Best AICS mag compatible bottom metal in UK?

lapua

Gents, im considering swapping my sunny hill bottom metal for a mag system, borden alpine 6xc in mcmillan.

im aware of tier one, is there anything else i should look at which is better quality/design and available in uk?

thoughts from those that know appreciated.

Atlasworks BM is fine -I’ve used this on countless repeating rifle builds

Badger is available via Brownels and what I would consider to be the best in terms of build quality - sit down before looking at the price.

Seekins, PTG also make excellent bottom metal as do Christian Arms but finding in the UK may be difficult 

• 2 weeks later...

I've used CDI Precision bottom metal on a Tikka 595 I once had. 

Extremely well made, absolutely no issues at all. Large mag catch to drop mags easily. They provide bottom metal for a wide variety of actions and calibres. 

They are based on the US but will ship to the UK - just give them a shout. Very nice/helpful people. 

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/

6 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

I've used CDI Precision bottom metal on a Tikka 595 I once had. 

Extremely well made, absolutely no issues at all. Large mag catch to drop mags easily. They provide bottom metal for a wide variety of actions and calibres. 

They are based on the US but will ship to the UK - just give them a shout. Very nice/helpful people. 

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/

Who did the inletting work if you don't mind me asking? Didn't realise these were still readily available for the m595

I keep the 595 bottom metals in stock. However, its not as simple as just fitting that to the stock. The action has to be opened up to accommodate the mag feed lips, as its not as wide as the T3 mag feed port. Thus, the gun has to be reproofed. The conversion works perfectly though.

Yes Baldie is right, a small amount of milling on the underside of the action sides is needed to allow the mag feedlips to get high enough for the bolt to pickup a round.

I had the inletting done at the same time as a new stock fitted, bedding and rebarrel...so reproofing was all done st the same time.

i won't tell you who did the work as I don't want you to use him. Putting it politely, I later found out, on an unrelated matter, that he's a total c*nt and I don't want you to be messed about like I have been.

But as Baldie notes, any competent rifle smith can do the job quite easily. 

I bought the CDI bottom metal directly from them and it was easy as pie. If I wanted bottom metal for another job, I wouldn't hesitate to use CDI again. 

Thanks gents. Guess I missed the obvious opportunity at the rebarrel stage. 

Having built up a stock of the standard 3 and 5 shot mags, I'd be interested to know if anyone does, or ever did, a straight upgrade for the standard plastic bottom metal? 

Archived