Cannock Chase

Hi All,

after searching the interweb i haven't come up witha lot, so i thought i'd ask here ( you guys are pretty good when it comes to info)

Does anybody know who i can get in contact with, so i can go stalking on Cannock Chase?

Tulky

Got a feeling that a well known recent ex member used to stalk that area, are there some good red stags there ?. Thing is I doubt very much he paid much so there may be something cheaper in the area.

A

I have heard that there are wooded areas on the outskirts of Cannock forest that do stalking at more sensible prices, but sadly I have no more info, it needs a bit of research and asking round, any decent reds are for the big payers only in all forest areas.

There is day stalking in the lakes in Grizedale forest but again not cheap, then there is trophy fees and fines for misses and bigger fines for one that runs and even bigger fines if it runs and cant be found!! :)

Redfox

That sounds complicated but I suppose a reason to take plenty of gun. A friend now takes a 30.06 on red hinds on the hills as he found that .243 lacked the knock down power. I suspect it was more about shot placement.

A

Well I could say its all about reaming you for more money. But knowing the head ranger at Grizedale for years and listening to the stories of people who came stalking it isnt really, they have to pay the rangers wages and stalking is only a part of their duties, so when people foul up and the deer clears of taking several hours to find, it has to be paid for.

I agree placement is everything, a miss with a big cal is just the same a s amiss with a little one, although I would be happy enough with the 6.5 or 270 on reds, not had any runners with those ( 300WM is even better for the bigger farther out ones :lol: referring to another post)

Redfox

Guest sniper#1
As its the main office number would agree its only weekdays.

Redfox

hi guys.I did my level one and two with pete and can only say he was nothing but helpfull and obviously very knowledgable.he has other stalking available mostly fallow for reasonable costs.I have done permit stalking with others and am in a couple of syndicates at present and have to say that stalking ,with the cost of fuel,accommodation,food plus your membership fees or permit/outing fees stalking is not a cheap sport yet is still quite difficult to obtain unless you meet the right people.keep trying pete(i sometimes have to call him several times before i get him) and i,m sure he will help you out if he can.all the best #1

• 1 month later...

i have some land that backs on to Cannock Chase and the place is alive with deer ...

pete it came out wrong :lol: its Cannock Chase thats is alive with deer..i only get the few crossing on my land but they are there at times ..but Cannock Chase is the place to get if you can

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed Peter Purseglove has some stalking on land near Cannock through his private company called (I think) Mercia Deer Management or similar. Two or three years ago there were several very good stags with the herd of reds there. Now they have all dissapeared. Its a mystery to me where they could all have gone while the numbers of hinds and calves seem undiminished. Local newspapers published some comments from the land owner referring to the ethos of the cull and saying that 'several stags had been removed to control the population'. I just can't work out what has happened. Can anyone else give me some suggestions?? ;)

z

Z.

lt could be 'awt mate, over exploitation of trophies and a piss poor cull dynamic or thievin' pikeys or old mature animals dying out due to desease/winter starvation.... take your pick the list could be endless.....

Ratty.

Archived