Weapon mounted range finder or hand held.

Thinking of getting a range finder and was wondering what peoples thoughts were on having a weapon/scope mounted one or is hand held better?.

Like the look of the Custom rifle scope weapon mounted day and night one.

Are there any good day/night hand helds?

Thanks.

Tim

i have used the Custom rifle scope one for about 3 years now, it works fine. the hand held one was good for about 50 yards unless you use a very big torch even  then the display doesn't have enough resolution to see what your trying to range.

• 3 weeks later...

Not wishing to upset you, but why refer to a sporting rifle as a weapon? Surely weapons are used against people?

Anyhow, your choice of rangefinder should be dictated by its intended purpose. Is it for ratting with an air rifle or shooting larger quarry or targets at extended ranges?

"Weapon" is the term used throughout and interchangably with "firearm" and "shotgun" in the firearms Act so there is no distinction in law,

Nowhere in UK law does it say that a wepaon used against people and a rifle used against animals

A rifle used for sporting purposes is, in law, no different from a rifle used for any other purpose, they are all "weapons"

Cheers

Bruce

Phoenix is spot on.

17 Rem - Let's call a spade an earth removal tool?

I use the term "weapon" on occasion, it's because I'm an ex-squaddie I think. The HO refer to both weapons and firearms; used as interchangeable terms. Even the NRA (UK) use the word weapon in their "safety" literature for RCOs.

I do agree that "firearm" is a more neutral term when discussing with none-shooters who may be sensitive lambs but between shooters ??!

1 hour ago, Breacher said:

There was a FEO in the Met who had a bee in his bonnet about the term - he would actually warn any FAC holder that he would submit a report about the FAC holder if its use continued !!!!!

Dont know if he ever did or what came of it if he did.....................

FEO`s are often civvy`s who have to be put in their place.

7 hours ago, phoenix said:

"Weapon" is the term used throughout and interchangably with "firearm" and "shotgun" in the firearms Act so there is no distinction in law,

Nowhere in UK law does it say that a wepaon used against people and a rifle used against animals

A rifle used for sporting purposes is, in law, no different from a rifle used for any other purpose, they are all "weapons"

Cheers

Bruce

Well said Bruce,

Bear in mind though that you were replying to someone who doesn’t see the need for any of us to have anything other than a traditionally stocked sporting rifle, so not really surprised by his comment

Archived