24 Hour Emergency Backpack

jay666d

Here in the UK, we don't often suffer from severe weather, but sometimes all it takes is a few inches of snow, and the whole of our little Island can grind to a halt. Towards the end of February 2018, we found ourselves in the midst of 'The Beast From The East' which brought us some late snowfall and caught a lot of people off guard...

I spent one night, from finishing work until the early hours of the next morning driving around in my 4x4 helping people who had got stuck on rural roads.  (The kind of roads where not much traffic passes anyway)  If I hadn't of drove there, there's a high chance that a lot of these people would have had to spend the night in their cars... Or maybe walked (a fair distance) for help or shelter.

I would say that a good 90% of the folk I helped were not equipped for the bad weather and certainly not equipped for a night away from home.

That inspired me to make this video.  :D

• 4 months later...

Good video. We all have different opinions on what is necessary. This is what I keep in the boot of my car, probably time for an update. I was thinking of updating my hiking rucksack and keeping that in the boot.

DSCN4734.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
1 minute ago, Gluv said:

I've got a lenor bottle, an entrenching shovel and a length of kuplex chain . I think I'm prepared for most situations 😉

Gluv🇬🇧

Lenor bottle?  The mind boggles

One of those square plastic boxes (about 9" x 9") with the gasket sealed clip-on lid from Poundshop, 2/3 full of cat litter, covered with a bit of towelling...............works for the ladies as well  😀...................

Pete

1Ltr Yellow Nalgene bottle - wide enough (just 😉) and avoids drinking water mistakes later...

Getting back to the original post:  It reminds me of my ex-brother in law;  they emigrated to Canada and their first winter his car broke down on a country road - guess what he didn't have!  Nearly lost his toes and worse - thankfully a local in a truck scooped him up.  Never ever made that mistake again.

In the back of my truck;  10ltrs diesel, 10ltrs water (drinkable at a push), entrenching tool, rope, small axe, folding saw, powerful LED torch, head torch,  toolkit, jump leads, gaffer tape, folding bucket (only 'cause I've got one),  telescopic wheel brace,  tarpaulin, rucksack with warm synthetic duvet (good in the wet), boots.  A small collection of fasteners, jubilee clips and zip ties.