Pulsar xq38f

silent_varmintor

Does anybody know what sort of cost second hand units are going for just now ? 

I was was either going to look at getting a second one of these or maybe a set of accolades xq38 version. Question for this unit is how does it effect your eyes when looking through these ? I know with the monocular it really effects my eye when I have looked through it for a while. Find it hard to walk about cos I can’t see jack that which promotes growth and vigour !! Are the binos worse ? 

Unless I'm missing something ..... I guess your going to get the same in both eyes

I have the Helion XP50 and I get that effect in my right eye but I wouldn't say it was to the same degree as your having and mine is only really noticed when i close each eye and compare .

OSOK

58 minutes ago, OSOK said:

Unless I'm missing something ..... I guess your going to get the same in both eyes

I have the Helion XP50 and I get that effect in my right eye but I wouldn't say it was to the same degree as your having and mine is only really noticed when i close each eye and compare .

OSOK

thanks for replying,

i don't have any thermal yet, i used a friends xq38 and a couple of home made thermal spotters made by phoenix, after some use it does get pretty difficult to use that eye when walking about in the dark. i have a chance of buying a second hand xq38f as my friend is not really interested anymore in it but i was contemplating the accolade xq38, but if that is going to make both eyes unusable at night then I'm not sure i will go down that route. pulsar do say that the biocular is not meant to do this and it should a lot easier on the eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I don't know about cost, but at night  I have to use my Helion monocular just with my left eye, so I can use the right for the rifle. I think it’s the difference between the bright vision in the helion suddenly contrasting to the night. During the day it’s fine.

i turn the brightness really low which helps but I still get shadowy vision.

I think the same as OSOK.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the XQ38F Helion and was underwhelmed so switched to the XQ38 Accolade binoculars which I find much better to use. My eyes take a couple of seconds to acclimatise to the darkness after looking through them, but it takes longer than that to put them down and pick up a rifle so I find it makes no difference.

I have been bitten by the thermal bug, and thinking about upgrading to the top end binoculars.

I was massively underwhelmed by the Helions too, but I had (still have) a Quantum XP50 when they came out. Picture was no better (same 17um sensor I think?) and ergonomically Helion was a big step backward for me. Just some gimmicky bits added overall.

However, I'd be surprised if anyone wasn't blown moving to a half decent thermal spotter from a lamp or NV.

I've just bought an Accolade LRF, again the picture isnt in a different league from other 17um sensor units, but the LRF is a huge selling point to me. First use last night expecting to be blind in both eyes instead of just one but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Not cheap but being able to accurately range things at night is huge. 

Don't get me wrong, having thermal is a total game changer. But for me the image on the XQ38F Helion wasn't good enough. It wasn't a patch on my buddy's two year old XQ50 Quantum, which I found better in every aspect except field of view. Only when I switched to the Accolade binoculars was I satisfied, but they do cost considerably more.

12 hours ago, Mossy-dog said:

Any further thoughts on second hand value?

i was thinking £1300 of its still got some warranty left?

That sounds pretty low to me and would snap them up at that price. I would generally expect to pay at least 2/3rds of RRP, but as demand is currently exceeding supply the second hand value might be even higher.

Used one on a popular auction site with a load of bids on it currently at £1750 o.O

There was a Quantum XP50 sell for 1900-odd a couple of weeks ago, the 38/50 objective Pulsar thermal spotters seem to be holding their values well.

I've got an 38s one of the first just changed over to one of Clive wards E6 pro it's in a different league really shows if you take the two out together on a wet night. 

XQ38F went for £1919 on that auction site this evening. Pretty mad when retail is £2250? Sure you can get them at least 10% off that easily ;s

21 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

XQ38F went for £1919 on that auction site this evening. Pretty mad when retail is £2250? Sure you can get them at least 10% off that easily ;s

When I contacted Scott Country in regards to px my XQ38f for an accolade xp50LRF they said that it would be around the £1000 mark, jeez what a joke, its still in warranty and mint. 

RAW that’s what I’m talking about for value. eBay ebay seem to be mad money, more than you can buy them for new!

£1000 seems low but they need to make a margin and that would probably take you to £1300 from them s/h?  Anything more than that and you are as well going new at just sub £2k with a full warranty. 

On 1/30/2019 at 3:23 AM, Mossy-dog said:

RAW that’s what I’m talking about for value. eBay ebay seem to be mad money, more than you can buy them for new!

£1000 seems low but they need to make a margin and that would probably take you to £1300 from them s/h?  Anything more than that and you are as well going new at just sub £2k with a full warranty. 

I will take it to the shooting show and have a face to face with Scott Country the problem with eBay is their cut then paypal cut. 

Archived