17H - 18, 20 or 22 inch barrel . . .

My HW came from the factory with an 18 inch barrel, very handy out of a motor.  Nothing I have shot so far has noticed.  If you want to wreak the last FPS out of it and are not bothered about length then don't cut it from its factory spec.

Love it the build quality, accuracy and trigger are absolutely sublime.  If I were you I would order one of your choice and endure the wait. Buying a Sako and having a new barrel will be probably £1500 bare minimum if you can find a donor and as an owner of many Sako's past and present the HW is better quality.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/16/2018 at 2:36 PM, David Hancock said:

. . .. advice on optimum length.  It's going to a varmint gun not a stumpy truck gun

Leave it long. You can always cut some off but going the other way? Not so much. Twenty two inches was optimal for my 17 Mach IV. Should be great for the 17 Hornet.~Andrew

A shame ballistics by the inch haven't got to the .17 Hornet yet!

I'm also interested, having picked up a CZ 527 varmint recently, which is 24" out of the box and trimming some weight is tempting. As the optimal barrel length for HMR velocity is 19" I can't see it being less than 20"? It would be interesting to see optimal burn characteristics for common powders.

If any kind soul happens to have Quick Load handy, I would be very interested to see the difference between N110 and N120 relative to 20/22/24" barrel lengths, I have a load of 17gn VMAX heads to play with and musing which powder to go for, Viht is always available my way.

Edit: came across some 24" data velocity data here  https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25829 be great to see some different barrel lengths for 17gn.

Did you order a jagdmatch David ? I'm going for a weirhrauch in 17 hornet just haven't settled on jagdmatch or 66 thumbhole stock,also looking for  which mod do you rate as best any advice apprec

On 5/22/2018 at 11:02 AM, David Hancock said:

1in9 - The two HW66 Jagd-Match rifles on Guntrader are 18inch.  If Weihrauch did not think they would perform then they would not produce them.

Me, being me, I would still prefer a 20" which is a 4/5 month special order

Villa,  I've just sorted out tax and car tyres to I know now how much cash I have to play with  You know how it goes.  The Jagd-Match is still my favourite.    I don't like the feel of the TH stock.  Mod wise, people recommend the Wildcat Panther for its effectiveness.  

Thanks for that David ,I have an Anschutz 1417 thumbhole which I love ,hence considering that option for the hornet I'm told 12 weeks approx which is ok by me as it gives me time to save ,I've not handled the thumbhole stock Weihrauch, sounds like the wildcat is the way to go I'll let you know once I make up my mind and order cheers..

I have an Anschutz 1771 in 17 Hornet, I went for this primarily over the Weihrauch because I loved my old 1517 HMR. it was such a quality product and it had 5 shot mags not 4.

I had to wait about 4 months from ordering to get it and it didn't even come screw cut, although I understand you can now get them with factory cut barrels. I sent mine straight to Neil McKillop who shortened it to 18" and fitted it into a GRS stock for me, something he swore he wouldn't do again as it was a right PITA to do. Fortunately Anschutz now do a lovely picatinny rail for this action as originally I thought I might have to get one made.

The rifle shoots great, about 1/2 MOA or better with the Hornady 20gr factory ammo, I have no intention of reloading for this rifle as I will use too much much and high volume reloading holds no interest for me whatsoever. It is pretty much point and shoot out to 200 yards as long as it is not windy, it is more affected by the wind than I thought it would be but it is only a 20 gr bullet after all.

Unfortunately the rifle has had to go back to RUAG as I have been having feed problems, when the mags are full and you draw the bolt back over it, it was pulling the top round over the back rim of the round below which jams up the mag and means you ruin the tip of the 2nd round down when you push the bolt forward. A real pain in the arse in what has otherwise been a very positive experience.

Hopefully they will get it sorted ASAP

I saw your GRS blank when I was at Neil's, he was quoting quite a while to inlet it, so glad its turned out to your liking!

I have a 22" HW66 JM. It was sub-MOA with factory stuff but I'm getting some very small groups reloading with D063. I'm also developing the cheapo 17gr Kranks bullets for short range use and the 25gr Vmax to replace the 20s, as as you say, the cartridges biggest shortfall is any kind of wind. From other users experience the 25gr's hold up quite a bit better.

Regards feeding, the rim of the hornet cartridge seems to make feeding a bit hit and miss. The HW66 mag is 4 shot, but if you run much longer than factory OAL its a 3 shot; the 4th wont stack properly (rim gets stuck in front of the rim of the round below it, and thus loses a few mm of length capacity). 

2 hours ago, GT3_richy said:

I saw your GRS blank when I was at Neil's, he was quoting quite a while to inlet it, so glad its turned out to your liking!

I have a 22" HW66 JM. It was sub-MOA with factory stuff but I'm getting some very small groups reloading with D063. I'm also developing the cheapo 17gr Kranks bullets for short range use and the 25gr Vmax to replace the 20s, as as you say, the cartridges biggest shortfall is any kind of wind. From other users experience the 25gr's hold up quite a bit better.

Regards feeding, the rim of the hornet cartridge seems to make feeding a bit hit and miss. The HW66 mag is 4 shot, but if you run much longer than factory OAL its a 3 shot; the 4th wont stack properly (rim gets stuck in front of the rim of the round below it, and thus loses a few mm of length capacity). 

We are doing very well with the 25grn vmax and HP at some good distance, we are working with some 30grn HP at the moment using the same powder DO63. 

I was tempted with the HW66 but only right handed versions available no good for me .

Archived