Diggle Benchrest Success

Big Al

Adding to that, I've not heard of F-Class rifles with worn out barrels being restored to good shooting through recrowning. (It is sometimes done though to factory 'precision rifles' - the Model 12 Savages for instance to improve their performance from that out of the box.)

What you're likely thinking of Nick goes back to the days when 6.5-284 Norma was the F-Class cartridge. A common practice was to build the rifle with a maximum length barrel such as 32-inches, remove it at around 800-900 rounds, set it back a fair way and rechamber it. That could extend  barrel accuracy life from the 6.5-284's usual 900-1,100 to as much as 1,300-1,500 rounds. (But this desirable result is apparently not guaranteed and the extra life may be nil to small.)

I believe John Whidden, America's top any-caliber discipline sling shooter, who only shoots 243 Win using heavy bullets in fast-twist long-throat barrels, does a similar thing to extend barrel life with this cartridge - another 'over bore capacity barrel burning' number. (He also runs three rifles at any one time, loads the same ammo spec for all three using light neck tension and over-length COALs in so-called 'soft seating' where throats with different amounts of erosion simply push the bullet back into the case by different amounts.) If one plays around with cartridges like this and use these practices, it helps if you're a gunsmith / rifle builder like Mr Whidden of course.

Congratulations Al.  An outstanding achievement for someone relatively new to benchrest shooting comps.  Well done to you, Si and Darrel.  You should all be justifiably proud of such success.  I wait with baited breath for what you'll create for the light gun class!

2 hours ago, Laurie said:

Adding to that, I've not heard of F-Class rifles with worn out barrels being restored to good shooting through recrowning. (It is sometimes done though to factory 'precision rifles' - the Model 12 Savages for instance to improve their performance from that out of the box.)

What you're likely thinking of Nick goes back to the days when 6.5-284 Norma was the F-Class cartridge. A common practice was to build the rifle with a maximum length barrel such as 32-inches, remove it at around 800-900 rounds, set it back a fair way and rechamber it. That could extend  barrel accuracy life from the 6.5-284's usual 900-1,100 to as much as 1,300-1,500 rounds. (But this desirable result is apparently not guaranteed and the extra life may be nil to small.)

I believe John Whidden, America's top any-caliber discipline sling shooter, who only shoots 243 Win using heavy bullets in fast-twist long-throat barrels, does a similar thing to extend barrel life with this cartridge - another 'over bore capacity barrel burning' number. (He also runs three rifles at any one time, loads the same ammo spec for all three using light neck tension and over-length COALs in so-called 'soft seating' where throats with different amounts of erosion simply push the bullet back into the case by different amounts.) If one plays around with cartridges like this and use these practices, it helps if you're a gunsmith / rifle builder like Mr Whidden of course.

Cheers Laurie, I had heard of this hence why I asked.

thanks 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:43 AM, The Gun Pimp said:

Alan - very well done - you have been a breath of fresh air to UK benchrest - raised the bar and given us all something to aspire to.

You took the words right out of my mouth Vince.    Well said and very true!

13 hours ago, Big Al said:

The state he was inLes he wouldn't have noticed if it was still wet or drawn freehand on a square of bog roll.

I think we should introduce drug testing into the rules, Tramadol abuse could easily be performance enhancing ;)

I wondered why my pocket was all different colours when I got home,,

drugs test!! What do you mean I was as sharp as a razor and that laid back I nearly fell off the chair ?????

Archived