Tikka T3 improvements?

I have a Tikka T3 .308 and have not used it much yet but....

1. I dislike the plastic mag.

2. The stock is not the best.

My question revolves around fitting new bottom metal for AICS mag.

If that is done would I be able to later fit a GRS Berserk stock or similar?

As I understand it,new bottom metal would require a gunsmith so any recommendations in the north east of england?

This will be a winter project as my wife has decided to boost the UK economy with my credit card for Christmas so this will be my revenge

21 hours ago, pengo said:

Try sending a message to Big Al on here (Alan Maughan) he is in your part of the world and may be able to help. He's a top smith and worthy of a call.

Hope this helps.

Cheers. Paul

Thank you for your reply.

His name rings a bell (in a good way!).

It could work out expensive with having to buy the bottom metal and then get it fitted and if you then buy a grs stock you will have to get it inletted for the bottom metal as well. 

I bought a krg bravo chassis for my T3 which takes aics mags so no fitting required. 

Pick your stock first. The Grs stocks will accept a floor plate readily. The berserk is a little trickier, but can be done. The bifrost won't take one [its like a swiss cheese ]

I fit floor plates to Tikka's and Rem,s , weekly. If you want a quote, give me a bell.

P5Fv792.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

Palo's post about KRG chassis may prove the easiest and cost effective option.

As Pongo mentioned,BigAl is not too far away so two options to mull over.

Thanks to you all for the time taken to let me have your thoughts.

It is greatly appreciated.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:45 PM, Dunc said:

https://riflemags.co.uk/tikka-magazines/

Another possibility is a metal mag from these guys.  I got one and it works well as a larger capacity mag but my plastic ones are fine.  I see the prices have increased significantly since I got mine...

Doesn't help your stock issue though.... :) 

https://riflemags.co.uk/tikka-t3-t3x-fit-6-round-aluminium-308-magazine/

https://riflemags.co.uk/tikka-t3-t3x-fit-10-round-aluminium-308-magazine/

The mags were a slice cheaper before sterling was hit by the Brexit vote outcome, still cheaper than inletting + AICS mags or a new stock/chassis + mags.

:)

I have had a Third Eye AICS fitted to my Tikka T3 (.308) Feeds 100%

The plastic mags were in my opinion the weak point, Had a few missed chances at a "Burn Up" when contracting due to mags not feeding.

I must be the only person who likes the factory stock, with 2 x but spacers it fits me perfect, My only area of trepidation was that my smith didn't think there was much point in bedding the stock as he felt that they didn't respond well and the gains would be very marginal at best if any.

After speaking with several other smiths all echoed his opinion, I did fit a stainless recoil lug and that was it. It shoots like a Laser with the new Barrel fitted and this winter bouncing around in the hills will hopefully build back the confidence that i had with it prior to having the stock inlet opened to fit the bottom metal.

Time will tell 😉

Kind regards Bob. 

36 minutes ago, bobthenailer said:

....I must be the only person who likes the factory stock, with 2 x but spacers it fits me perfect, My only area of trepidation was that my smith didn't think there was much point in bedding the stock as he felt that they didn't respond well and the gains would be very marginal at best if any.

Kind regards Bob. 

I am happy with the factory stock too on my .223.  And my lad is happy with his on his .308.    With Hornady .223 V-max at 100yds, 1/2" 5 shot groups have been achieved.

Never experienced a problem with a T3 chambering.....cycled and chambered flawlessly every time. And never had the mag ramp/lips wear away, courtesy of using a bobsled (guess I got lucky)...Stock is pretty much the ideal fit, which for me, is what matters most...

No 'improvement' necessary

Archived