What 6.5 bullet for. 260

• 2 months later...
On 8/12/2018 at 9:44 PM, Catch-22 said:

The 140g Hornady ELD X would be a great all round bullet for both target and culling. However all of Hornadys bullets are now crazy silly $$$. 

If you don't want to be splashing out on the ELD x you might consider having two loads. Use the ELD x (or SST as noted by another poster, which is an excellent hunting bullet) for culling and use something like the much cheaper but equally excellent 139g Scenar for long range gong bashing.

Only crazy silly thanks to Edgar's, just buy the from the other EU countries, last lot of 500 I bought I saved over £100, even with the postage. 

2 hours ago, Mick Miller said:

Only crazy silly thanks to Edgar's, just buy the from the other EU countries, last lot of 500 I bought I saved over £100, even with the postage. 

Tell me about it. It'll be the importers and distributors who will price most shooters out of the sport IMHO.

Ive not bought bullets from a UK distributor for years due to the insane markups imposed. Funny that only just across the channel prices are considerably cheaper than than here, even when all taxes and shipping are paid as you note.

Interestingly I saw various stores in the US having end of year clear outs. For example  Lapua Scenar 185g .30 cal going for $25/£19 a box, or 139g 6.5mm for $28/£22 a box. You'd NEVER, EVER, EVER see that in the UK. I know we don't have the volume of shooters here but even so...UK prices are a joke!

petesv said :  "123gr lapua scenars in 260 rem & 6.5 creedmoor the dogs do dars "............add 6.5x47 Lap to that and maybe get them here: http://www.ballisticservice24.eu/lapua-2/

Currently 281 euro's/1000- plus shipping or from Foxfirearms oop norf, around £290/1000 + £9 shipping, I think......

Re-Pete

2 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

Tell me about it. It'll be the importers and distributors who will price most shooters out of the sport IMHO.

Ive not bought bullets from a UK distributor for years due to the insane markups imposed. Funny that only just across the channel prices are considerably cheaper than than here, even when all taxes and shipping are paid as you note.

Interestingly I saw various stores in the US having end of year clear outs. For example  Lapua Scenar 185g .30 cal going for $25/£19 a box, or 139g 6.5mm for $28/£22 a box. You'd NEVER, EVER, EVER see that in the UK. I know we don't have the volume of shooters here but even so...UK prices are a joke!

Bullet prices are a minor irritant in the grand scheme of things, while they may be cheaper across Le Channel, our French colleagues are paying 1.42/litre for petrol,  and you use a lot more fuel than you do bullets....so where would you rather be?

You can always don a Gilet Jaune and have a riot over the price of Hollow-points, you never know it might work 🤣

• 1 year later...

Well its been a while since I started this thread but getting there, 1000 metres completed today, 3.5 inch group.

I am using Strelok and a weather metre, I attempted this last week and had 25 shots drop low, then remembered from the year before that on strelok you have to 'use zeroing weather' button, i didn't, when I realised and did, there was 6 clicks difference.

Today I used what the app said but it was low, even updating the app, so used previous sessions info and spot on and the results show. 

I have the Mile as the next challenge, wish me luck!.

DSC_0246.JPG

Great shooting!

When  you say that you had to use the "zeroing weather button" do you simply mean that you'd forgotten to enter the weather data for you're initial zeroing session?  I just enter the measured velocity and distance and weather when I zero.  Strelok,  I thought, then adjusted for current weather (ie you zero at 15 degrees, set the MV and then enter current weather and it corrects accordingly).  I may have been using it wrongly though if what you're suggesting is at each session you push the "use zeroing weather" button.  I always update the MV for each session that I have the chrony so that Strelok can set the temperature sensitivity factor.