Best place to buy a Bedlington Whippet puppy???

chaz

Hi folks, Since the loss of my lovely Milly a couple of months ago, i'm thinking of getting/buying a Bedlington Whippet. I've away's had rescue dogs with various hang-ups that have been hard work, beyond the normal hard work a puppy can be that is... Not that i am bothered by this though. But what i have found over the years, is the last 2 dogs from Dog Trust have not been keen on males. I have to admit that at times this has stressed me out a bit. Mainly as the one dog did nothing but pine for the entire time my wife was out at work. Despite lots of distraction. And the other, which we still have, as we had her from a pup does the same. I presume it's been down to most scum bag dog abusers are male...

So this time, i'm trying to locate a Bedlington-Whippet Pup from a breeder, or reputable source that has no behavioural issues already ingrained, from abuse from previous, or breeder owners. I've never paid for a dog before, but for once i want to have a dog that is happy in my company, (As i'm disabled and at home most of the time) and not pine for a female all the time. Granted, this is no guarantee, but it's a better bet. And having had a Bed/Whippet before, i like the breed. But being a novice, I've no idea how to avoid cruel 'puppy farms'. Apart from insisting on seeing the dogs parents, looking out for 'staged' loving and caring enviraments in the house. And checking out all documents given with the various agencies. Along with vacinations and worming.

Some advice would be appreciated. Although, my mind is made up on having a Bedlington-Whippet. The dog would a pet, but will go for plenty of walks, and if possible come shooting with me.

Thanks in advance.

Chaz

My sister has a beddie/whippet Chaz. He was a dogs trust  animal, and came with lots of behavioural problems. She put the time in, and he's made a cracker, and what a character. She recently took a bigger lurcher on from the same place. As soon as I saw it, i gave her a warning. The bitch had a lot of Irish wheaten terrier blood, mixed in with deerhound/greyhound. I told her it was a hand grenade, and i was right. Fine with the beddie, but show it another dog, and it turned into a killer. It had to go.

The beddie/whippet is quite obviously a purpose cross, usually for rabbiting. They make excellent workers and will [or rather, did ;) ] take fox...they certainly have the courage. A good place to start would be the Countrymans weekly magazine. You will find breeders in there who have regular litters, and I suppose you could call some puppy farmers, but you will be hard pressed to find someone purposely breeding these, which isn't.

My last lurcher, a Deerhound/Greyhound, was from one of only two know breeders in the UK, as a purpose bred animal from working stock. He was fine, as was a collie/greyhound I bought from David Hancock, many years ago.He was recknowned in the lurcher world as a puppy farmer, but the dogs were honestly bred, and usually made excellent workers.

I would choose a Lurcher for character, loyalty, friendship and sheer fun.

We have a Wheaton Collie Lurcher and I have become quite a fan of him since he arrived from a kennel at 15 months old. he did take some work and is still far too clever for his own good however he makes a good companion for us and our working Labrador plus a Lurcher in full flight is a sight to behold.

Just one thing, a good friend once old me 'Lurcher's steal things and cause fights' Not sure about fights however he will even pinch tools off the bench in the workshop given the chance...

Thanks very much for the replies folks. I have had one previously, but i appreciate all 'same breeds' are not the same. If that makes sense... 'Silver' was a beautiful bitch, in silver grey with white paws. I walked her for around an hour. Through groups of people, other dogs and cars. She handled it first class! But nobody wanted her just because she was 7 years of age! We attended the 'charity dog show' (mainly for ex- track dogs, but lots of other breeds) with one x breed whippet and left with 2! But only as i knew the owner of the rescue center from work, and we had already had a whippet bitch cross from her....  And to cut a long story short, we arrived with 1 dog and left with 2! She was an amazing dog. So full of fun, life and mischief! It was amazing to see them play together. Silver would run across the lounge, jump onto the sofa, then bounce right over the back to catch our other dog unaware! Which we were told, was a whippet X Beagle. And her markings and and ears did look Beagle..  I just wish we could go back in time......   I'll have a look at  'The Hunting Life' .

Much appreciated folks. And more replies are welcome.

Cheers

Chaz                                                                                  

I do like the Pure Beds, but like the mix of the 2 more. I'm concerned about buying a pup, and finding out when she grows that shes not a Bed/Whippet. As i'll already be too attached to let her go by then. It probably sounds an odd thing to be concerned about, but I'm really after the breed I want, and have paid for.

it might be worth looking in the countrymans weekly.  There used to be a guy called David Hancock who used to breed lurchers.  I think he used to do a lot of first cross collie /greyhound

If he is still on the go then he might know of bedlington/whippet crosses

David Hancock is just a puppy farmer bonny dogs mind , if you can find a bedlington  from George newcome line cracking line.

ive grown up working with lurchers mainly 1/2 cross collie/greyhounds and irish wheaton/greyhound , also had the pleasure of working a beddy/whippet with George newcome,  very nice working dog.

On 16/01/2018 at 11:53 PM, Furyan said:

David Hancock is just a puppy farmer bonny dogs mind , if you can find a bedlington  from George newcome line cracking line.

ive grown up working with lurchers mainly 1/2 cross collie/greyhounds and irish wheaton/greyhound , also had the pleasure of working a beddy/whippet with George newcome,  very nice working dog.

You are a lucky man. George Newcombe was a man I'd love to have met.

If memory serves me, his strain was known as "Rillington" after the village he lived in near Scarborough ?

I found and picked up my little 'Poppy' from Newcastle Under Lyme yesterday. She's a first cross Whippet X Bedlington Terrier. And very lively! She came with full details, and my wife and i are very pleased.

However, i have a question. This tiny little bundle is scaring my 4 year old Spaniel cross!    My Bedy cross keeps chasing my Spaniel X around the house. Ending numerous times in my Spaniel X growling and showing her teeth at the Bedy pup close up. Which caused the Bedy to run for the hills the first couple of times. Then she got it into her head that my Spaniel X was only doing it as she was 'playing'. As a result i'm finding the Bedy chasing the Spaniel X around and hearing lots of growling from my Spaniel X. 

Is this normal? From memory it is..... But i'll worried my Bedy may push it too far causing my Spaniel X to bite her. Albeit, it's never happened with our other dogs, when the Spaniel met our little terrier who had to be put to sleep.

Should i just let them get on with it, and let them sort it all out themselves. Or should i be more cautious about any possible fighting?

Constructive replies would be very welcome!! :)

Poppy.jpg

Leave them to it, they will find their own positions and if it takes a a good telling off from the Spaniel X then so be it. We currently have a Lurcher and a Labrador and went through a similar thing when the Lurcher arrived, he eventually got a good telling off by the Lab and learnt where he stood.

EDIT - I should have added it is equally important to be ready to step in if things do go pear shaped. I know of someone whose Lurcher adolescent recently picked up one of his working terrier and gave it a good shaking, probably just testing its boundaries however it was stopped fairly and firmly on the spot.

6 hours ago, Davy said:

Leave them to it, they will find their own positions and if it takes a a good telling off from the Spaniel X then so be it. We currently have a Lurcher and a Labrador and went through a similar thing when the Lurcher arrived, he eventually got a good telling off by the Lab and learnt where he stood.

EDIT - I should have added it is equally important to be ready to step in if things do go pear shaped. I know of someone whose Lurcher adolescent recently picked up one of his working terrier and gave it a good shaking, probably just testing its boundaries however it was stopped fairly and firmly on the spot.

I agree with you Davy, but my Mrs keeps objecting to it. The pup has got in the face of our Spaniel X twice now, and the Spaniel bared her teeth and let a good old growl. The pup ran straight into her crate for a short time. This has happened twice. But it keeps going back for more. 

We've now got an issue with her not sleeping in her crate. We've kept to this, but i'm shattered, after 2 nights of little sleep while the pup squeals and yelps for hours on end! 

:(

Leave them to sort it out BUT i will say this with the beddlington part in the cross they can be a bit fiery , hopefully the spaniel with take control .

Any idea which the line of beddlington is from. Nice looking pup (Poppy) I know of one that was called daisy she was a right little B##TARD near anything else brilliant with kids/adults but that's it get it working on rats it was fine .

Enjoy the pup mate

Spooky, she was almost going to be called Daisy, but i was out voted. Shes only 10 weeks old, but already fronting out our Spaniel X ! 

Not a lot known about the Bedlington Terrier, as he was for hire to stud, in the Newcastle area. The only thing i have is a picture of the Bedy known as 'Bill' and came with a certificate stating he was clear of copper toxicosis. Admittedly it could be a con with the Bedy side, but i don't really care as the pup is mainly for a pet. Although she's already ragging her fury toys about like shes killing rats! Great fun but very tiring.....:wacko:

Just thought i'd give an up-date. The Bedy-Whippet and Spaniel X are getting on great now. As some of you said, i kept an eye on it but left them to it when the Mrs was out. One day the Spaniel X (Maisie) had enough and snapped her mouth at the Bedy (Poppy) and made a half hearted attempt at going for her. The Bedy threw herself to the floor and literally rolled over exposing her underside. Classic submission!  Now they get on great! Although the balance of 'power' seems to be slipping away from my Spaniel X as the pup gains confidence. She rarely rolls over now. Instead she just ignores the growling and teeth showing, and just barks at her! :lol:

I now have a problem with crate training, but i'll start a new thread...

Archived