Barrel conditioning

BobSki

Hi guys,

I have a new rifle with 32” Bartlein SS barrel.

I have a small amount of Vihtavuori N560 and some old prvipartizan 168 gr HPBT. I don’t intend to use either the bullets or powder for regular shooting BUT I was wondering if I could shoot them off during the shoot 1 clean 1 etc. Barrel conditioning routine.

What say you?

Yes, could do that too, which I suppose would make more sense.

I have quite a bit of Vihtavuori N150 and some HBC 155gr bullets which I will shoot for a while, then, depending on what I learn in the next few months and at the F-Class course Mick is running in Feb next year, will probably change to RS powder and something like Sierra MK or TMK bullets. Because of the impending change of powder/projectile I thought I might as well use up some of the crap bullets and powder on the running in process.

LOL Your not the first to say that Mark ? but the Bartlein folks do suggest it ought to be done. But, then again, I suppose they would, wouldn’t they. LOL

The other problem I have is that I don’t have a bipod for it. I have a joypod on order but that’s not going to be available until October ? I could sort out a back bag easily enough. Bloody typical really. I ordered the Gun and Mick got it sorted in just ove a week. I put in my variation and Northants Police got it turned round in 2 days, everything was going so well, then it came to ordering the bipod for it and I have to wait 2 bloody months ? so getting to shoot the thing is becoming frustrating LOL

9 minutes ago, BobSki said:

The other problem I have is that I don’t have a bipod for it. 

That’s not a problem, that’s a blessing

You should shoot it sans Ladypod....as the good Lord intended

2 hours ago, BobSki said:

Yes, could do that too, which I suppose would make more sense.

I have quite a bit of Vihtavuori N150 and some HBC 155gr bullets which I will shoot for a while, then, depending on what I learn in the next few months and at the F-Class course Mick is running in Feb next year, will probably change to RS powder and something like Sierra MK or TMK bullets. Because of the impending change of powder/projectile I thought I might as well use up some of the crap bullets and powder on the running in process.

Or why not sell the consumables you don't intend to use, buy the stuff you do plan to use and get on developing a load that you plan to use for the future.

IMHO there's no point running a barrel in and doing some load dev only to then switch components and start all over again.

Congratulations on your purchase Bob. 

So you went for a brand new Mik Mak build rather than the one we discussed at Kingsbury. You had a good choice either way.

Run the new barrel in. You’ll have peace of mind if nothing else. It’s probably the most talked about subject in shooting and no one has proved it’s detrimental either way. I don’t know anyone in the FTR world who doesn’t run a new barrel in, so that says something. After all, it’s only 32 rounds and doesn’t take long.

Furrybean (Dan) and Catch are right IMHO. Use the load you intend using going forward and get some idea of how that new rifle is going to shoot. N150 and the 155 HBC bullet is a good choice.

You will love the Joypod when it arrives. You’ll see more if those than any other at any F Class comp. You can use a temporary rest of some sorts until it arrives but trying to shoot without one in the F Class world is not a sensible option. The weight of the rifle tells you this.

I’m not at Kingsbury on the 9th but will be at the shoot after that. If your joypod hasn’t arrived by then I’ll bring my Dolphin bipod for you to use for the day.

Hi Brillo,

Yes, the new Mik Mak build was more to my liking. I had to compromise on the stock though, as I love wooden stocks and would have gone for a Joe West oiled and polished but that was another £700 on top and I couldn’t afford that.

I had originally ordered the Dolphin FTR stock with the LONG front end, the one with 5 slots along it However, when I collected the rifle, it was in the SHORT stock (only 3 slots). When I asked Mik why, he said the longer front ends were not stable enough. So, Ok, I settled for the short version. I’m sure it will be fine.

I will be at Bisley on the 9th getting ready for the Police UK championships which will run until 15th. I hope to watch some of the team F-Class match on the Sunday Morning.

I was thinking of using the HBC 155 bullet for 3,5 and 600yds and a 178gr Berger or SMK/TMK for the longer ranges.

Your offer of lending me a bipod is lovely thank you and I would very much appreciate that.

All the best

Bob

Archived