Recomendations for reloading manual

shooter83

Dear all,

I would like to start reloading .308, .223 and 38s/357 magnum. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a good reloading manual please. There seem to be so many specific to bullet manufacturers. I'm not sure where to start really.

Thank you 

Lee Reloading Manual is about the best in terms of being the most comprehensive and containing tonnes of useful advice. I have lots of them, inlcuding the Lee and the Lyman but the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition is the one I'd recommend above all others.  It contains a lot of blurb about how Lere kit is all you need and carefully thought out...that may well be the case for some but take that with a pinch of salt and listen instead to the advice on reloading and you'l not go far wrong.  Well written, comprehensive load tables (even if new REACH compliance rules a lot of the powders out!).

Choose your bullet and buy the corresponding manufacturers manual.

You cannot assume that data provided  by a different bullet manufacturer is safe even if its for the same calibre and weight.

Its best to cross-check with at least one other manual to see if you get broad consensus on powder and loading weights.

In the end you will need to be cautious of even the chosen bullet manufacturers data and work up to a final load gradually per normal practice.

id look @ what powders u can actually get and use their reloading data most of which now listing specific bullet and primer powder combinations all will have the basic OAL, pressures. funny there  was a conversation at the range on reloading manuals the other day and how now 75% of the powders listed in most are no longer available. those calibres youve  listed have all the info published on the net.  

I use Lapua bullets, Lapua brass and Vhit' powder and I've found the Vhit'  data book (free on their website) to be an excellent starting point. For pistol calibers and cast-lead bullets Lyman is great. I find the Lee manual to be useful but too oriented to their products. It's worth noting that many US powders are now banned under REACH so there's little point in manuals that major on those.

The various powder manufacturers also provide good data online

Thank you all for your input. I have never reloaded so was asking about the manuals more for info on how to reload, I. E what equipment I would need etc. Anyone have any recomedation for a helpful shop where I can buy all the gear from  and where they might be willing to spend the time to explain some of the process? I'm in hertfordshire but willing to drive an hour in any direction.  

Thank you all once again. 

Archived