.17fireball reloaders

Bob57

Yep magpies,my favourite blow up too, when this rifle was .17rem the 20grn Vmax did a very humane job at 4350 fps 😂. Be interesting to see how it now performs in fireball at 4066 at fps,should still be good!!

Most satisfying 2 bullets I've ever used on magpies were out of my 22-250 with 50grn nosler b/t, waited for one to hop behind another,blew that pair up ,followed by a load of their mates dropping out of the hedge and landing around the bits going nuts, waited for one to go behind another again and had 4 for 2 😀, looked like a bomb site😂

Barrel is a Sassen T4 tikka heavy ,straight taper .

On 12/30/2018 at 4:15 PM, Elliott said:

Lovely looking rifle. Quite like the 17 rem and fireball. Great little vermin bashers. Do like the 204, though.

Thanks mate. I love my .204  as well, superb with drone on top, here you go.

IMG_20181231_121836.jpg

Looks like your sorted Bob. I'm now using xbr8208 powder with lapua brass and rem primers (easy3980fps,19.4gn 10thou off lands).
 Initial I used federal primers rem brass and 4198, but  I was suffering flatterned primers at well below max book  load.
I believe I saw there is a  new supply of .17fireball brass available now if you don't want to go down the necking down route. Happy days.

Neil

Cheers Neil, yes sorted and we'll pleased with how it shoots😃.

I didn't want to go with lapua brass and turning necks if I could help it, so hunted for remington brass and managed to find 200 new cases, bought a set of hornady F/L custom dies and got loading and testing,love that bit,finding that tight group,very satisfying ☺. Must say I really like those dies,the elliptical expander hardly drags at all, and didn't stretch the necks longer like many dies do, and the bullet seater was so easy to take the little .17 bullet in and up to seat.

What weight bullet are you using?  . Are they remington cases for sale again,and who's selling them? might buy some more😀.

Hi Bob 20gn . I'll have to look up the make of cases, they were mentioned on Sharpshootinguk fb group a month or so ago. There you go, but cheap they are not having just looked.

https://www.rccbrass.com/17-remington-fireball/   

It might be worth trying the rem importers  Raytrade  as they said to me .17fb brass would be a possibility later in 2018.

Hi Elliot, front on chest shot about 100yds,dropped it on the spot and wasn't going anywhere but because it raised its head I quickly gave it another. If that was with a .17 rem it would have been stone dead, just goes to show how a bit more horsepower and 300 fps on that 20grn Vmax makes all the difference. Anyway I didn't have it rebarreled in fireball as a foxing rifle but im sure it will do the job on Charlie if needed 😃

7 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Hi Elliot, front on chest shot about 100yds,dropped it on the spot and wasn't going anywhere but because it raised its head I quickly gave it another. If that was with a .17 rem it would have been stone dead, just goes to show how a bit more horsepower and 300 fps on that 20grn Vmax makes all the difference. Anyway I didn't have it rebarreled in fireball as a foxing rifle but im sure it will do the job on Charlie if needed 😃

Sounds like a good varmint calibre that can take down the ocassional fox as and when 😎

• 3 months later...

Well I didn't want to do it, but I've got to clear some rabbits tonight, so I've just taken the drone off the 204 and put it on the fireball,  could be fun tonight 😀

IMG_20190414_172002.jpg

Archived