Best UK Varminting Calibre?

Elliott

It depends on the type of shooting you do.

The 204 works fine for me as a point and shoot rifle for foxes under the lamp and for crows and magpies during the day. 

If your into 500 yard plus shots you would be better of with something bigger in 6mm or 6.5mm 

Its an open ended question really - so . Varmint in my book is anything from rat to rabbit / hare - when needed ! Foxing is technically varmint but different class in my book . So varmint caliber would be something fast frangible 17 rem thru to 20 cals are excellent for normal ranges . But when needed past 400 id personaly go 6mmBR or 6xc 6x47 etc. Soo many to choose 

I am biased,but .204 out to 300(further,if not shooting against the wind),with 39gr BKs and from there on out,the 6br, shooting either 87 vmax or 105amax. They cover all situations,which in a way is a pity,as I have a slot for a .22br,but can see no advantages,except maybe a little accuracy gain over the .204. 

If I had to choose,it would be the 6br,which can shoot a huge range of bullet weights very accurately. 

You'll never get unanimity on this one because everyone has their own opinions and preferences.

For me, it has to be 22-250 if only because it clears any doubt I have in my mind that it's enough to do the job

I've seen too many runners with 17HMR, 204 and 22 Hornet to want to use them.

I thought long and hard between 223 and 22-250 but since almost all my shooting is at night where range estimation is difficult, the flatter shooting, higher MV of the 22-250 wins every time

Cheers

Bruce

Can't agree with you on the 204 with runners Bruce, 39grn blitz kings running fast hammer charlie.sounds like someone needs to get on the right bullet or get some shooting lessons.

Agreed about the 17 hmr though, shouldn't be granted for fox.

15 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Can't agree with you on the 204 with runners Bruce, 39grn blitz kings running fast hammer charlie.sounds like someone needs to get on the right bullet or get some shooting lessons.

Agreed about the 17 hmr though, shouldn't be granted for fox.

I gave a lot of thought to getting a 204 and then a gamekeeper pal of mine bought a remington 700 in 204, put a GRS stock on it and had it professionally bedded.

He is a much better shot than me, but he recently sold the 204 because he could not consistently kill foxes with it.

He now has a 22-250

I strongly suspect that the problem was that particular rifle, but once he lost confidence in i,t it had to go

Cheers

Bruce

5 hours ago, srvet said:

I have seen more runners on fox with the 17 Rem than the 22/250. Not a lot but it is less forgiving of less than ideal shot placement. 

years ago when I used 17rem a lot on fox I had many runners with 25 grn HP, drove me nuts, perfect placement and quite often off they'd go to be found next day. Then I changed to 20grn v max and hardly got a runner, but I've heard the opposite about both bullets from different people, strange things happen!! Then I got a 22-250 and yes that does flatten fox well but still get the odd runner, even with what you'd think perfect shot.wanted a rifle for dedicated n/v so got a 204 Ruger and after now shooting a couple of hundred fox with it so far, I'd say the odd runner is about on par with the 22-250. So we'll allways get the odd runner with whatever cal it's shot with and sometimes however good a placement, just depends on many things!!!

5 hours ago, phoenix said:

I gave a lot of thought to getting a 204 and then a gamekeeper pal of mine bought a remington 700 in 204, put a GRS stock on it and had it professionally bedded.

He is a much better shot than me, but he recently sold the 204 because he could not consistently kill foxes with it.

He now has a 22-250

I strongly suspect that the problem was that particular rifle, but once he lost confidence in i,t it had to go

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce, shame your pal didn't get on with his 204, I think you'd have loved it with a drone on top☺and 39 grn blitz kings up the spout.

what was he shooting in it? 32grn factory or homeloads? How's he getting on with the 22-250 ?

18 hours ago, Bob57 said:

Hi Bruce, shame your pal didn't get on with his 204, I think you'd have loved it with a drone on top☺and 39 grn blitz kings up the spout.

what was he shooting in it? 32grn factory or homeloads? How's he getting on with the 22-250 ?

Definitely ?

Archived