New barrel breaking in

Nick 53

I`m sure most of us would agree AI know a thing or two about rifle barrels , they recommend the following...

"12. BARREL BREAK-IN PROCEDURE Before a new rifle reaches a customer it has been already shot several rounds. The rifle is first ‘proof’ tested and then tested for function and accuracy by firing at least two five-round groups. The rifle and barrel are cleaned thoroughly after each of these processes.

If the user wishes to continue a barrel break in procedure on the receipt of the new rifle, we would suggest the following, using standard ball ammunition. The barrel cleaning procedure described in this manual should be followed while carrying out any barrel breaking in procedure.

Shoot 3 shots and clean

Shoot 5 shots and clean

Shoot 5 shots and clean

Shoot 10 shots and clean

It is important to maintain a good cleaning regime for the life of the rifle."

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Moorlander said:

I`m sure most of us would agree AI know a thing or two about rifle barrels , they recommend the following...

"12. BARREL BREAK-IN PROCEDURE Before a new rifle reaches a customer it has been already shot several rounds. The rifle is first ‘proof’ tested and then tested for function and accuracy by firing at least two five-round groups. The rifle and barrel are cleaned thoroughly after each of these processes.

If the user wishes to continue a barrel break in procedure on the receipt of the new rifle, we would suggest the following, using standard ball ammunition. The barrel cleaning procedure described in this manual should be followed while carrying out any barrel breaking in procedure.

Shoot 3 shots and clean

Shoot 5 shots and clean

Shoot 5 shots and clean

Shoot 10 shots and clean

It is important to maintain a good cleaning regime for the life of the rifle."

They don't know any more than anyone else, so that is just their opinion...and we all have one of those!

5 minutes ago, bradders said:

They don't know any more than anyone else, so that is just their opinion...and we all have one of those!

I`d say they`ve done more scientific research than than anyone here and more than most in the firearms manufacturing industry, theres a big difference between opinion and scientific evidence.

3 minutes ago, Moorlander said:

I`d say they`ve done more scientific research than than anyone here and more than most in the firearms manufacturing industry.

I wouldn’t, they have used barrels from several manufacturers over the years, made from different materials and using different forms of rifling, so what’s good for one doesn’t necessarily mean it’s as good for another

It’s just an opinion, and as most of their rifles go to Mil and Pol, but mostly Mol, who never seem to use copper removers, just CLP or whatever, then does it really matter? Coz I bet they don’t follow break in procedures!

10 minutes ago, bradders said:

I wouldn’t, they have used barrels from several manufacturers over the years, made from different materials and using different forms of rifling, so what’s good for one doesn’t necessarily mean it’s as good for another

It’s just an opinion, and as most of their rifles go to Mil and Pol, but mostly Mol, who never seem to use copper removers, just CLP or whatever, then does it really matter? Coz I bet they don’t follow break in procedures!

I`ll still go with what they recommend , they do know what they are doing and have been doing it a while 😉 

1 hour ago, Moorlander said:

I`ll still go with what they recommend , they do know what they are doing and have been doing it a while 😉 

Other barrel manufacturers have been doing it for longer, they all have their recipes which never seem to be the same, so do what you feel is best....let’s just not have this topic again please, it’s almost as bad as “what’s the best powder for me Creedmoor”? 🤣

Lifted directly from Bartlein barrels website:

Break in and Cleaning

The age old question, “Breaking in the New Barrel”. Opinions very a lot here, and this is a very subjective topic. For the most part, the only thing you are breaking in, is the throat area of the barrel. The nicer the finish that the Finish Reamer or Throating Reamer leaves, the faster the throat will break in.

Shoot one round and clean for the first two rounds individually. Look to see what the barrel is telling you. If I’m getting little to no copper out of it, I sit down and shoot the gun. Say 4 – 5 round groups and then clean. If the barrel cleans easily and shoots well, we consider it done.

If the barrel shows some copper or is taking a little longer to clean after the first two, shoot a group of 3 rounds and clean. Then a group of 5 and clean.

After you shoot the 3rd group and 5th group, watch how long it takes to clean. Also notice your group sizes. If the group sizes are good and the cleaning is getting easier or is staying the same, then shoot 4 – 5 round groups.

If fouling appears to be heavy and taking a while to clean, notice your group sizes. If group sizes are good and not going sour, you don’t have a fouling problem. Some barrels will clean easier than others. Some barrels may take a little longer to break in. Remember the throat. Fouling can start all the way from here. We have noticed sometimes that even up to approximately 100 rounds, a barrel can show signs of a lot of copper, but it still shoots really well and then for no apparent reason, you will notice little to no copper and it will clean really easy.

This is meant as guide lines only. There is no hard and fast rule for breaking in a barrel.

I've read a lot of arguements on this but I usually do the AI method mentioned above. I do it as part of sighting in so it's no big deal anyway.

Slightly off-topic, I've only ever had one custom barrel and when I got it I was warned that it would take approx. 100 rounds for it to settle down. 

First groups were .75" at 100m at best but sure enough it did tighten up the more I shot it. Anyone else experience this?

I've seen too many splendidly accurate rifles that never got "run in" to hang my hat on the process. That said, I believe that it takes some rounds down the tube before it delivers the best accuracy.

I shoot just my new rifles. The first couple of hundred rounds are are spent learning how to shoot that particular rifle. Then I worry about what load it likes. ~Andrew.

On 4/11/2019 at 2:43 PM, bradders said:

Other barrel manufacturers have been doing it for longer, they all have their recipes which never seem to be the same, so do what you feel is best....let’s just not have this topic again please, it’s almost as bad as “what’s the best powder for me Creedmoor”? 🤣

What powder IS best for me 6.5 CM and will it aid "running in"?  😂 

16 hours ago, Andrew said:

I've seen too many splendidly accurate rifles that never got "run in" to hang my hat on the process. That said, I believe that it takes some rounds down the tube before it delivers the best accuracy.

I shoot just my new rifles. The first couple of hundred rounds are are spent learning how to shoot that particular rifle. Then I worry about what load it likes. ~Andrew.

+1. I do clean when new to remove proof house and factory group test powder residue, then shoot until I see evidence of coppering before cleaning, and repeat as often as necessary.  I find that all my barrels have "speeded up" through the first few hundred rounds before settling down but as you say, it takes that long anyway to learn how to shoot properly, and I never worry about load dev' until that point.

11 hours ago, VarmLR said:

...but only if you first coat the barrel and bullets in go faster dust....no, that was naughty....must not stir the pot, I must not stir the pot stir.gif

Don't for get to add the snake oil as you stir as the fairy dust will go lumpy 😁😂.

I've quite enjoyed these threads.thanks chaps for making me smile 👍😉😀

19 minutes ago, VarmLR said:

...but only if you first coat the barrel and bullets in go faster dust....no, that was naughty....must not stir the pot, I must not stir the pot stir.gif

MAGIC fairy dust😜😁😁

IMG_20190412_150644.jpg

19 minutes ago, No i deer said:

Don't for get to add the snake oil as you stir as the fairly dust will go lumpy 😁😂.

I've quite enjoyed these threads.thanks chaps for making me smiling 👍😉😀

Fairy dust, better than fairly dust, and zx1 is much better than snake oil😂

7 minutes ago, lee w 118 said:

First time out with the creed 7shot zero and 5 shot group .with factory 143g eld x. Witnessed  patched after 7 rounds and shot for group 16mm edge to edge. Bart tube first 12 shots 👍

Screenshot_20190412-213432.jpg

Must be the flutes on the tube, or Mick Mac or the Hornady factory ammo 😁🤣 we will never no?

That's impressive from a new barrel on factory ammo :)

This was my own attempt on my first home loads for the CM, at 100 yds.  6.4mm centre to centre/13mm edge to edge.  (.25 moa).  4 shots only though so extrapolated would probably have been twice that at 12 shots. My rifle seems to love the 139 scenar.

139ScenarGP1.thumb.jpg.cc8e5fe01c7223cd132eb50b0edd8a3b.jpg

On 2/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, MichalS said:

I got a detailed instruction of brake in. I followed it and can testify it works - you can feel it (the first cleaning I needed my fathers help to push the patch through) and see it - over the first 100 rounds and countless cleanings my groups shrank from 0.8 to 0.3 MOA using the same factory ammo. On my second rifle (a Tikka) the effect was less pronounced but was still there.

And this was due to your cleaning or the shooting of the rifle?

You will never know if would have just got better with time without the cleaning between shots.

There is no way to prove it works or that it doesn't. No two barrels are exactly alike and therefore you cannot know if the run-in would make it last an extra 100 rnds or more (less?) would it clean easier or not without the run-in. You cannot tell. All you can do is compare it to a different barrel and believe some of the multiple and often contradictory theories on the internet.

What is true is that if you are not confident in your equipment or the methods you use then it will always be on your mind and that will affect your shooting. Therefore; do it if it makes you happy, or not, the choice is yours and it can never be proven either way.

20 minutes ago, Mattnall said:

And this was due to your cleaning or the shooting of the rifle?

You will never know if would have just got better with time without the cleaning between shots.

There is no way to prove it works or that it doesn't. No two barrels are exactly alike and therefore you cannot know if the run-in would make it last an extra 100 rnds or more (less?) would it clean easier or not without the run-in. You cannot tell. All you can do is compare it to a different barrel and believe some of the multiple and often contradictory theories on the internet.

What is true is that if you are not confident in your equipment or the methods you use then it will always be on your mind and that will affect your shooting. Therefore; do it if it makes you happy, or not, the choice is yours and it can never be proven either way.

That is just about the truest and most pragmatic comment about barrel break-in I’ve read. Give that man a gold star for injecting reality into the subject.