Scopes and miraging

No i deer

After a brief pm from another ukv member miraging was mentioned and he said some scopes cope better than others.

Is this the case...?

What scopes are known to be better shooting through the mirage or is there no difference....?

I've never thought of doing a comparison.

Thoughts please

Fortunately, mirage is not a huge issue in the UK.  I the early days of F Class, I was shooting in a GBFCA 1000 yd League Match at Barry Budden in Scotland.  The mirage was awful - I was using a fixed 36X scope so I couldn't turn the mag. down as many of my competitors were doing.  However,  at an F Cass shoot in the States where the mirage was running, I asked a few of the top American shooters if they turned their scope mag. down - surprisingly, most didn't. 

In short-range benchrest - 100 - 200 yds - mirage is common at most overseas shoots.  It scares the heck out of me. All of us are using fixed power scopes between 40 and 50 power mag. but the Aussies and Americans, who shoot mirage all the time, just seem to get on with it.

Personally, I don't think there is a particular make of scope which will cope better with mirage but there is probably an optimum magnification - depending on range.

Then of course you have the other problem when shooting F Class - do you read the flags or the mirage?

How did the Europeans Go BTW?  Was there mirage?

The mirage was real bad on one of my stages.i may of been 2nd stage at 900yds after 9 good shots I completely lost sight of my markers in the mirage.for some reason they were using the small ones about 1 inch in size.i had no I deer where my shots were going then.the Spanish chap who I shot with said I think your last shot my 14 shot was about 5 oclock 6 or 7 inches from centre.i aimed at 10 o clock at 6 or 7 inches from centre of vbull and finished with a vbull.damage was already done then.i think I had a 67/6.

Next lot moved on and I heard one of them say he couldn't see the small markers.could he have the bigger ones.i wished I had asked.i thought you get what you get.

Overall mirage was herendous.i shot on about 18 mag every stage.the 6th stage I started on 32 mag then sun came out.wound it down again.i doubt if many shooters would of shot without any mirage.

Plenty of wind to move the flags.

There was some superb scores posted over the 2 days by the FO open and FT shooters.theyre maybe a big ballistic difference but the scoring doesn't really show that much.

Some stages I counted up more better FT scores than F open.....!

Archived