New Chamberings

Ronin

Iv'e been looking stateside for something different, all this talk of 6mmx47 and 20 Tacticals etc has whet my appetite, so I found these two beauties|:

newallenmags.jpg

Left hand case is a wildcat 17 Remington Ultra Mag.

Right hand case is a 14 WSM

Anyone want to run these through quickload to predict velocities,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Hope I had you going there, they aren't real.. ;)

However, this is:

5mmsmc.jpg

Calibre is 5mmSMC (.20Cal)

You will notice the radiussed shoulder, , which was developed from rocket engineering principles by the inventor of the case.

The claim is that this case will push a 50grain Berger VLD at 3950fps from 32grains of powder (don't know what powder)

Brass is fireformed from stock necked down and trimmed 6mmBR Norma or Lapua brass.

Here's a link to a more in depth article from the inventor......

http://www.superiorballistics.com/VH_Article.htm

Interesting reading,,,,,same powder wheights but more velocity,,,,,hmmmmm?

There's been a couple of articles on this caliber in the Varmint Hunters magazine, it looks very interesting.

If I remember correctly there is factory brass available for it, I think this is made by Norma.

Cheers

Dave

That sounds very interesting 17 rem, what barrel /action you using? wouldnt have thought barrel life would be too sparkling though? Are you planning on a 40 grain bullet ballpark? or are you going for the " balls out nutter speed" of a 32 grainer? :lol: Bugger, i,ll bet it will do 4500 -4800 fps with a 32?....ace. I love my .204, and i,ve an itch to build a custom .20 myself.

I have seen that smc around before, it doesnt seem to offer much over the 20br, suppose its just something different. 17rem what are you building the 20-250 on? What twist are you going for?

The donor action is a Sako A2.

The barrel is a Pac Nor in the ruger varmint profile with a 1 in 9 twist, to handle 50 grain Bergers. If it handles 45 grain Hornady SP's, that'll be a bonus.

I'm not too worried about barrel life- I don't shoot targets, so if it's burnt out after 500 shots, that'll equate to a lot of dead foxes and crows, with a bit of luck!

I've specified a no-turn neck,and ordered the dies (Redding competition dies with two bushings) tonight, together with some SPL as most of the data I've seen is for SPL-coated bullets.

The police weren't half confused- 20-250 isn't recognised by their new computer! Anyway, it's on my ticket now, so there's a precedent set! Birmingham haven't proofed one, and I'd bet my pension that London havent either. I always did like to be different!

It sounds excellent mate, look forward to seeing it. Supply the proof house with 3 cases, and some bullets, and you wont have a problem getting it proofed, in fact, they may ask you first. If you use London, see Geoff, he,s OK.

I am about to order a tac 20 barrel for my cooper myself, steve bowers is going to fit it and bed the cooper at the same time, pac-nor 26 inch 1-11 twist, he isnt able to do the work until next february which suits me fine as by that time ill have well in excess of 2000 rounds down the tube and will be thinking of a re barrel (I am sure the barrel will last longer but I dont settle for long), I was going to go .204 ruger again but may as well try something different, you dont even need to form tac 20 brass anymore as laupa make brass for it now, however I dont think the tac20 will compare in the speed department to the 20-250, I would love to be there to see the speed come up on the chrony, you should be able to get over 4000 fps from a 50g berger shouldnt you? That will give energy figures beyond the 22-250 if you were shooting 50's in it + a trajectory that will make a 22-250 look like a .22lr :lol:

I would love one myself but I dont think I could afford a rebarrel every 3 months, though it will hardly burn a barrel much quicker than the 22-250 itself will it? Considering its shooting the same amount of powder and and velocity with the 50's isnt much more than the 22-250 will shoot 50's. Have fun with it anyhow.

Baldie, I've already spoken to Wayne at the Birmingham proof house, and he's asked me to provide the data as well as the cases!

Andrew, as you'll have guessed, I have 17 Rem's so the smaller sub-calibres are well represented in my cabinet already. I shoot 40 grain bullets from one of my 222's, so don't feel the need for a 20 calibre cartridge to do the same.

Craig, I have data which got a 50 grain Berger to 3992 fps with Varget, so you bet it'll shoot flat! I hope barrel life will be on a par with 22/250, but I'm not worried. It will be fun, that's for sure. I have had e mails from someone in the states who reckons his 20-250 shoots 7" low at 526 yards when he's zeroed at 100! He also gets sub 3" groups at this distance.

We,ve had bad dealings in the past with birmingham, so we use london, but i do know that wayne is "up" on wildcats etc, and you wont have a problem buddy, fingers crossed. The proof house will always work with you, on a wildcat, if you treat them properly, as i,m sure you will.Thats gonna be nice...especially with soft points. Keep us up to speed on it buddy.

Archived