F class open rests

No i deer

Should I go for a SEB neo type front rest or a bipod with the joystick.not sure what the difference would be if there is any.hopefully l will get the opportunity to test them both.

Using a 7mm saum with your old mystic bipod and a rear bag GP.

I will be leaking a few shots as I am not 100 percent stable.

Explain why you think I could getaway with the joypod if I was using a 6mm.why not use a joypod on my saum....?

15 hours ago, No i deer said:

Ok Mark thanks.

Jeez that was a hard wind to shoot yesterday Mark.some did ok though.ridiculously hot

What attachment is on your SEB joypod.

I have a t slot rail

It’s a Picatinney fitting.

On 7/9/2018 at 5:27 PM, No i deer said:

Using a 7mm saum with your old mystic bipod and a rear bag GP.

I will be leaking a few shots as I am not 100 percent stable.

Explain why you think I could getaway with the joypod if I was using a 6mm.why not use a joypod on my saum....?

A 6mm is very light on recoil/torque and, although I have the option of a Seb NEO or Seb Mini, I prefer the Joypod. 

The last 'big' Open cartridge I shot in F Class was the 6.5mmWSM.  A big cartridge can torque a little in a front bag but with the Joypod the four tiny screws holding the PIc rail clamp started to pull out.

If it helps I'm thinking of selling my Seb Mini used for one weekend from new now replaced with the very heavy Seb Maxi which suits my 300wsm and me better.

ide be looking at £600 if your interested p/m me.And the front bags filled with some  special sand type material kindly donated by Garry Costello.

3 hours ago, No i deer said:

My set up I a t slot rail that is held on by several 6mm x 16mm torc screws

It's not the rail that pulled out (mine's machined into the aluminium stock) but the Joypod Pic rail clamp is held on by four 4mm socket-head screws into aluminium.

The pod needs beefing up then or screws loctited in place to stop any movement.the joypod seem ok and stand up the FTR 308s recoil/torc and definately feel it's more my type of rest.

Having not tried one I would still like to try before I buy.

What about the sandbag mat that goes with them.is it an advantage or a gimic....?

I just watched a video on YouTube with somebody using a 375 cheytac with a SEB joypod

Is there any difference inbetween the stability on taking the shot between the SEB neo the SEB mini and the SEB joypod.i guess the rifle moves around somewhat after every shot on all the rests or does the rifle settle strait back down in exactly the same place in the SEB neo.

In F Class or benchrest, set-up is everything.  The Seb NEO with a good Edgewood rear bag is pretty well as good as it gets.  It's the choice of most top F Class shooters. 

If you don't like lugging a 22lb rest around the range, then go for a Seb Mini at half the weight.  Is it as good?  Almost - but more fiddly to set up.  Either rest will more or less 'return to battery' when you push the rifle forward after the shot - if you've set it up properly - and your rear bag is supported in one of Dolphin's aluminium blocks.

If you shoot FTR then of course you must use a bi-pod - and a light one at that.  Some bipods (based on the Remple design) get 'narrower' as you raise them - the Joypod is very light and stays the same width.  It's very popular with FTR competitors. It will move a lot when you shoot and you will usually need to shuffle the rear bag to get back on target.  The joystick offers little adjustment - so much so, I never use it.

If you shoot F Class Open and you want to be competitive, skimping on set-up is not the way to go.

For the record, I have a NEO, Mini and Joypod.

Archived