What 6.5 bullet for. 260

• 3 weeks later...

Try the 140 gr range, eld (x), Berger’s, scenar and Amax if you can find them. 

I’ve had better results with 140 than 130 but they are also worth a look.

The 140g Hornady ELD X would be a great all round bullet for both target and culling. However all of Hornadys bullets are now crazy silly $$$. 

If you don't want to be splashing out on the ELD x you might consider having two loads. Use the ELD x (or SST as noted by another poster, which is an excellent hunting bullet) for culling and use something like the much cheaper but equally excellent 139g Scenar for long range gong bashing.

12 hours ago, Ronin said:

What application - target or culling

I want to learn how to shoot it out to 1000mtrs and take the odd crow etc and longer ranges.

12 hours ago, Catch-22 said:

The 140g Hornady ELD X would be a great all round bullet for both target and culling. However all of Hornadys bullets are now crazy silly $$$. 

If you don't want to be splashing out on the ELD x you might consider having two loads. Use the ELD x (or SST as noted by another poster, which is an excellent hunting bullet) for culling and use something like the much cheaper but equally excellent 139g Scenar for long range gong bashing.

Have ordered some scenars from reloading Solutions but abit of a wait. Thanks for the heads up.

Target

139 Scenar

140 ELdm

142 / 140 SMK

Non inert

110 / 103 GS Custom

129 SST

143 ELDx

11 hours ago, Ronin said:

Target

139 Scenar

140 ELdm

142 / 140 SMK

Non inert

110 / 103 GS Custom

129 SST

143 ELDx

Thanks, I tried some 120 and 129grn think they were SST yesterday and grouping was an 1" at 100mtrs so nothing special. Trying 140 and 143 grn this afternoon ELD match and X hoping these are better.

I’ve found that the ELDX group adequately well along the lines of SMK in my 6.5x 284

Though no jacketed bullet performs as well as Gs customs offerings in my experience - I tend to use these 75% of the time as I have to use copper on several areas 

• 1 month later...

After all this time, I tested 139 scenars and my groups have significantly improved from moa to 0.25, interesting it really likes 40 grns of powder over 41grns. Anyway I was going to get rid if the scenars did not work as they were the last to try, so abit more testing with powder capacity and then to start using it.

1 hour ago, RAW said:

After all this time, I tested 139 scenars and my groups have significantly improved from moa to 0.25, interesting it really likes 40 grns of powder over 41grns. Anyway I was going to get rid if the scenars did not work as they were the last to try, so abit more testing with powder capacity and then to start using it.

What powder are you using..

At 40/41gn that sounds like N150  ??????

The 139 Scenar remains an excellent and dependable performer in the calibre as does the antediluvian 142gn Sierra MK and both cost a lot less than the newer designs. The new heavier Hornady ELDs have impressive form factors / BCs and this is backed by Bryan Litz's tests so isn't a case of OTT claims from the manufacturer as would almost certainly have been the case some years back. Price and availability though? Ouch!

We are also seeing a new generation of 'Super-VLDs' - impressive BCs, but at the expense of very long projectiles that are inherently less stable than older designs and which have 'aggressive' secant ogives ......... and when I say 'aggressive' I mean really aggressive, a much sharper transition than that of the original Berger VLDs of a generation ago. Some of these designs have to be the very devil to 'tune', albeit as always individual barrels and rifles will vary enormously in their tolerance or otherwise.

Another issue with these super long, super-VLD forms is that they don't suit the 260 well in magazine use as they end up seated so deeply in the case at the required 2.800-2.880" COALs demanded by magazine dimensions. No issue in suitably throated rifles in single-shot mode, but many people are buying or fancy PRS type rifles or that evergreen object of British shooter lust, whatever is the latest AI model. The shorter case 6.5 Creedmoor must be seeing 'issues' here too with the newest designs and probably only the yet shorter 6.5X47mm Lapua remains unaffected (but only if it has the 'freebore' to suit the longer bullet designs).

A couple of thoughts on alternatives. First for seriously COAL constrained set-ups especially with the 260, have a look at the 130gn Berger Tactical OTM AR-Hybrid. This is a superb design that combines good BC with a shorter nose to suit 2.8-inch COALs and the 'Hybrid' form ogive that allows it to be jumped considerable distances and yet stil perform well. They are unfortunately not plentiful on the market, and certainly not cheap - quite the reverse in fact! (Also many people say - I can't finds these bullets listed anywhere. The reason for this is that Berger has them in its small 'Tactical OTM' section not 'Target' and many people never look at this listing.)

Second, there is another older but superb design available which is well known to US 6.5mm aficionados, but I rarely if ever hear mentioned this side of the pond - the 140gn Berger Target BT Long Range. This is the 6.5 equivalent to the 185gn 308 'Juggernaut' - a long-nose tangent ogive and easy to tune bullet with a good but not exceptional BC. It also has a short bearing surface allowing it to be driven faster than many competitor designs within safe pressures. This is my favourite 6.5 long-range bullet for the 260 and 6.5X55mm. Again, they're not common largely because few handloaders here know of them never mind order them ........... and they don't conform to the common Hybriditis disease condition that is like an epidemic causing great wallet sickness. Being a Berger though (of any vintage or type) it's good but never cheap.

Lastly, do you have to have the highest possible BC design? .... or even one in the top half of the rankings? A lot of CSR type shooters like the 140gn Nosler Custom Competition and there are sources around for bulk buys from Europe at bargain prices if what is said on UKV is correct. Ah, but it's a blunt, 'low BC' bullet, surely? Yes, it is by 6.5 standards, but is way ahead of equivalent 308s and will remain supersonic at modest MVs to 1,000 yards. Sure, if you're competing seriously in long-range F-Class or similar, you want the best you can get and afford ........ but for occasional long-range or days on a Bisley electronic target on Stickledown. And at 300-800 yards most shooters won't notice a difference from the ELDs etc, especially as they are very easy to 'tune' and seem to suit most barrels. I used these old-fashioned bullets in a 1,000 yard BR comp a couple of summers back in an out of the box Savage 12 LRP with 26-inch barrel at a mere 2,710 fps MV (Creedmoor - this load with RS62 shot quarter to third inch at 100) and got a half-MOA group as best of four. (At a G7 BC of 0.281 from Litz, 2,710 fps MV saw an estimated 1,000 yard retained speed of 1,379 fps still comfortably above the transonic speed range on Diggle at nearly 1,000 ft ASL on a warm day.)

Your reply should be pinned Laurie. More sense talked in that post than has been posted on here in years.

The utter marketing bullshit published by the bullet makers beggars belief sometimes. They forget that that 99% of the market just want good results out of a magazine system.

My go to .260 bullet, is still the sierra SMK 140/142 grainers. They work.

Bergers ?

I think I've only ever bought one box . Yes, they are good. I only tend to function properly with two kidney's unfortunately.

Thought it was Roland rat in that pic :lol:

Laurie,

Concur re. The 130g Berger OTM’s, seem about spot on in my 6.5x47, not sensitive to ‘jump’ and achieiving consistent (not to silly) speeds using N140.

Think 130g is about  right in the 47, the longer cases, 260/creed, might gain with the 140g range of bullets, but 3000fps with the 130g OTM’s would be pretty nice :)

T

On 10/20/2018 at 12:24 PM, Laurie said:

At 40/41gn that sounds like N150  ??????

The 139 Scenar remains an excellent and dependable performer in the calibre as does the antediluvian 142gn Sierra MK and both cost a lot less than the newer designs. The new heavier Hornady ELDs have impressive form factors / BCs and this is backed by Bryan Litz's tests so isn't a case of OTT claims from the manufacturer as would almost certainly have been the case some years back. Price and availability though? Ouch!

We are also seeing a new generation of 'Super-VLDs' - impressive BCs, but at the expense of very long projectiles that are inherently less stable than older designs and which have 'aggressive' secant ogives ......... and when I say 'aggressive' I mean really aggressive, a much sharper transition than that of the original Berger VLDs of a generation ago. Some of these designs have to be the very devil to 'tune', albeit as always individual barrels and rifles will vary enormously in their tolerance or otherwise.

Another issue with these super long, super-VLD forms is that they don't suit the 260 well in magazine use as they end up seated so deeply in the case at the required 2.800-2.880" COALs demanded by magazine dimensions. No issue in suitably throated rifles in single-shot mode, but many people are buying or fancy PRS type rifles or that evergreen object of British shooter lust, whatever is the latest AI model. The shorter case 6.5 Creedmoor must be seeing 'issues' here too with the newest designs and probably only the yet shorter 6.5X47mm Lapua remains unaffected (but only if it has the 'freebore' to suit the longer bullet designs).

A couple of thoughts on alternatives. First for seriously COAL constrained set-ups especially with the 260, have a look at the 130gn Berger Tactical OTM AR-Hybrid. This is a superb design that combines good BC with a shorter nose to suit 2.8-inch COALs and the 'Hybrid' form ogive that allows it to be jumped considerable distances and yet stil perform well. They are unfortunately not plentiful on the market, and certainly not cheap - quite the reverse in fact! (Also many people say - I can't finds these bullets listed anywhere. The reason for this is that Berger has them in its small 'Tactical OTM' section not 'Target' and many people never look at this listing.)

Second, there is another older but superb design available which is well known to US 6.5mm aficionados, but I rarely if ever hear mentioned this side of the pond - the 140gn Berger Target BT Long Range. This is the 6.5 equivalent to the 185gn 308 'Juggernaut' - a long-nose tangent ogive and easy to tune bullet with a good but not exceptional BC. It also has a short bearing surface allowing it to be driven faster than many competitor designs within safe pressures. This is my favourite 6.5 long-range bullet for the 260 and 6.5X55mm. Again, they're not common largely because few handloaders here know of them never mind order them ........... and they don't conform to the common Hybriditis disease condition that is like an epidemic causing great wallet sickness. Being a Berger though (of any vintage or type) it's good but never cheap.

Lastly, do you have to have the highest possible BC design? .... or even one in the top half of the rankings? A lot of CSR type shooters like the 140gn Nosler Custom Competition and there are sources around for bulk buys from Europe at bargain prices if what is said on UKV is correct. Ah, but it's a blunt, 'low BC' bullet, surely? Yes, it is by 6.5 standards, but is way ahead of equivalent 308s and will remain supersonic at modest MVs to 1,000 yards. Sure, if you're competing seriously in long-range F-Class or similar, you want the best you can get and afford ........ but for occasional long-range or days on a Bisley electronic target on Stickledown. And at 300-800 yards most shooters won't notice a difference from the ELDs etc, especially as they are very easy to 'tune' and seem to suit most barrels. I used these old-fashioned bullets in a 1,000 yard BR comp a couple of summers back in an out of the box Savage 12 LRP with 26-inch barrel at a mere 2,710 fps MV (Creedmoor - this load with RS62 shot quarter to third inch at 100) and got a half-MOA group as best of four. (At a G7 BC of 0.281 from Litz, 2,710 fps MV saw an estimated 1,000 yard retained speed of 1,379 fps still comfortably above the transonic speed range on Diggle at nearly 1,000 ft ASL on a warm day.)

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for taking the time to give a indepth answer, I dont load, my friend does my home loading. I have done some retesting and have found that 42grns of powder is the most I can put through before the groups open up to moa. I will give reloading solutions a call about the bergers though tomorrow.

Many thanks

Richie