Better problems to have

ColinBR

Hi guys

I’m looking at buying a .22lr bolt action rifle, and I am weighing up my options. 

Currently I use an Anschutz semi auto MSR, and also my dads CZ 452 silhouette. (Both of which are great shooters, with only the trigger on the MSR letting it down)

I’m toying with the idea of buying another CZ 452 and dropping it into a custom stock and making it my own rifle (having it set exactly for me with the custom stock), or buying the likes of a Anschutz 1710 and relishing in the quality and inherent accuracy built in. 

Both would work out to be around the same price, with the 1710 being secondhand, and by the time I bought a 452 and custom stock.

The use would be mostly indoor shooting at 25 yards, but will also be looking into bunny bashing when I get the chance. 

Anyone have any thoughts on the above?

Thanks

Given the price you’ll be paying, here’s a couple of “food for thought” options: A Lithgow LA101- beautifully made, great trigger, in a synthetic stock with a semi-tactical feel to it, midweight barrel  

A CZ 452 tactical trainer. More a target platform, heavy barrel, synthetic stock with a real tactical feel. 

CZ 452 Laminate. 

6 minutes ago, NSAC said:

Given the price you’ll be paying, here’s a couple of “food for thought” options: A Lithgow LA101- beautifully made, great trigger, in a synthetic stock with a semi-tactical feel to it, midweight barrel  

A CZ 452 tactical trainer. More a target platform, heavy barrel, synthetic stock with a real tactical feel. 

CZ 452 Laminate. 

Food for thought yes. I had a look at the Lithgow and look like a cracking rifle and shoots well. 

I was originally going to go for a Tikka T1x when it eventually comes out.

The reason I thought about going down the custom stock route is that I could pick up a 452 and then have the adjustability to have the rifle how I like it for not much more money than a standard T1x would be. 

9 hours ago, palo said:

If it were me I'd buy a tikka t1x and get an aftermarket stock or custom one for it. Any stock designed for a tikka t3 that uses the standard trigger guard will fit. 

I was planning on going the route of the T1x and also then getting a T3x for range shooting (using the T1x as a trainer) but having thought about it I can’t really justify a centrefire rifle for just now as I spend most of my weekends on my motorbike, and wouldn’t get the use out of a centrefire. 

5 hours ago, fizzbangwhallop said:

There was a Finnfire Range for sale on one of the forums a few weeks ago for £750....... excellent pedigree rifles known for their accuracy that won’t lose value...

found it.....

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/375966-sako -finnfire-range-mk1-22-lr/?tab=comments#comment-3433884

Nice rifle that and no doubt a cracking shooter. Looks very much like a Anschutz target rifle though which my dad has. Looking for something a little more modern. 

• 4 months later...

Well finally bought a new rifle. 

Was all for getting the new Tikka T1x and seen 1 for sale locally that I was going to pop in for a look-see. 

But had a quick squint on guntrader to see what else was in that sort of price range and came across a CZ455 precision trainer which comes with a Manners T4 stock and heavy varmint barrel. 

Best price I had seen new for these was around £760 and this was up for £495 brand new. So quick look at the reviews and next day deposit was paid. 

Got the rifle yesterday and then fitted it with a cheap scope I had laying around till I get something decent and added a lighter trigger spring and bipod. 

Managed to get to the local club tonight to see how it shot and after 4 shots to zero the scope it's by far the most accurate rifle I've shot even with the barrel not even settled in yet. Put a group of 10 shots all touching and within 0.2" (25 yards so not exactly pushing it) without trying hard.

This was with different ammo. Some cheap American eagle 40 grain and also some Remington T22 (I think). Didn't even get a chance to try the eley club I usually use. 

Really excited to see what it can really do once the barrel has been shot in and I stick a decent scope and bipod on it. 

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Can you get new 452's in the UK? They are about gone here.~Andrew

I don't think you can here unless it's new old stock.

I know you could still get the 452 in left hand version for a while after the 455 came out, but not sure if that's still the case. 

On 12/8/2018 at 1:26 AM, Andrew said:

Can you get new 452's in the UK? They are about gone here.~Andrew

Cartridge shooting ground liskeard in Cornwall has new 452 listed on website  rh/ lh 17hmr and. 22 -new old stock so probably the last ones 

I have a couple of 452s that I shoot and one 452 "American" sitting unfired in the box the last 12 years because my cousin in Scotland bet I'd have it shot out in a week.  I have a number of #2 Brno's that I like as well.  I like the 452 more than the 455 by a long margin.~Andrew

By favorite rimfires are the Annie 54s & the Sako P94S Finnfire , I was about to buy a new Tikka 22lr , when a mint Annie 1422 & a mint P94S was for sale , so I brought them instead , real HAPPY .

I also have a Brno model 2 , its nice , never cared for the new 455 , and see its being replaced by the 457 , probably the simlar , in which case I will not be buying one , just will look for second hand 452 & model 2s , if I get the urge to get more CZ/Brno's etc .

4 hours ago, swiftur said:

I had a cz 452, [with trigger kit] loved it.just replaced it with a t1x,there is no comparison the t1x wins hands down.

...which is why I put the names of my grandchildren on tags and attached them to my better CZ/Brnos. I will be hunting with the Tikka from now on.

I ran some Norma Sub Sonic HP through my T1x the other day. At 50M I'd get three or four in one hole and always one or two out. No groups bigger than 9/16 inch and that's OK as it's hunting ammo. To double check that it wasn't shooter error i ran Federal Ultra Match. A 1.5 bullet diameter hole for five shots. Wish that stuff wasn't $13.00 for 50.......~Andrew

Archived