Best ever pickles ?

Villadave59

Hi terry and moorlander,

Ok ,I'd love to claim this as my own but wife's mothers recipe,

1/shallots purchased on line from "Parrish farms" medium English shallots ,if these are medium glad I didn't go for large! £7.49 for 4kg

method

1/ peel shallots and cover in brine  ,1tbl spoon salt to 1 pint water cover bowl with a plate to ensure they stay fully submerged, for 24 hrs, drain but do not rinse!

2/ dry between tea towels when fully dry pack into jars tightly!

3/we use sarsons classic malt pickling vinegar heat gently in pan but do NOT! Boil, add sugar at a ratio of 7dessert spoons sugar to 1ltr of vinegar/ if you prefer a bit more kick add 3 dried red chillies and half  tsp of mustard seeds, 

4/ allow sweetened vinegar to cool fully then pour over onions ensuring they are completely submerged ,

5/ wait around 6-7 weeks and that's it ,

as you say cold meats on Boxing Day bubble and squeak ect, 

tend to have ploughmans lunch strong black bomber cheddar crusty bread Saturday lunch drool! Good luck 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been making pickles and chutnies for several years, I use a similar recipe to you, but I jar mine up when the vinegar is still a little warm, put the lids on and invert them to create a vacuum.  With moving from a 3 bed terraced house to a bungalow, I've not had the time or the space recently, that will be resolved next year.  Over the years, I've made them with a 50/50 mix of pickling vinegar and balsamic, very tasty. I've also made red cabbage, apple and ginger chutney, a very moorish apple and red chilli relish, beetroot and ginger chutney, a spicy chilli picalilli and several other blends, my family look forward to getting them as christmas presents, I've never had any complaints...............yet!

On 10/21/2018 at 8:18 AM, terryh said:

Looks to be just in time for Boxing Day with cold meat and mash!

Do you have a personal recipe?

Terry

I have for Mash

It's a N Ireland recipe called "Champ" and family favourite and I still love it

Boil up your favourite spuds, mash them up and mix in a generous knob of butter (Kerrygold for me)

Chop up a bunch of spring onions (Scallions as we call them)

Put these in a small saucepan with just enough milk to cover, bring to the boil and mix in with the mash

Serve with extra butter on the side

Bloody delicious and you can thank me later 😛

Looks like this

100295.jpg

Also perfect for Bangers 'n' Mash

• 4 years later...
On 10/21/2018 at 1:06 PM, Villadave59 said:

Hi terry and moorlander,

Ok ,I'd love to claim this as my own but wife's mothers recipe,

1/shallots purchased on line from "Parrish farms" medium English shallots ,if these are medium glad I didn't go for large! £7.49 for 4kg

method

1/ peel shallots and cover in brine  ,1tbl spoon salt to 1 pint water cover bowl with a plate to ensure they stay fully submerged, for 24 hrs, drain but do not rinse!

2/ dry between tea towels when fully dry pack into jars tightly!

3/we use sarsons classic malt pickling vinegar heat gently in pan but do NOT! Boil, add sugar at a ratio of 7dessert spoons sugar to 1ltr of vinegar/ if you prefer a bit more kick add 3 dried red chillies and half  tsp of mustard seeds, 

4/ allow sweetened vinegar to cool fully then pour over onions ensuring they are completely submerged ,

5/ wait around 6-7 weeks and that's it ,

as you say cold meats on Boxing Day bubble and squeak ect, 

tend to have ploughmans lunch strong black bomber cheddar crusty bread Saturday lunch drool! Good luck 

That sounds delicious