is it enough?

craigyboy

at the minute I am playing with oal of my bullets to fine tune them, as I am sure some of you will know the .204 rugers seem to have a very long throat, the best I can seem to do is 0.024 off the lands but this is only leaving 0.070 of the bullet in the case, is this enough or should I seat them a bit deeper? I have been seating them deeper but I want to try and see as I think she can still shoot better, I like this calibre but its very irritating as you cant get any bullets near the lands, a 35g beregr hasnt a hope in hell you would be about 0.040 off the lands just to get in in the case and a 40g berger isnt much better even though its longer as it has a boat tail, also chamber length is massive I made up a chamber guage today as I had been just skimming my cases in the case trimmer and decided to get an actuall figure, I need not have botherd as my chamber came in at 1.867 and my brass is only 1.840, I am thinking maybe if I stop trimming for a while it might grow a bit but would it grow that much I would be happy if it was 0.010 off the full length? it seems that the fault lies with brass more than anything as it comes through at 1.840 if it had a longer neck say 1.855 you would have a bit more leway with bullet seating, anyhow back to my original question will only 0.070 of the bullet in the case neck be ok?

can anybody tell me if 0.070 of the bullet in the case is enough?Before I go to the range to test them?

Guest rogern

I had the same prob with my Howa .204

I reload 32 grn Vmax and seat them as long as I can and have settled on 50% of the bullet diameter.

People talk about the recommended minimum seating depth for all bullets is at least the diameter of the bullet but mine seem ok and shoot well.

I just treat them with care so as not to alter the depth inadvertantly.

Its impossible in my rifle to get the bullet anywhere near the lands and my homeloads are much longer than the factory Hornady which also soot very well.

Regards

I was checking some factory stuff I still have left and with the bullet comparator it doenst even measure them it slips right down too the case neck so they are seated way below the ogive of the bullet, they must be about 0.060 off the lands at the very least! Why the hell are they so long throated it makes no sense! In the case of half the diameter of the bullet mine are .030 off that, if I do that then I am going to be about 0.055 off the lands! I want it 0.005 of the lands, no chance!

Guest rogern

In my Howa I very quickly worked it out that if I could get the bullet to touch the lands, it would not be in the case and even if it was in the case it wouldnt fit in the mag!!!!

What sort of accuracy are you getting?I havent been loading very long(just under 2yrs)but was also taught the min.seating depth at least cal of bullet.I have a 6.5x55 which is a calibre notorious for having a long throat.Short varmnt style bullets are therefore impossible to get anywhere near the lands but still produce excellent accuracy.COL lengths vary from 71-78mm.(obviously with different types of bullet!)The other thing that I was taught is that like people,all rifles are different and prefer different bullets,powders,loads,seating depths etc.This is what makes handloading such a cool hobby!

have a look at my other posts, expecialy neck v full length topic

also ......my long range gun I use to shoot bunnies 800+ are seated at saami length, not out near the lands

cant get any where near the lands in this gun, the bullet would be 10mm or so out of the neck

others on here who have seen me shoot or shot this gun will tell you about its accuracy ;) she often shoots sub .25 moa and rarely above .5

Craigyboy,

I have been on the quest to find the correct seating depth with my .204 (which has a chamber, if my memory serves me right 1.868' measured with sinclair's .204 gages) for a long while now. What my findings are at the moment that 32gn VMax bullets like to seat at 2.010' (which is as close to the lands as I can get them and make them so they fit the magazine), Berger 35MEFs I seat at 1.987' (longer or shorter opens up the group-but I am still experimenting with this one) and most peculiarly, both 40gn VMax and 39Bltzkngs I found that the best seating depth is way down: 1.880 or 1.890. Go figure...

Reading Small Calibre News (which I wholeheartedly recommend) I found that there is a .204Ruger match reamer which offers a lot shorter throat than the current one (which seems both our guns have been cut with). At the moment I am managing .3-.5 inch groups with the 32gns and .75-1 inch groups with the heavier bullets. I am trying some new loads with VihtN135 and RL10x which I am hoping may up the speed and close the groups somewhat. Once I have them shot I shall let you know.

I would be grateful if you could share your findings with the seating depth.

best wishes,

Finman

I cant remember seating depths off hand finman but ill look them up and let you know.

Archived