Target camera/ range finders

2018-06-30-08-11-47.thumb.jpg.8e9c860e92ec249748b5bb1f8a58b7e4.jpgI've just finished building this. Tested to 500m in fields, with trees, hedges and 4ft high lucerne getting in the way of the signal. Unit will eventually be free standing, powered by a lithium ion battery, receiver simply plugs into your mobile (android at the moment but apple would work with a different receiver) phone. Should be good to 1000m over a flat field like most ranges, especially as the transmitter tends to be elevated at the butts. IMG-20180629-WA0017.thumb.jpg.f1f71bd11f2eebe2babcf1d1f81a30f3.jpg

The photo of the paddock taken from 500m away with the phone. A vari focal lens means you can crop into specific areas of a target, rather than the one size fits all approach of commercial units. 

I can upgrade the transmitter if I ever need anything that works up to and over a mile. 

Hello,

There is a thread entitled “Target camera” on June 23rd. There is some information on commercial systems on that thread.

Adrian

If you are shooting anywhere with Wi-Fi and want just a "spotting scope" without any fancy shot plotting software, you could set up an unlimited range system quite easily with two phones or cheap tablets. 

This is a setup I use for short range stuff with no Wi-Fi - just a phone with a clip on lens (£6)  tethered to the tablet. If you have Wi-Fi then the same system has unlimited range if you use skype or similar video service.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well , it's running on batteries. Still yet to test on iphone but I think I need a slightly better resolution camera. It's not 'bad', certainly knocks the caldwell one into a cocked hat, but I want it to be sharp. On the plus side, I tested it out to 600m no problems at all.

Archived