Couldn't resist.

As if I don't have enough watches already...my everyday seiko quartz has given up the ghost after 9 years so I wanted to replace it, and saw this:

5530091__29702.1343520925.1280.1280.jpg?5530090__00248.1343520925.1280.1280.jpg?

It's now joined my other Seikos and will be the daily timepiece.  It's the SNZGOK91 Military model (auto movement) using the 7S36 movement for you watch nerds.  Not perhaps as accurate as a quartz movement, but who cares. This movement is no longer used in the higher end divers or military series watches as it was replaced after 20 years with a later variant that hacks and can be wound and is a little more consistent on time keeping.  This model has been discounted by over £100 as a result.  Truth is, it'll be every bit as durable but you only really lose the ability to kick start it by winding it (I have the later movement on one of my other Seikos and it keeps no better time).  Grab 'em while the grabbing's good!

Currently less than half price in the UK (RRP is close on £264).  Amazon had some going for £96 and there's a German website that had them for £139...two of the cheapest prices I've seen for them. There are similar Seiko 5 watches going for quite a lot less though.  The range is a bit confusing as some that look similar can be picked up from £70 or so, rising to £280 for others in the range depending on casing and bezel and strap (they all use one of three movements which themselves are very similar).

Thanks Chaz...just got fed up with quartz watches as they seem a little too disposable these days. I've gone through a few in the past 10 years and come to the conclusion that it's far better to buy cheap (and here I mean sub £15) quartz everyday watches and if spending a reasonable amount, direct it at a decent mechanical watch. Only needs a clean and readjustment every 5 to 10 years and should last me the rest of my life.

I have the Seiko 5 model as my “not at work” watch. It’s a great bit of kit and I found it on eBay for £55 about a year ago. Really recommend them but if you can, go for the SNZG model as the 5 is not waterproof which irritates me more than it should, but at the price I got a bargain!

Some 5's are waterproof such as the SNZG model above which is waterproof to 10 ATM...it all depends on the case model you go for.  My other 7S26 watch is only 5ATM water resistant.  The case and strap determine the cost of the 5's which vary enormously in cost.  As mentioned, RRP on the above is £264 but you can pick up a new "5" in a lower model for almost a third of that, or (like me) get lucky and find a discounted 7S36 model like the above SNZG.  

The 5 above is very well regulated.  Astonishingly for an auto, measured over several days, it's only gained 2 seconds!  That betters some of the others I've had considerably, including an Omega SeaMaster Aqua Terra (now gone...common sense prevailed!).

All the claims that the new movement is somehow better have yet to be proved as the 7S26 & 36 have been some of the most robust and reliable movements Seiko have manufactured and if you're lucky enough to get such a well regulated one it makes you wonder "why pay more?" for any auto.

• 1 month later...

I’d pick up Seiko 5 sports 200 metre Kinetic watch some months ago , with broken stainless steel strap for £30.00 . RRP £350.00 put new strap on and changed seiko deploy catch over onto new strap. Looks great.

have you thoughts of having a new movement in the watch that given up? 

• 1 month later...

I haven't bothered Nick as despite the watch being expensive enough when new (£240), it seems daft to invest in a new quartz movement for it when I can pick up a new quartz work watch for under a tenner (my current work watch having cost me the princely sum of £7).  I have a few of these Seiko 5 watches and like them, so happy with what I have.

Got one of these for £90...........can also be used as a rudimentary cestus if some scallywag tries mugging you............

https://www.invictawatch.com/watches/detail/8926-invicta-pro-diver-men-40mm-stainless-steel-stainless-steel-black-dial-nh35a-automatic

Re-Pete

Archived