Woodchuck den annealer

6.5shooter

Do any of you chaps have any experience with the woodchuck den annealer? It looks so simple and I imagine not too expensive. 

I would like to try something like this firstly to give it a go to see if its for me and I wont be annealing vast numbers at a time so I imagine if I set all my cases in a tray of water to keep the bases cool and use this annealer it should work ok?

anyone have one or ever made one similar?

thanks

I reckon if your intention is to just prolong the life of your cases a bit it will do the job - If your intention is to improve the consistency of your neck tension for improved accuracy, then I don't think this is the way to go, certainly no better than spinning a case in a socket with a drill and blow torch.

Here you have no precise method of positioning the flame or any precise timing system.

If you're handy, you can build your own.  When I started down this annealing path, this is what I more or less did (plenty of other examples out there on the web).

Homemade Automatic Annealer

It works, but can be finicky to set up when changing cartridges, and keeping the flame constant (I used a secondary pressure regulator in between the propane bottle and nozzle).  All this being said, I finally just bit the bullet and ordered a "AMP" (Annealing Made Easy).  Uber consistent, but pricey.

Like stated above, if you're just trying to extend case life, you proposed method will work.  But you'll probably end up trashing a few cases every now and then, since heating them to the right temperature is difficult.

You just need to decide how far into this you want to go...

JMTCW... 

Archived