issued ammo

Therefore he took a 5.56 reamer and reduced the throat diameter from .2242" to .2240". This had the added benefit by chance of working out to be the correct OAL for a 80 SMK, ie 2.465"

There was no science to it and .223 Wylde is a modified 5.56 chamber, with the generous body dimensions of a 5.56 for reliability, but with a .223 diameter throat

A 80 SMK in a 5.56 (Colt) chamber would have an OAL of 2.550"

The AMU Chamber is 2.500"

The 5.56 CLE is 2.450"

The .223 Wylde is 2.465"

The Accuracy Speaks is 2.440"

The .223 Rem is about 2.420"

They all work and work well, the main thing is they are finished properly or even the most generous of chambers will cause issues

The 5.56 in a .223 MYTH stems from when Ruger started making .223 rifles and made them with an extremely short throat....THEY HAVEN'T MADE RIFLES WITH THAT CHAMBER IN AT LEAST 30 YEARS

With regard to "Milsurp" ammo there is none, it's all been used up

New manufacture GGG is not Milsurp, it is new manufacture, it is CiP spec and goes through .223 rifles just fine

5.56 Target is another alternative chamber, as is PTG's .223 Target and a whole host of others, so this fixation on .223 Wylde is just convenient, it just happens to be the one that caught on

John Holliger has his own chamber too and the one I use is a Hybrid based mostly, but not exclusively on the Wylde

Why Wylde? To make my life simple

All mine are chambered with this and Proofed and stamped .223 Rem, not .223 Wylde Non Standard

The Schmeisser ad states .223/5.56, make of that what you will, My rifles shoot just fine and do rather well in competitions, but given the opportunity the OP will always shill for Schmeisser over mine...so he should just buy one of those, or anyone else's for that matter 🤣

Archived