Long Range at Eskdalemuir 2 Miles!

We have a 2 mile range at Eskdalemuir in the Scottish Borders, only 20-30 mins from the M74 from south or north, approx 1 hour north of Carlisle. Targets every 100m out to 1 mile, then every 200m out to 2 miles. Club membership available, alternatively the range can be booked exclusively for outside club/ trade or demo purposes. Call Marc on 07765888206 or Helen on 07890527648

range picture.jpg

1 hour ago, samuel said:

Can individuals book time on the range, if so would you need target shooting on your certificate or would zeroing be acceptable ? Thanks 

Im afraid that without actually joining our club you are unable to shoot on just a 'zeroing' basis on the 2 mile range at Eskdalemuir, however we do have a 100yard range nearby at Longtown which has Zeroing facilities. 

15 minutes ago, phaedra1106uk said:

Hi Mark :)  slightly confused by the above reply about having to join the club to shoot there.  My friend shot with you at Eskdalemuir last weekend along with other shooters from the Pigeon Watch forum, he didn't have to join your club to shoot there.

Hi, if you are booked in as an outside visiting club to use the range then you do not need to be a member of Gardner’s Gun Range Club, you are using the facility under your own club regs, however if you wish to use the range as an individual, ie on your own without your own club being responsible for a group booking then you do have to be a member of our club? I hope that makes sense? This only applies to the big range at Eskdalemuir, the shorter range at Longtown has specific Zeroing facilities for individual use without membership. 

Can I ask why an individual with, say, full NRA membership with it's included liability insurance and a valid HME competence cert., has to join your club to shoot at 2 miles?

Re-Pete

1 hour ago, Re-Pete said:

Can I ask why an individual with, say, full NRA membership with it's included liability insurance and a valid HME competence cert., has to join your club to shoot at 2 miles?

Re-Pete

It’s a little bit more involved than just what the owner decides... the club which operates the range is controlled by the rules and regulations of its constitution which is drawn up under the guidelines and approval of the local Firearms dept. Ultimately who uses the range and how is strictly monitored by the Police. Which is what you would expect when dealing with Furearms and their use? 

It would be good to have a range like this where an individual could book and shoot as it would suit some to do this once or twice a year but I understand the regulations you operate under and it is sounds straight forward.

What does it cost to join? 

On 8/3/2018 at 11:05 PM, Gluv said:

I'm off to Eskdale later this month for the second time. It is an excellent facility and very well run 

Gluv

+1 for Marc's range - a lot of effort has been put into a great facility.  Everyone is friendly and you get a warm welcome after a long drive.

15 minutes ago, gazzarM1 said:

On another note, coming up again soon.....a most enjoyable facility ,one question though where is the closest place to pick up a decent brekky on the way in ?

The best spot is probably The Hub at Eskdalemuir (DG130QJ) which is on route and near to the range!! 

On 8/5/2018 at 5:50 PM, Leadwasp said:

+1 for Marc's range - a lot of effort has been put into a great facility.  Everyone is friendly and you get a warm welcome after a long drive.

When you up next furgy ? 

17 hours ago, gazzarM1 said:

On another note, coming up again soon.....a most enjoyable facility ,one question though where is the closest place to pick up a decent brekky on the way in ?

Or there is always the all you can eat breakfast buffet from toby's carvery, carlisle junction 43 M6.  

Sounds to be an amazing facility.

Out of no more than idle fascination (since, less for MBTs, you're at indirect fire distances, to my brain!) :

• What's the size of the target at 2 miles?  - must be hard to see, let alone hit!
  • What sort of kit (particularly optics) are people using?
  • What sort of groups are being achieved?

On 8/3/2018 at 2:28 PM, Marc Gardner said:

.....who uses the range and how is strictly monitored by the Police. Which is what you would expect when dealing with Furearms and their use? 

Don't they have criminals to apprehend?? ?

Sounds nice. We have a 1 mile range set up out in the country and that's a challenge! I'm thinking only the 338 LAP / Cheytac (specialty)  crowd is doing more than wasting rounds shooting at 2 miles. And yes. How big (are the ) target (s)??~Andrew

On 8/12/2018 at 11:15 AM, brown dog said:

Sounds to be an amazing facility.

Out of no more than idle fascination (since, less for MBTs, you're at indirect fire distances, to my brain!) :

• What's the size of the target at 2 miles?  - must be hard to see, let alone hit!
  • What sort of kit (particularly optics) are people using?
  • What sort of groups are being achieved?

Lol!

The target at 1.5m and 2 mile is an 8' x 4' steel board, so 'Barn door and Banjo' springs to mind....

100 yds to 1000 yds there are 3 circular targets at each point, 20", 10" and 5"

At 1 mile we have a 5' circle with 18" Bullseye (Nicknamed the Little Baastard) 

Kit wise, we have guys turning up with all sorts! Predominantly though for anything over 1 mile it needs to be a .338 or bigger, although we did have a shooter at the Open Day this weekend who landed a shot on the 1 mile target with a Savage 6.5 Creedmore?

Scope wise, the usual culprits, Nightforce, Schmitt, Bushnell etc but with a mag of at least x25

The most vital equipment for shooting out to that range though is elevation, you need to be 30MOA in the rail or adjustable MOA on the mounting system? (just giving away trade secrets here....)

And not forgetting the brass of course, factory ammo is o-k-ish out to 1 mile but any further and you have to start experimenting with home loads.... but thats another story for another day ;)

Marc, 

do you have any reactive targets 

Hostage, swingers, etc.....

Archived