Spotting scope tripod or stand suggestions

Can I pick the brains of the collective? I have just obtained a secondhand spotting scope for range use and general wildlife work. I have a camera tripod that I use for viewing from a seated or standing position, and this works OK but I would like a shorter stand/ tripod for use when shooting from prone. I am not after a Rolls Royce solution as I am not a competitive target shooter, I am after something at reasonable cost that works. Any suggestions gratefully received!! 

try the Rollei mini M5 tripod or second option .... the Velbon Ultra maxi mini tripod

Both are very good and will almost go flat which if your using an angled eyepiece is a must for prone .

OSOK

15 hours ago, OSOK said:

try the Rollei mini M5 tripod or second option .... the Velbon Ultra maxi mini tripod

Both are very good and will almost go flat which if your using an angled eyepiece is a must for prone .

OSOK

Thanks for the advice, using a straight eyepiece so can hopefully sit the scope a little further off the ground

l would also recommend that you buy a quick release for attaching the ‘scope to a tripod. l have one on the Velbon tripod which l use with my Optolyth spotter. lt saves a lot of time.

Example:

http://www.birders-store.co.uk/opticron-quick-release-plate-and-shoe.html

maximus otter

I'd recommend as sturdy a tripod as you can afford.  On high magnification, any wobble or wind shake will ruin the sight picture.  I use a beefy Manfrotto tripod which has the option of the legs spaying wide for low camera/scope mounts.  I use their 055 XDB model with my spotting scope.  

Archived