Pard NV 007

Paul Cat

I bought one of these and used it for the first time last night. While I've no other experience of using NV equipment apart from a budget spotter I have to say I'm mightily impressed.

It attaches via a collar that clamps onto the scope, the unit then attaches in a bayonet fitting type of way. Being a bit fussy and not wanting to scratch my scope I faffed around for an hour or so winding strips of plastic tape around the outside of the scope and the inside of the collar so that I can slide the whole thing on and off to either use the rifle in daylight or the unit as a spotter.

The instruction manual is in Chinglish so not particularly helpful. I'll be learning some of the functions (recording video on the micro SD card, etc) by trial and error with lots of swearing. It has a wi-fi (Bluetooth) function so you can also live stream to a phone, handy if others want to watch. As Nobby Nomates I shoot alone so won't have much call for that!

The basics were pretty easy to pick up and I got a couple of hours in last night (battery was only partially charged) during which time I was able to bag three rabbits. I even walked up on a couple of foxes waiting to ambush rabbits coming through a hedge. I got within about 70 yards (range estimation is tricky for now) and saw a rabbit pass them by. I watched him hop around for about five minutes then shot him for them. Their respite was temporary, I'll be going back for them before lambing season.

I was sceptical about the unit's 5W illuminator so used my Ledray 900 but needn't have bothered. The illuminator has three settings and the manufacturer claims it to be good for up to 300 yards. I was easily spotting out to 200 yards last night and with a bit more practice and familiarity reckon their claim would not be far off the mark.

Prices vary around £400, I paid £375 from a really helpful vendor. I'm not sure about forum rules so won't post a link but if anyone wants more details PM me.

Sorry if I sound like a kid with a new toy and if this is all old news to you veterans but as a virgin NV user I'm amazed at this piece of equipment.

Pard NV 007.jpg

ive just sent mine back as i was getting a clearer crisper image off my  "somebloke kwik fit add - on rig" , they are good little units and the bayonnet fitting is a masterpiece except for the o-rings on the unit which apparently can split regularly with putting on and taking off the unit 

the new dedicated NV008  unit from pard is due out shortly and no doubt they will have another winner there

13 hours ago, telf said:

ive just sent mine back as i was getting a clearer crisper image off my  "somebloke kwik fit add - on rig" , they are good little units and the bayonnet fitting is a masterpiece except for the o-rings on the unit which apparently can split regularly with putting on and taking off the unit 

the new dedicated NV008  unit from pard is due out shortly and no doubt they will have another winner there

I use one on a Hawke Vantage and get a lovely crisp image, I suspect it would be down to your scope not the unit itself.  I sold a Drone to free some cash up and don't feel at any disadvantage for my uses.  Still have a Drone on my main Foxing rifle but the little Pard has really impressed me.

8 hours ago, Bob57 said:

👍 Welcome to the dark side😀, once you get bitten by night vision you'll probably be spending a lot more money, but it's worth it .

I suspect that might be true. The oddest thing was being able to walk up on animals without them even knowing I was there. Almost voyeuristic. Not that I'm into...y'know....people's windows and the like. 😉

17 hours ago, spanner said:

I use one on a Hawke Vantage and get a lovely crisp image, I suspect it would be down to your scope not the unit itself.  I sold a Drone to free some cash up and don't feel at any disadvantage for my uses.  Still have a Drone on my main Foxing rifle but the little Pard has really impressed me.

No not the scope which is a falcon m18 , they are excellent with the  NV and the pard according to other reviews on a thread running on either bbs or nv forums

• 2 weeks later...

Latest lesson on my never ending learning curve is...don't carry a spare battery in the same pocket as a bunch of keys (or anything else metallic).

Although that said, the battery did make a nice hand warmer after I fished it out.

7 hours ago, Paul Cat said:

Latest lesson on my never ending learning curve is...don't carry a spare battery in the same pocket as a bunch of keys (or anything else metallic).

Although that said, the battery did make a nice hand warmer after I fished it out.

😂😂 didn't they teach you anything at school 😀

Archived