looking for help

25dynod

i normally shoot my Stolle Panda 6.5-284 in 1000 yd bench rest. for some reason i find that my first round of 5 bullets is usually a good group but as i shoot my next 3 rounds my grouping start to get larger. i take great care loading my rounds and regularly clean my rifle before any competition so i do not think it is either my rifle or my bullets. i have just set up my savage 6br and while shooting it on Sunday found my groupings were the same. first group was really good but the next 3 were progressively increasing. first group on Sunday was 6.653" with the other three steadily increasing until the last round which was 15.433". 

i have a feeling it is a fault with me. either the way i hold the rifle or maybe the way i shoot so i am open to any constructive suggestions as to what the problem might be. i do not grip the stock but i keep my thumb on the trigger finger side of the stock. i use the same Seb rest and back bag for both rifles. both rifles are zeroed at 100yds and are very good groups. i have a Nightforce on the SP and a Sightron on the Savage.

the Stolle Panda has probably fired around 800-900 rounds and the Savage is new and has only fired about 150rounds.

As i said i am looking for some suggestions as to why this is happening so if you have any constructive ideas then please let me know.

davie

Hi Davie. If feasible one of the best ways of taking it being something you're doing out of the equation would be to let another competent shooter use your rifles using your kit. If it does it for them then it's something to do with the set up/kit and not you. Flip side is that if it doesn't then it's something you're doing, but at least you'll know and if it is you then others can watch you as you shoot to see if they can spot something obvious.

Without knowing the rifles specifically (or anything about BR setups). The only thing that springs to mind when seeing something like this is either user (+1 for Panda's suggestion) or what barrels do you have on them? If they're ultra light barrels designed for stalking you may be getting thermal effects.

Hi have you tried using a chrono to measure any change in speed between groups?you might find the barely are retaining heat especially with the hot weather we've had of late.

what loads are you using?

It might be helpful to identify the group shape as this is supposed to be a good way to diagnose shooter error (if present and consistent). There are several types online but Check out thlr shooter error cards as an example.

If the chronographing shows consistent MVs with low Es and SD I guess you should be able to diagnose the issue. As with all things though, only change one thing at a time! 

thanks for the replies and i will take your suggestions on board. i have now bought a cooler for the barrel and will try cooling the barrel between relays, if that doesn't help i will try cleaning between each relay.

Rem, barrels are target barrels and are much heavier than stalking barrels.

i have a magneto chrono and will check out the speeds to see the differences between the bullets in both calibers.

i am going to Diggle this weekend so i will try and watch how i hold the rifle and try to get somebody to watch me.

thanks,

davie

Davie -  most of us who shoot competitive 1000 yard benchrest have a half MOA gun which will shoot 5 or 6 inch groups when everything goes right. 

That means a clean but fouled barrel,  faultless gun handling and a 'kind' wind.  If those three things don't align then groups will grow!

If you've had 900 rounds down the 6.5-284, I would suspect you'll have some serious fire-cracking - which you may get away with when the barrel is clean but will severely foul and copper-up as the shoot progresses.

Have you had a borescope up it?  If not, I can bring mine along at weekend.

Vince

thanks Vince. i have a bore scope and will check it and post some pics. i honestly think it is the nut behind the gun rather than the rifle as both are doing the same thing and the shooter is the common factor. the 6.5-284 shot a terrific group a couple of months go at Gelston, 4 shots in 1.5"(37mm) group but one was a flyer at 8". i don't know which of the 5 shots was the flyer but boy was i disappointed. some one suggested getting another shooter to watch me as i shoot to see where i am making mistakes.

cheers,

davie

hi Vince, i think you are spot on with the 6.5-284. here are a couple of snaps from the bore cam. is that fire-cracking? if it is, it looks quite bad and i probably need  to get it rebarrelled soon.

Davie

PICT0023.JPG

PICT0025.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

will be there on Friday Vince about 4pm or 5pm depending on the traffic as i intend to shoot the 100yd BR on the Saturday and the 1000yd BR on the Sunday. i guess it will be a rebarrelling job then. if it is what barrel would you recommend but still keeping it as a 6.5-284. i am not sure how  go about rebarrelling a rifle and could use some advice if you could advise me what i need to do.

cheers,

Davie

Archived