Foxes everywhere today!!!

Bob57

On one of the farms I control the foxes and pick up on, and it was my driven pheasant invite day, Saw one picking up two weeks ago so sat up hi seat a few nights later and shot a dog and vixen,result, cleared up again☺. Then today 3 foxes seen, and stunk of fox everywhere, sometimes they make you look like you're not doing a proper job😓.

Weather looks good for tomorrow night so hopefully my lad  and I will sort them out again!!

Hi nick, both, but depends how I'm going about it. If I'm sitting in a hiseat or waiting standing on back of truck, it's thermal spotter and drone pro n/v. If I'm being driven around then occasionally lamp and rifle, more early days on stubble though, then after that when driven around lamp to spot and on to drone for shot with lampman watching through thermal. Tomorrow night I'll be in a hiseat with my n/v and my lad will be in another seat with his nitesite eagle and spotter extreme. I haven't lamped this farm since harvest, just n/v.

No luck off the hiseats tonight, 4 hours and a numb bum, had enough so got down, went to pick my lad up from his seat, and determind not to leave without a fox had a drive around.

An hour later and we had shot a dog and vixen, so got home relieved we'd not blanked😃.

Another farm I had cleared all the foxes on, got down to just the odd one, then these 3 mangy burger bar Charlie's turn up,all shot in one spot, vixen and 2 dogs,one of them an absolute monster that stank to high hell.

I reckon definately mangy town drop offs !!!

IMG_20181230_232523.jpg

On 12/29/2018 at 11:36 PM, Bob57 said:

No luck off the hiseats tonight, 4 hours and a numb bum, had enough so got down, went to pick my lad up from his seat, and determind not to leave without a fox had a drive around.

An hour later and we had shot a dog and vixen, so got home relieved we'd not blanked😃.

3 hours on the hiseat tonight, bloody freezing out there,but shot another vixen,so worth the cold wait,and a text made a happy farmer again😃.

Well done on the shooting Bob you are knocking them over just now 👍, I was out on a small farm I shoot on and seen two on Saturday night got one of them, the other one would not stop for me. I wonder if they get spooked with the glow on the ir sometimes! 

ATB

Martin.

Cheers Martin, well done too. yep you definately get the odd spooked fox with ir, the one I shot tonight was at 4.50 pm and only just dark, but as it as only about 100yds on the bait I didn't need to turn on the ir, could see it no prob with the drone. If you don't need the ir, don't turn it on👍

Been picking up on same farm today and foxes everywhere again, beaters reckon 5 different foxes, jeeezus it's hard keeping up with them at the moment !!! Not long ago I had them right down but they're back with a vengeance.

Hi Martin, yep I'm beginning to think they're being dropped off again had the same on this farm 2 yrs ago, just kept wacking them every night I went there, shot 95 that year, normally about 50 per year on this farm.

On 1/11/2019 at 6:15 PM, Bob57 said:

Been picking up on same farm today and foxes everywhere again, beaters reckon 5 different foxes, jeeezus it's hard keeping up with them at the moment !!! Not long ago I had them right down but they're back with a vengeance.

shoot a fox and two will come to its funeral.

Been out till late tonight and had a blank

its that time of year when thier mating and pushing out the young as well to other foxs ground I've got one that's around more in the day time than at night got a Camra on the bait sites so should get some more of a target time,

well done Bob for dedication I could not sit out in this weather in a high seat for so long!

19 hours ago, Montey said:

Been out till late tonight and had a blank

its that time of year when thier mating and pushing out the young as well to other foxs ground I've got one that's around more in the day time than at night got a Camra on the bait sites so should get some more of a target time,

well done Bob for dedication I could not sit out in this weather in a high seat for so long!

Yep I think you're right montey about the mating,all of a sudden there's foxes on all my shoots again, promised to go to 3 shoots this week and it's bloody freezing 😞.not enjoyable up a hiseat at the moment.

1 minute ago, Bob57 said:

Well done mate,nice head shot, and I had you down as a target/gong basher only. lol

No no no bob , targets/ gongs  are just good fun . I’ve been shooting fur and feather for 40 odd yrs , I’ve started back keepering part time as well  ( I said I wouldn’t bother again but ....) 

5 minutes ago, One on top of two said:

No no no bob , targets/ gongs  are just good fun . I’ve been shooting fur and feather for 40 odd yrs , I’ve started back keepering part time as well  ( I said I wouldn’t bother again but ....) 

👍 Me too, 50 odd years now,I can remember struggling to cock the old underlever .177 BSA air rifle to shoot sparrows and starlings out of the oak trees at home😀.

Once a keeper allways a keeper I reckon, anyway a great way of life, just had a lovely dinner,  Pheasant breast wrapped with bacon, caseroled with mushrooms onions red peppers etc, roast and mashed potatoes, broccoli and mashed swede with a smashing gravy😋 👌 ,  followed with homemade apple crumble and vannila ice cream👌.washed down with a cracking hobgoblin😘.   Pheasant shot friday on the plate tonight😀.

And now you know why I didn't go foxing tonight😂😂.

I’m just finishing some sloe gin . 

I know what you mean , mine was a little old Diana .177 on my 7th birthday much to the disgust on my nan . At 8 yrs I got my first .410 ( little 3 shot norcia ) two weeks later I shot my first wood pigeon with my dad , decoying over laid crop . From that point on  I never looked back .

however,  even  though I’m back keepering I don’t shoot game . If I’m honest I tend to give my days away . I have never come home after a days game shooting and ever felt Iike I had earned it . 

I like the keepering side of things , but if I shoot something for the freezer .  it’s got to be earned . 

So I just stick to my stalking , foxing , pigeon shooting, lamping rabbits . And like I said the targets are just good fun without hurting owt . 

Me too with my dad and decoying pigeons, his Aya no4 used to nearly knock me over😂 .  I only get a couple of driven invite days and a few beaters days, but I certainly earn it with all the picking up and foxing I do☺

Nice one bob , I had another little bugger last night , 

was a great shot in the sense of very clean kill . Was also a PB for me too , 309 yards straight in the bib , but to be honest there’s no bragging rights , although a long shot at night it was probably the easiest I have ever done , it was sitting at the bottom of the bank I use to zero my rifles so I know the exact range , and it was just sitting there looking at me , a kid could have made the shot .