223 roe bullet

sam39

I have got a good few Sierra Game King 55gr 1365 SBT I was planning on loading for Sottish Roe. I have just seen an old post (2014) questioning there suitability for this purpose.

As they do a "Blitz King" (i use 50gr for fox) I presumed a "Game King" would be my Roe round......you know what they say about presuming.

Is anyone loaded these for Roe and used them with good results OR have I made a big mistake? 

I think the main issue with Gamekings in general are that they have quite a stout jacket. In some calibres, they can pinhole like a FMJ.

To be safe, I'd avoid the meat saver shot (behind foreleg into the lungs) and ideally either neck shoot or alternatively drive it directly into the shoulder/foreleg to help aid expansion & grounding of the animal. However, leg shots may not be the best option if the animal is largeish (90kg+). If not driven fast, you may get shallow penetration. 

Personally, and no offence meant, but I think the .224" calibre (in its .222/.223rem for) to be a bit lightweight for deer. The light bullets & small wound channels leaves no margin for error.

Anyhoo - it's legal, so aim straight & good luck!

2 minutes ago, Catch-22 said:

I think the main issue with Gamekings in general are that they have quite a stout jacket. In some calibres, they can pinhole like a FMJ.

To be safe, I'd avoid the meat saver shot (behind foreleg into the lungs) and ideally either neck shoot or alternatively drive it directly into the shoulder/foreleg to help aid expansion & grounding of the animal. However, leg shots may not be the best option if the animal is largeish (90kg+).

OK thanks. I should have said that the concern in the old 2014 post was rapid expansion/explosion / deflection more like a varmint type bullet.

I would like to know what they would do to a Roe at say 100 Meters and are they suitable. The 55gr Sako game kings i use sometimes go all the way and exit but often not just quite leaving a substantial would channel I have had none run off and have dropped them to 170 Meters this is a long shot for me 100M is the norm! but they Knock most down on the spot or a small 20M run   

"Personally, and no offence meant, but I think the .224" calibre (in its .222/.223rem for) to be a bit lightweight for deer. The light bullets & small wound channels leaves no margin for error."

This is interesting I am ready to start using my 243 on roe but so far with the results from the 223 I see no need?  but I have not shot enough Roe for complete proof with each caliber. I presume you have extensively shot Roe with both calibers to decide that a 223 is a tad light? may be the 243 would extend the confidence and range but I am only after a few for the table each year so can pick my shots. I only shoot 20 to 25 a year.. .........but let me tell you out to 170 meters 223 is a killer on roe! 

8 hours ago, banus02 said:

depending on your rifles twist rate you might be able to go to 65gr sp or the speer 70gr sp.i find these very good on muntjac but not legal for roe in southern england.

My twist is not ideal having a 1:12. 

13 hours ago, sam39 said:

"Personally, and no offence meant, but I think the .224" calibre (in its .222/.223rem for) to be a bit lightweight for deer. The light bullets & small wound channels leaves no margin for error."

This is interesting I am ready to start using my 243 on roe but so far with the results from the 223 I see no need?  but I have not shot enough Roe for complete proof with each caliber. I presume you have extensively shot Roe with both calibers to decide that a 223 is a tad light? may be the 243 would extend the confidence and range but I am only after a few for the table each year so can pick my shots. I only shoot 20 to 25 a year.. .........but let me tell you out to 170 meters 223 is a killer on roe! 

No I don't have plenty of experience of stalking with .223 but I know a few people who have and all preferred the switch to a 6mm or above. They reflect what I said, a larger bore diameter, with the ability to drive faster, gave greater flexibility and reduced chance of a wounded deer.

one good reasource is Nathan Foster. He's shot litterally tens of thousands of game (goats, pigs, deer etc) and is very knowledgeable on the subject. Not much in the way of .223 resource as he too feels it's a bit unforgiving unless neck shooting, but there's plenty within the wider .224" knowledge base.

Simply follow the link, select Knowledge base, Cartridge Research, check .224" and pick from the list of cartridges.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html

Very useful reference thank you for that. 243 is the go to Roe round and for a good reason im sure. Reading that I will cap 223 Roe shots to 100M  if i see one out foxing (bullet change of course) and use the 243 for stalking trips.

When I have used up my 223 loading stock I am considering just using the 243.

The sierra 63 grain smp is effective on roe,very easy to tune a load for too.I think the 223,if you are aware of its range limitations ,has a place in a stalkers cabinet,not an open hill caliber for sure,but for close range,forestry use its adequate.

53 minutes ago, drum said:

The sierra 63 grain smp is effective on roe,very easy to tune a load for too.I think the 223,if you are aware of its range limitations ,has a place in a stalkers cabinet,not an open hill caliber for sure,but for close range,forestry use its adequate.

Sounds good 

What twist rate is your rifle re the 63gr?

Ive shot dozens of roe with .223 and have had no issues , it's dropped them more efficiently than bigger calibres including .243 and 6.5 . Put the bullet as tight to shoulder as possible without hitting it and slightly higher than half way up the body and they don't run far if at all . The 63 gr Sierra is a good choice and will shoot in a 1/12 

• 1 year later...
On 4/2/2018 at 3:15 PM, Catch-22 said:

To be safe, I'd avoid the meat saver shot (behind foreleg into the lungs) and ideally either neck shoot or alternatively drive it directly into the shoulder/foreleg to help aid expansion & grounding of the animal. However, leg shots may not be the best option if the animal is largeish (90kg+). If not driven fast, you may get shallow penetration. 

Personally, and no offence meant, but I think the .224" calibre (in its .222/.223rem for) to be a bit lightweight for deer. The light bullets & small wound channels leaves no margin for error.

Never got on to the game kings.

I now use a 6mm to combine longer range gongs and roe legal for England, I did not feel the 223 was not a suitable caliber for Roe. Sako 55gr soft points were great. most shot at 100M some to 170M no way i feel is it a bit light weight at those ranges. I would say perfect. Its all about shot placement not 243 vs 223 

I dont think anyone is shooting "90Kg +" deer with a 244? 25Kg Larder weight is a good Roe or are my scales broken?

On 4/2/2018 at 3:15 PM, Catch-22 said:

Interestingly for me I disagree with everything you have said. 😁

Gameking is far from stout in the 308 and 270 versions I have used. Quite the reverse it is fairly frangible to aid terminal performance at the "longer" ranges. ProHunter is the stout bullet allegedly, can't say I have tried it. No idea about 223 or other calibres though.

223 is a great round for roe at "normal" ranges. I have tended to shoot Roe with the 308 but many of my "best" kills have been with the 223 and with a lot less fuss and mess. It is a more forgiving round to shoot from imperfect positions so you should have less errors to start with. No need to be clever with shot placement either. Just bang it into position A and it will go down. The bigger target will reduce the incidence of errors as well. I have never had any reason to question its efficacy at woodland ranges and the only reason I have tended to carry a 308 in preference was in case I bumped into something larger. 

Can't say I have shot many roe at 90kg but thanks for the tip