300 Norma Magnum

John MH

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not thought about low load and lighter bullets?

My next barrel (already on order!) will still be 300MN, possibly with different shoulder , I will not be using it that much.

Hi

i am watching this with interest, hoping some one would be kind to help me get started with some load data for 300 NM  i am planning to shoot 230 grs Berger as match amm..... But for hunting i will use 212 grs eld-x,vithavuori n-570,fed 215 and lapua brass,anyone have some idea/loaddata for the eld-x? Min/max

my rifle will be n my hands around xmas and has these specs

tuebor action singleshot

jury custom barrel 32" 1-9"

bix'n Andy 2. Stage

A3-5 stock

all put together by Olsens precision in sweden,and shipped to me in Denmark 

thanks and have a nice xmas

gep

• 1 month later...

Im getting my 300nm barrel 29in 1-9 in the next couple of weeks just waiting on proof and painting. Will be shooting 230gr berger and 200gr cutting edge, thinking of trying vhit565 and 570 as I use 570 in the 338. Found a little reloading info for the vhit powder.

Any one got any first hand info on loading for these bullets

Shendy,

Just in the process of finishing off my load development for the 300NM using the 230g OTM Hybrid  Bergers 

Tried N170 and 570 but found it a bit too fast ie did not reach my expected velocity 

The other powder I had planned to try RS80 (Reload 33) is performing much better, speeds 2900+ and no signs of pressure at my target velocities.

Obviously this is in my rifle running a 4 groove ‘standard ‘ rifling 1:9 27” barrel. The gunsmith who built the gun was waiting on a more ‘standardised’ reamer as there seemed to be some different versions of the 300NM dependant on end use ( from my memory/discussions with him) so mine works with AI 338 mag length rounds. 

Im to the range again to tidy up and settle on a load this week and will revert with my findings but so far this cartridge has been pretty easy to load for once I sorted the right powder.

T

Basic results, all loads refer to RS80, Bergner’s 230g OTM hybrids, Norma brass.

Once fired, annealed, .002 shoulder bump back. 3 thousand neck tension 

89.1.   2911 fps 

89.4.  2927 fps 

89.7.  2933 fps 

90.0.  2947 fps 

90.3.  2964 fps

no pressure signs on brass/primers or feel of bolt opening. All loads shot pretty much the same re grouping.

the .4 & .7 showed the lowest SD’s which matched the original stepped loading (as there is no data) with .5 giving the lowest SD at the time.

doing a quick new brass comparison

89.4.  2941 fps 

90.0.  2954 fps

So will go with 89.5 for the first full batch.

hust need to sort the non intrusive Magnetospeed mount.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Well after a problematic first day's testing at 110 yards, which I have not got to the bottom of yet, I reloaded my first batch of fire-formed Lapua cases. On initial firing the shoulders on the cases moved forward 0.010", bumped back 0.0025", neck tension set to 0.003", filled with 89 grains of RS80, Fed 215 LR Magnum primers and a Hornady 225 grain ELD Match.

I managed to get a muzzle velocity of 3100 fps with absolutely no pressure signs. Put that into AB App for sight elevation corrections for 650 yards, 900 yards, 1133 yards, 1240 yards, 1300 and 1400 yards.

Elevation corrections were pretty much spot on needing a maximum change from 110 yards to 1400 yards of 35.25 MOA. Wind was gusting right to left between 15 to 25 MPH so at 1400 yards I was holding off 11 MOA. Mostly managed 1st round hits at each distance with a 2nd round hit on the 1400 yard full sized IPSC. Pretty pleased with the results so far.

Thanks to Terryh for spotting for me.

RS have a new double based powder RS 76, which may be interesting for 300NM. I spoke with them at the IWA and they will send me temperature sensitivity data. Burn rate is between Vhit n165 and n170. 

5B65F4CD-1AAA-4DAA-BB0C-E56C0DF05E15.thumb.jpeg.27c5fcc17b97f5c28b1af9112d325291.jpeg

John,

The 1st round hit on the deer at 1140 yards was impressive - big smiles. The custom curve for AB seems to work very well as elevations at all distances were spot on - wind was, well a bit gusty!

RS80 seems to be a good powder in the 300NM, I've a very solid load giving 2940 and low SD's so happy with that. elevations TBA as the ballistic app i was using was out (consistently out, but out none the less) - 1st time out with rifle and Apps so not too worried.

Need to add the red dot to save time and stress at distance though!

Good couple of days shooting at Tiff's place, good crowd as well 😎

• 9 months later...

Just about to start with my .300 chaps. Going to use RS80 and the new Sierra 200 grain SMK.

Anyone got any data ? or a starting point ?

I'm thinking both John's and Terry's data for 215/225 grain bullets will be perfectly safe with a 200 grainer.

The new sierra has a bc just a couple of points shy of the berger 215, but its reasonable, and available.

DAVE,

RS80 or N170/570 would probably be pretty good starting. 

With N170 I had good results under the 230g but a bit slower than I was after. \with a 200g bullet might be better?

T

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time over the hols to get on with this chaps.

I ditched the sierra bullet, as it was only just making contact with the neck, when touching the lands. No doubt I could make it work, but it will be jumping a long way.

Used the Hornady ELDM 225 grain bullet, and 90.3 grains of RS80.

This gives 5 shot groups of half an inch, and the bullet is touching the lands.

Velocity of 2975 with an ES of 8 and an sd of 4

The node above it was more accurate at 100 yards, but the figures were starting to creep. I have no doubt I could have hit the next node up, the case isn't full, and there is no pressure, but thought that was good enough, and may preserve barrel life a tad.

Decided to shoot it in the 1000 yards F class comp yesterday at diggle, in the "military" class [which is for braked rifles, off a bipod and bean bag ]

Haven't shot F class in 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The wind was quite twitchy, but I ended up with an 88.2 which I thought was quite respectable.

I also hit the tennis balls twice during the blow off period. That sort of repeatable accuracy really does instill confidence.

The gun has that feel, of a laser. Love it.

Its a Sassen cut rifled 1-9" barrel at 30", holds no copper whatsoever, and shot right from round one.

4 hours ago, baldie said:

Had some time over the hols to get on with this chaps.

I ditched the sierra bullet, as it was only just making contact with the neck, when touching the lands. No doubt I could make it work, but it will be jumping a long way.

Used the Hornady ELDM 225 grain bullet, and 90.3 grains of RS80.

This gives 5 shot groups of half an inch, and the bullet is touching the lands.

Velocity of 2975 with an ES of 8 and an sd of 4

The node above it was more accurate at 100 yards, but the figures were starting to creep. I have no doubt I could have hit the next node up, the case isn't full, and there is no pressure, but thought that was good enough, and may preserve barrel life a tad.

Decided to shoot it in the 1000 yards F class comp yesterday at diggle, in the "military" class [which is for braked rifles, off a bipod and bean bag ]

Haven't shot F class in 10 years and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The wind was quite twitchy, but I ended up with an 88.2 which I thought was quite respectable.

I also hit the tennis balls twice during the blow off period. That sort of repeatable accuracy really does instill confidence.

The gun has that feel, of a laser. Love it.

Its a Sassen cut rifled 1-9" barrel at 30", holds no copper whatsoever, and shot right from round one.

Thats some good going. 

Think im going to ditch N570 and concentrate on RS80 in mine.

8 hours ago, John MH said:

I settled on the Hornady ELDM 225 grain bullet for my first load development but will soon be experimenting with Warner Tool Company Flatline .30 Caliber 198gr with Tubb Nose Ring.

I will be very intrested in how the 225gr ELDM's shoot for you....

I'm considering a 300wsm for f open throated for these bullets...

Cheers N I D 

• 1 month later...