Borden .243

baldie

Finished this one recently, and its a bit different.

The customer wanted a short, relatively lightweight gun for Hinds and also mounting his NV gear on.

gazsE4s.jpg

I started with a Borden action. This was then fitted with a Bartlien 2B profile, sported blank. Finished at 17" and threaded M14 x 1 and capped as usual.

sb6RBoU.jpg

Moderator is an A-tec hertz. 

All metalwork done  in Cerakote OD Green.

The trigger is one of the excellent Big N Andy tac sport units.

Floorplate is a Sunny hill billet stainless model. Hellish expensive, but beautifully made.

H6P5v0f.jpg

KYBmzTj.jpg

The stock is a McMillan TPR model. First one I've ever used, and had to be special ordered direct.

Go4ENVx.jpg

Full bedding, as usual.

Looks very handy and pointable Dave

Unusual stock design - not seen this model before - is it lightweight compared to A series McMillan 

Hi Andy,

Its one of those stocks, i tend to think you gloss over when looking at them. Its actually a tactical stock, designed for heavy calibre rifles such as the mcmillan 50 i believe. The stock isn't light, and i'm pretty sure it had the sniper fill, which is usually for big calibres.

Cant say I was over enamoured with it, upon first glance, but its actually a very pointable stock, and it grew on me.

Banus,

Its a 1-8" twist so will handle deer legal bullets. How the owner handholds it, is entirely up to him.

4 hours ago, baldie said:

Hi Andy,

Its one of those stocks, i tend to think you gloss over when looking at them. Its actually a tactical stock, designed for heavy calibre rifles such as the mcmillan 50 i believe. The stock isn't light, and i'm pretty sure it had the sniper fill, which is usually for big calibres.

Cant say I was over enamoured with it, upon first glance, but its actually a very pointable stock, and it grew on me.

Banus,

Its a 1-8" twist so will handle deer legal bullets. How the owner handholds it, is entirely up to him.

good evening ,thank you,even at 1 in 8 and after hinds possibly in scotland where 100gr bullet is minimum getting deer legal with that short a barrel may be a challenge ,nice looking rifle though.

This stock or a slightly different variation of it was used by the Canadian sniper Rob furlong , to achieve his   2430 meter tali kill . The rifle was the  Tac.50 , although the 50 version had a spring or piston assembly in the stock behind the pistol grip and cheek piece to help soak up the recoil . He actually ran out of ammo and used us marine ammo which was 'hotter' and helped them connect that day. I have a picture of his rifle on my old laptop and the scope was im sure was a leupold M4 20x zoom model mildot ret . There is a interview from him on YouTube - about that famous 2430 . Dave lovely as usual    , and i love that stock , never seen or held one  in the flesh .

Archived