IOR

levelplaying

I had cause to send one back for repair.Emails to ior went unanswered but opticswarehouse sorted everything even though it was originally bought from Border .Scope was sent back repaired and serviced so i was happy with the service.Took a month i seem to recall.

• 9 months later...

I have a ior 6x24x56 ffp scope that I accidently dropped [AAAAAAAARGH] great scope great glass , but the damage was to the windage turret   I contacted ..OPTICS WAREHOUSE.. who asked IOR to send over a turret that I could have fitted myself .After one month of no response from the factory it was advised to send it back to ROMANIA  for repair with a 3 month wait [which seems excessive ]all though no fault of OPTICSWAREHOUSE .So ten weeks have passed and I wait with baited breath on the return of my scope so watch this space?

I had no issues with the glass.the turrets aren't overly  clicky but they are positive and accurate and certainly not mushy..  indeed I have no complaints about the scope it's a great piece of kit . zero stop is not something that I need or use I know how many turns I'm on .my issues are with IOR C's.ie not answering emails , if I hadn't damaged the scope myself I would never found out how bad they are .... unlike Optics warehouse.. from where I purchased the scope, hopefully when it returns I won't drop it again and I'll never have to deal with their customer service again....PS some of the guys in my club have  nfs /s&b/kahles/Steiner/vortex etc and the glass is comparable with any of these cheers

Mixed reports.  Glass is excellent although to my eyes it had a slightly odd colour cast (Recon).  In terms of reliability I know several shooters who had to send their Crusader scopes back following turret failures.  Personally, I found them a little chunky, fab glass though, but for me the dealbreaker was the ret thickness (Don't know if IOR now offer a fine ret but I haven't seen one).  I ended up going down the PMII  route instead with no regrets.  The other scope in the same bracket well worth a look is the new Vortex Razor Gen 2.

Riflescope expert UK(Optics Trade EU?) compared the Terminator to the  big PM2 and were surprised how poorly it stood up,especially in regards to its optical quality. 

Do these professional reviewers have a vested interest?,maybe,so probably best to listen to those who have owned and used one for a while,as they are best placed to offer advice. 

What does surprise me is the varied opinion of these scopes, for some it’s the best they’ve looked through and others are very critical. Is it personal,or is there a variation in quality. 

If you’re still undecided,there’s a lot of other good scopes out there....

I have been in the lucky position to test a lot of scopes recently including the IOR crusader and more recently a PM2 with LRR-Mil ret. I think I could waffle on for hours talking about them both.

The IOR I tested functioned flawlessly and had its features were very impressive - i.e. mag range, the amount of internal adjustment, the simplicity of the turrets etc etc. However, it was a prime example of a scope that will forever split opinion it as simple as that. (optical clarity, position of the parralax adjustment etc) but it is feature rich and performs to a high level which is where IOR gain their following.

On the flip side, the S&B PMII for example quite simply appeals to the masses. Everything is done in a way that satisfies peoples desires (renowned glass, functionality, heritage/reputation, huge range of options etc etc) Does this make it a better scope?

Not necessarily! I think this is where people get in a muddle when comparing/reviewing scopes. After all SO much is about personal preference.

I shall stop waffling now

On 11/15/2018 at 12:23 PM, biged85 said:

I have been in the lucky position to test a lot of scopes recently including the IOR crusader and more recently a PM2 with LRR-Mil ret. I think I could waffle on for hours talking about them both.

The IOR I tested functioned flawlessly and had its features were very impressive - i.e. mag range, the amount of internal adjustment, the simplicity of the turrets etc etc. However, it was a prime example of a scope that will forever split opinion it as simple as that. (optical clarity, position of the parralax adjustment etc) but it is feature rich and performs to a high level which is where IOR gain their following.

On the flip side, the S&B PMII for example quite simply appeals to the masses. Everything is done in a way that satisfies peoples desires (renowned glass, functionality, heritage/reputation, huge range of options etc etc) Does this make it a better scope?

Not necessarily! I think this is where people get in a muddle when comparing/reviewing scopes. After all SO much is about personal preference.

I shall stop waffling now

We don't review scopes though...we use them.  I don't think personal preference counts for much with scopes...they're either fit for purpose or they're not.   They either measure up to your requirements, or they don't.   I have used them professionally as well as for leisure sport shooting and have always reverted to a scope that does the job in hand reliably and with the optical quality that cuts the mustard.  Feature rich scopes are like feature rich cars....mostly redundant flippery. The PM2 is popular for a reason...it has nothing that doesn't need to be there,  isn't perfect but has proved reliable the world over and with superb glass and turrets with possibly the simplest zero-stop system in existence.  It's reliable, rugged and fit for purpose.   "Better" needs definition.  Better at what?  Optical resolution?  Reliability?  Tracking error?  It's pretty good at all of those things, if not the best at any of them. The IORs divide opinion precisely because of their model specific odd colour cast (done for a reason to aid contrast in low light perhaps?) because of the thick rets and because of the so-so reliability record.  Get a good 'un and it's probably going to be the mutt's nuts.  Personally I love the way they handle and like the glass.    Get the odd Friday afternoon one and you may wish you hadn't bothered.  There seems to be a fair few conflicting opinions and that in itself puts a lot of people off especially at the price.

Im lucky to own both the Terminator and also a 12-50 pm11, now if i put them side to side i would say the PM11 has the edge, only because of eye relief, optically i would say the terminator has a better glass at a distance 1000yds or so, now I'm in my mid late fifties ,so maybe not the best eye sight, now  a lot of what people say about scopes is  surely all about how good your eye sight is ?  yes the Terminator is a heavy biggish scope but works fantastically in all areas.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm afraid I don't know know the answer to that but 3 months seems long enough to be chasing someone up!   The fact that a few that I know had problems with their Crusaders steered me towards the PMII when I was looking for a reliable top tier LR scope and was enough to put me off the idea of an IOR no-matter what I thought of the glass (which is excellent).

Yesterday had the opportunity to compare side by side on range at 100-300m targets my IOR crusader against a Hensoldt 4-16x56 FF scope ( in fact several of them). To my eyes the Hensoldt has a wider FOV and I preferred the bluish cast to the glass over the yellowish of the IOR. However with both scopes set at 16x ( max for Hensoldt) both resolution and depth of field was significantly better with the IOR. Btw the Hensoldt had better resolution than a couple of S&B 4-16x56 pm2 scope that I also looked through side by side at the same time. Weather conditions were overcast and wet.

I have previously done a similar test against my Kahles 624i against the IOR with much the same results- Kahles has slightly better FOV but resolution and depth of field were much better with the IOR.

I am waiting for a S&B 5-45x56 pm2 to arrive with the new LRR reticle and will do a review of the IOR vs March fx 5-40x56 vs S&B 5-45x56. The test should favour the March and S&B as there will be two of each scope compared to only one IOR. I also want to get younger eyes than mine to look through the scopes side by side as well.

I bought the IOR on a whim just as a tester to put up against the S&B and March. It has turned out to be a most impressive scope.

As I mentioned earlier my scope was the mutts nuts and worked perfectly in all aspects until I dropped it and damaged the windage turret . Personally I wouldn't have thought it wouldn't have been a problem to drop a replacement turret in a jiffy bag and send it to me(I can buy hawke or sightron turrets easily) but no it had to be sent back to the factory .I thought when optics warehouse said expect 3 months I thought they were being .. overly cautious.. and that I would have it returned sooner . only to be told on Monday that IOR are ... dealing with it.... whatever that means 

If only their customer service was the same quality as their glass cheers 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...