Tikka T3x prone to rusting?

This is my tikka t3 tac a1 in .223  after about 300 rounds down the tube its a 16 months old... To say in disgusted to have found it is an understatement. The rifle only left the house about 5 times and was cleaned regularly. The gun has now been sent back to the supplier for warranty but am skeptical on to whats going to happen.. the pitting starts at the chamber and disappears as you get to about 4 - 6 inches from the crown.. anyone have any ideas to what might be causing it? i have a sako trg in the same safe with no issues and its fired about 3000 rounds i know the trg is chrome lined. 

IMG-20200609-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20200609-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20200609-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20200609-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20200609-WA0007.jpg

Did you check the bore before firing it for the first time? It looks very much like a faulty new barrel a colleague showed me a couple of years ago..........it was returned.

Maybe a faulty billet was used to pull the original blank.......it looks a bit extreme for rust in such a short time, and you would have noticed it when cleaning before it got this bad.

Pete

31 minutes ago, Lloyd said:

Unfortunately I didn't check it i only bought a bore scope last week for condition monitoring purposes and so id know when the gun was clean and discovered this. Gun dealer is sending it back to GMK in the UK so their smith can look at it... He advised me it could take a few months before i get it back. 

Never had an issue with mine and it's been out in rain, hail and snow!

I always ensure after every outing that it's cleaned down and lightly oiled and have had zero issues with rust anywhere in the few years I've owned it.  I use Wipeout patch out tactical for barrel cleaning and the bore's absolutely pristine. Whilst that does have a barrel conditioner (rust inhibitor) if storing mine for more than a few weelks I will put an oily patch down the barrel and ensure it's cleaned out and the chamber especially cleaned (de-greased using meths) and dried  before use.

On 6/16/2020 at 12:23 AM, Lloyd said:

This is my tikka t3 tac a1 in .223  after about 300 rounds down the tube its a 16 months old... To say in disgusted to have found it is an understatement. The rifle only left the house about 5 times and was cleaned regularly. ..

IMG-20200609-WA0003.jpg

That I'm afraid to say bears all the hallmarks of corrosion that has occurred under areas of heavy (mainly carbon) fouling. There is also copper streaking so I'd suggest your cleaning needed to be far more aggressive. Be interested to hear what the agent has to say.

25 minutes ago, Chris-NZ said:

That I'm afraid to say bears all the hallmarks of corrosion that has occurred under areas of heavy (mainly carbon) fouling. There is also copper streaking so I'd suggest your cleaning needed to be far more aggressive. Be interested to hear what the agent has to say.

After less than 300 rounds down the tube I originally over estimated in my first post and I'd say it's closer to 200 rounds down the tube of a new barrel.  so how if you say carbon fouling after 2-3 hundred rounds cause that much carbon fouling? Gun is stored in a small room with 2 dehumidifiers 

I had a tikka stainless action and barrel go rusty.. sent it back and it was bead blasted again and it was ok after that..

I still use the action as its my 284 now.. originally was 25-06 off the peg..

On the other thread (he started) - lloyd outlined his cleaning method,  I was just thinking we're going over the same ground again  - not a problem just confusing my little brain 

On 8/23/2018 at 4:22 PM, VarmLR said:

There's a better and slightly cheaper alternative to acf, Chaz,  calledXCP Professional Rust Blocker. In tests, it outperforms just about anything else on the market for rust prevention and is safe to use on firearms.  I use it for liberally coating the underside of my SUV to prevent our winter salt laden roads corroding the sub frame and suspension arms.  I've found that on vehicles, you can get away with one aplicatrion every 3 to 4 months and it keeps things minty.  Around £14 a can I think.  ACF50 I used on my bikes and firearms until I discovered XCP.  Don't use it in the bore though!

xcp_rust-blocker_montage.jpg

Does anybody actually use this on rifles? I bought some to try and it really stinks. Fortunately I have tried it out on some tools in the garage first.

How long does it take to dry off? It's been 7 hours and the tools are still wet and smelly.

Some of the best oils for protecting the bore against rusting is either CorosionX or Eezox.

Ive read & seen on YouTube several different tests by numerous people and these two oils consistently come out on top.

I like CorosionX because it’s all natural ingredients, so isn’t harmful to your skin etc. I’ve used CorosionX for years and think it’s an excellent product. Smells nice too!

https://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2020 at 5:24 PM, rhogg4798 said:

Does anybody actually use this on rifles? I bought some to try and it really stinks. Fortunately I have tried it out on some tools in the garage first.

How long does it take to dry off? It's been 7 hours and the tools are still wet and smelly.

Old thread, but worth an update. I've been using XCP to protect all my rifles in some occasionally fairly damp conditions, and some are in long term storage so dont get shot very often, as a result I havent had any issues with corrosion whatsoever. Best investment in a long while. Just wipe the bore out with a light solvent before shooting.

• 4 months later...