Hunter Specialties "Butt Out" tool: Worth £18?

Totally useless contraption. It takes longer to remove the rectum from the device than it does to gralloch the deer. I used to cull deer as part of a team and we'd take 30-40 a week, any supposed time saving devices like this were discussed and tested. this one  was discarded after first session.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Waste of time.

However I've a set of surgical forceps I use for trimming around the anus. They were given to me by a retired surgeon years ago and this is apparently the same technique used for bowel surgery in humans!! Getting hold of the anus, trimming around it and then withdrawing it slightly as you further release the bowel means it releases really easily once withdrawn the other way (including the bladder - handy if it's a full one!). I don't split the aitch bone, so find this is by far the cleanest way of removing the back end and keeps everything intact without need for knots or cable ties etc (or need to expose additional haunch meat to drying out).

I'm sure you'd be able to get a set on eBay these days...

6 hours ago, dashed said:

Waste of time.

However I've a set of surgical forceps I use for trimming around the anus. They were given to me by a retired surgeon years ago and this is apparently the same technique used for bowel surgery in humans!! Getting hold of the anus, trimming around it and then withdrawing it slightly as you further release the bowel means it releases really easily once withdrawn the other way (including the bladder - handy if it's a full one!). I don't split the aitch bone, so find this is by far the cleanest way of removing the back end and keeps everything intact without need for knots or cable ties etc (or need to expose additional haunch meat to drying out).

V. Interested to understand more of your technique.  Happy for it via PM thanks

8 hours ago, Orka Akinse said:

V. Interested to understand more of your technique.  Happy for it via PM thanks

14 hours ago, dashed said:

Waste of time.

I'd also like to know more

No problem - tricky to describe in words but I'll try!

1) I like a suspended gralloch (but also works lying down) so hang the beast and open up the stomach.

2) Locate the bowel and move any faeces away from the anus, back up towards the intestines etc. You want don't want a rectum that's stuffed full of poo!

3) Now move to the outside of the back end of the deer. Use forceps to pinch the skin either side of the anus.

4) Insert knife through skin  and cut a hole around the anus (and forceps which are still clamped either side of anus).

5) Withdraw the anus, trimming around the bowel / rectum as it withdraws from the body. You can also insert the knife into the pelvic cavity to free the bowel away from the body. Keep the knife facing away from the bowel so you don't nick it and don't worry about running it around the inner edges of the pelvic girdle - nothing in here you can damage.

6) You should be able to free up all the bowel as it goes through the pelvis and (making sure it's empty of faeces - see earlier!) pull it back into the body cavity and withdraw with the bladder and the rest of the guts. If you open the ribs you can actually gralloch the whole deer without cutting any part of the digestive tract so no risk of contamination.

Hopefully makes sense??

8 hours ago, dashed said:

No problem - tricky to describe in words but I'll try!

1) I like a suspended gralloch (but also works lying down) so hang the beast and open up the stomach.

2) Locate the bowel and move any faeces away from the anus, back up towards the intestines etc. You want don't want a rectum that's stuffed full of poo!

3) Now move to the outside of the back end of the deer. Use forceps to pinch the skin either side of the anus.

4) Insert knife through skin  and cut a hole around the anus (and forceps which are still clamped either side of anus).

5) Withdraw the anus, trimming around the bowel / rectum as it withdraws from the body. You can also insert the knife into the pelvic cavity to free the bowel away from the body. Keep the knife facing away from the bowel so you don't nick it and don't worry about running it around the inner edges of the pelvic girdle - nothing in here you can damage.

6) You should be able to free up all the bowel as it goes through the pelvis and (making sure it's empty of faeces - see earlier!) pull it back into the body cavity and withdraw with the bladder and the rest of the guts. If you open the ribs you can actually gralloch the whole deer without cutting any part of the digestive tract so no risk of contamination.

Hopefully makes sense??

Sound similar to the method demonstrated by Jelen deer on youtube, its how I do mine but without the forceps

8 hours ago, dashed said:

I've had a quick look on eBay for the type of forceps I've got and closest I can fine is "Babcocks forceps" but they're not quite the same. I'll take a couple of pics of them later and add to the thread...

These maybe

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-inch-Curved-Fishing-Forceps-Stainless-Hemostat-Locking-Clamps-Carp-Nice-UKP/273041795828?hash=item3f928f2af4:g:lWEAAOSw14xWJI~7

• 1 year later...
On 8/29/2018 at 9:05 PM, dashed said:

Just had a look at the Jelen video - yep, very similar to that but without need to go poking around in there with your fingers or change gloves etc.

Style of forceps below...

F3B4C7AA-23DB-4F77-8B07-2BC3EA668CCE.jpeg

7083A997-327F-413F-B9D8-AEECBD6DEA17.jpeg

D0D7BA58-3E89-4377-B5E1-FD2656C1D716.jpeg

Those look like a Lane  1 into 2 tissue forceps/clamp with box joint.

Not to be confused with Lane’s dissecting forceps nor Lane’s bone-holding forceps.

8 hours ago, Bangbangman said:

Those look like a Lane  1 into 2 tissue forceps/clamp with box joint.

l’d call that a big “Yes”:

https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/tissue-forceps/lane-tissue-forceps-with-1-into-2-teeth-and-box-joint-200mm.html

maximus otter