March Genesis

Scotch_egg

Scotch, handled it today at the IWA. Same sort of principle as uso sn9 - which I’ve had a couple of for ELR, however the March gimbal system should be an improvement over the uso ball joint system.

Nope, my ELR days are gone with the AW50. The 338 really never gets used beyond 1km and usually only to 800m these days. The Genesis would not look out of place on the AXMC but it is a question if 60x offers me anything over 40x magnification with regards to seeing shots on target - it’s still a 56mm objective. It’s about resolution rather than magnification. There is time to see how it will be refined  and I will wait for the milrad version anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, 0.05 mrad clicks should not be  an issue, I have them on my March 5-40x56 fx scopes. I guess for an ELR scope they should be standard.

Objective size is always going to be a compromise on an external adjustment scope - bigger  objective = less elevation adjustment before the objective bell contacts the barrel or forend tube. March are making two heights for the actual mount - the one pictured and a higher one for tube guns.  Cheek piece / comfort height is then an issue. Personally having had an 80mm objective on the sn9 anything more than 65mm would awkward for me .

D54CA0A7-405E-4783-BDBB-29EB25C919FA.jpeg

• 1 year later...

SRGNXL, personally I would not buy another one. The two sn9’s I had did not track as consistently as conventional scopes ( on my USO collimator) nor did they hold POI as well which came down to tolerances in the front gimbal. There were also other issues - a long / extended picatinny rail is needed to mount the optic and with a 80mm objective mounting height is very high ( obviously an adjustable cheek piece is needed). Resolution was excellent.

The best of breed of that system would be the March Genesis. From what I understand there are no POI and tracking issues and the integral mount is of reasonable length.

If your not doing a fully  dedicated ELR setup a ‘ normal scope’ with either Ivy mount or Charlie Tac unit would be the way I would go for a more versatile setup.

Thanks that is helpful feedback.what about the AW50 ? I was thinking to acquire one, switch barrel to a 416barrett 38inch, add the LRA fclass bipod on a bigdog spigot and USO sn9

The AW 50’s are an excellent bit of kit. I had the older version with the recoil system ( aka spring) in the butt. This made the cheek piece non adjustable but you could add padding. I also only used it in 50bmg but I got excellent results with lathe turned solids. I always used a Nightforce nsx on that rifle. The USO would have been a non starter due to mounting height.

I would strongly recommend against a USO sn9 scopes having had two 80mm and one 58mm ( the 58mm I only had briefly). The issues were the same - the scopes do not hold poi or track. To explain:  what you have in effect is a front ball / gimbal joint and on the rear two pusher springs holding the tube against two micrometers, that it - that’s all that keeps the scope body in place, now when you turn the front parallax you can see the reticule displace a small amount left or right using a collimator. I came up with a fix of a round pin in the bottom of the gimbal that USO made and installed in my scopes, this solved the rotational shift but you still got vertical shift from shot to shot as you always have some play in the gimbal for the evelation and windage adjustments to function ( ever wonder why the old Unertil scopes had a spring over the scope tube - in essence creating a return to battery system). In the end the scopes to me were not fit for purpose and there are better systems out there as mentioned.