.260 rebarrel

1 hour ago, Rangefinder said:

Hi my .260 currently has a heavy Varmint 26” 1-8.5 twist Remy action set in an AI Stock 

I want to shoot 123ELD,s or 130ELD,s out to 1000yds 

thanks Jimmy 

What are you asking for,  barrel make recommendations maybe  ?.

A

Barrel length....... as long as you can handle if its just for prone range work....30"......you may switch to 140g class in future and a slower powder / longer barrel typically = greater MV......Do some modeling in Quickload as a guide.

Of course if you want it to do double-duty for stalking or PRS style matches thats too long for comfort.

Twist is usually 1: 8

Throating......talk to your gunsmith but have an idea of what specific bullet you want to use.

Sticking to mag length will inhibit your options on the newer longer high BC bullets.

Along with throating considerations think about either single feeding at longer than standard COL OR if using aics mags taking out the blinder plate to increase COL capacity.

• 1 month later...

1/8 at 24 to 27 inches is more than adequate for 1000 yds using 123 or 139gr Scenars IME with plenty left in reserve.  There's been some testing ( Accurate Shooter I think it was) of barrel lengths v's velocity for 6.5mm, albeit in Creedmoor, where 20 to 24 inches was considered fine, but that's a close enough approximation for 260 too depending on the chamber throating (ie will it take longer pills at mag length?), and one the outcome in another test was that with some powder/bullet combos, velocity started dropping off after 27 inches I think it was.   A lot depends on powder burn rate and bullet mass/sidewall bearing length so no two comparisons might have the same conclusions but for general duties and target to 1000 yards,  24 inch barrel should be more than adequate...why carry a 30 inch tube about if you don't need to?  For purely competition work in 6.5 you might want to consider something a little longer. 

I’ve run a 26” 1:8.5 twist factory barrelled dta in 260 rem. It handled various 140gr bullets very nicely, 1000 yds being no problem at all. I never bothered working overly hard on a 130 gr load, as the 140 gr load was so good so easily. It’s now been shot out and replaced by a hardy carbon wrapped 26” 1:8 barrel with a throat suited for vld type bullets. It’s still running in but is already very accurate and has proved it self to beyond 1000 yds, again with 140 gr bullets.

Archived