Entry level semi auto

Beretta 391 s/h, will hold some money if you want to upgrade later and very reliable imo. Also if you did need any parts for it they are readily available. Unless you really need 3" mag, a clean Remington 1100 would also be a good choice, and probably leave you with enough change for 1000 cartridges.

Armsan. Don't lump them into the same bracket as Hatsans, I believe they're effectively a Beretta knock-off. I've had one for a year or so and although only used occasionally it handles well, cycles 24gm and upwards flawlessly, is easy to maintain and appears solid. It's currently for sale though as I'm after a 45-70 and don't have cabinet space and don't want to put another in, I already have enough clutter everywhere else.

Seriously, for the money they're excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Used Beretta. I like the A390 and AL390, but you won't go far wrong with any of the '300 series' shotguns. They are amazingly reliable. Customer support was very good and supplied parts quickly through a Beretta dealer, although I'm not sure Beretta still offer parts for the really early models (they may).

For your budget Armsan all day long.

The Rem 1100’s are not a wise choice these days due to parts availability. 

I cant get over how good the Armsans are for the money and if you buy one second hand you will have plenty of change out of £500.

Archived